PDA

View Full Version : 5D MkIII auto white balance problem

eldarhau
10-13-2012, 07:42 AM
In general I am very happy with my 5DIII. It is a big leap over the 5DII in every department. But there is one area where I`m constantly disappointed, which is AWB when the main color is green, especially in forests. I know this is challenging conditions, but still.
Very often/most cases, I get a too cold result, with bluish colors. Typically the AWB ends on around 4200-4500K, when a more correct result should have been 5200-5500K. Have anyone else experienced the same problem?

neuroanatomist
10-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Canon's AWB isn't great except in bright sunlight. Fortunately, as long as you're shooting RAW, it's not a big concern.

shutterdown
10-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Another thing you can do is take along a note pad, and jot down the preferred white balance for each setting. Then, do a custom white balance for that scene.

If you find that the 5200-5500K is best for the forest, set your custom white balance with that. Otherwise, if shooting RAW, as John said, just fix it later.

eldarhau
11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the interest and insight.
Yes, there are work-arounds. I always shoot in RAW, so the post processing in Lightroom works. But sometimes on events, where you run in and out, with very different white balance conditions, and a requirement to send off images fast, I must use jpegs right off the camera. The solution in those cases has become to use the new 1DX instead of the 5DIII, which has much less of a problem with AWB.