PDA

View Full Version : 1D MK IV or wait?

wildstraw
03-28-2013, 11:14 AM
So im a photography student, slowly setting up a business, and getting into the gist of things. Currently have a 60D, 70-200 f/2.8 mk I, efs 15-85, and 50mm 1.8, a fairly standard kit. Im looking at upgrading.

Currently my focus is on a little of everything just to get my feet off the ground. so a little commercial (studio product, architecture), landscape, some wedding, etc etc. But the aim is to eventually move 'solely' into sports, and in particular snow sports.
Im currently looking pretty heavily into buying a 1D mk IV and selling my 60D and efs lens, then maybe buying something wide like the 17-40 f4, or if i can save enough, maybe the 24-70, but the list of dream lenses goes on.

my question is, is it worth buying the mk IV or should i wait another year or so for something like the 7D mk II (if its ever gonna come out) or save my but off, maybe trade in a few of my brothers and sisters, to buy a 1dx?

I've got my eye on a few mk IV's that are selling under the $3000 (AUS) mark (which at the moment is WELL and truly my budget) with anywhere between 10k and 70k actuations, and all in good nick (currently looking at a 77K one in fantastic condition on auction on ebay starting at $2000). they are rated at 300k actuations, so i figure at 77k they should still have plenty of life in them, but if all else fails its only like $400ish for a new shutter assembly, right? ...

In my opinion from the research ive done, the mk IV still holds its own, and certainly isnt quite outdated yet (but im not 100% sure in terms of !SO and resolution). but will it be outdated too soon in the future? Should I just hold off and wait for something better to come out in my price range, or hold on for a second hand 1dx in the next 18-24 months?

Any help would be much appreciated. THANKS!

Will

Joel Eade
03-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Will,

I started with a 40D, then a used 1DMKIII and then a used 1DMKIV and now I have added a 1DX. The 1DX is an upgrade from the 1DMKIV especially in high ISO performance but I think for what you want to do a used 1DMKIV will perform very well and if you are successful then as your budget allows you can always add a 1DX later. By that point you might be able to get a good used 1DX. The 1DMKIV will certainly "hold it's own" for outdoor sports, the AF is fast and accurate, the frame rate is amazing and image quality is tops.... I kept mine.

HDNitehawk
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
For every type of photography you mention that you do, except sports, the 5D III would be a better choice.
For sports if you can't afford the 1D X the 1D IV is the way to go.

The 7D II is still a rumor. It may be another year before we see it, if at all.

Kayaker72
03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the old camera bodies do not lose function with new releases. All the hype may make it seem otherwise, but they are just as good as they ever were. So old camera bodies, especially the 1D series, are still "awesome." Just that the newer bodies, such as the 1Dx is "awesome.......er".

I agree with Joel, a used 1DIV sounds like a good option for you. It will let you take professional level photographs within your budget. I will throw out that at 6 fps, the 5DIII shouldn't be discounted for sports and will give you a lot of the recent advances such as high ISO performance. But I understand the draw of the 1DIV.

EDIT...missed HDNitehawk's (Rick's) post while writing mine. For your budget, I think considering the 5DIII and older 1D series bodies would be wise. The 7DII may or may not be released in 2013. It may or may not be within your price range. It may or may not be a significant upgrade over the 7D. That is a lot of unknowns. You can only buy what someone is selling and right now, the 7DII doesn't exist.

wildstraw
03-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Yeah thanks for the advice guys. I was really just wondering if you all still believed the mark IV performed like it used to, and I think you've all answered that. My heart is pretty set on getting one now!

I'd definitely look into getting the 5d mkIII, I've used one and its an amazing camera, but I really want the frame rate of the 1d. My 60D almost gives the same as the 5D and it just isn't quite enough to know you're getting the shot you need.

Do you think 77,000 actuations on a 1d is a little too many to be buying second hand? Or does it just mean I shouldn't really bid above $2500?

Also, what wide lens would you recommend with it? The 17-14 caught my eye coz it got a fairly good review here, and is ridiculously cheap, but what else would do the job for a similar price?

HDNitehawk
03-29-2013, 01:08 AM
77000 actuations wouldn't bother me. This is what I would watch for; the 1D IV is a pro body and may have been used professionaly. Professionally used doesn't mean professionally cared for. It means the guy was getting paid to get the shots. I have watched the pro's at sporting events and they are very rough with their equipment. They use it hard and put it up wet. If you found someone like myself that owned one, and I bet Joel's 1D IV is the same way, we treat our camera's like babies. They may get used hard but the get taken care of because of the investment and pride we have in the camera.

$2500 US would be cheap if you can get it for that.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5327/7083656345_6b736bf0d2_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55888666@N08/7083656345/)
Nascar Photog 102 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55888666@N08/7083656345/) by hdnitehawk01 (http://www.flickr.com/people/55888666@N08/), on Flickr

As for wide, when you say that it kind of goes against the grain of how I view mine. I have a 5D II and use it for everything wide. The 1D IV is made and designed for the white lenses. Even its AF system seems to favor those lenses. But if I had to pick a "wide" lens for it I would use the 16-35mm f/2.8L II.

wildstraw
03-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Yeah this one looks like its in pretty good nick. There are a dozen photos of it uploaded and only one or two rub marks on the usual spots, otherwise it looks pristine, so im pretty confident it is in good condition.

Yep, i wouldnt be taking many landscapes or things like that on it, but there are many times when you need wide and a fast frame rate in sport, especially snow sports so you can get some nice drama in the background and still hammer off the shutter to get the right shot. thanks for the advice anyway, ill look into the 16-35!

clemmb
03-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Yeah thanks for the advice guys. I was really just wondering if you all still believed the mark IV performed like it used to, and I think you've all answered that. My heart is pretty set on getting one now!

I'd definitely look into getting the 5d mkIII, I've used one and its an amazing camera, but I really want the frame rate of the 1d. My 60D almost gives the same as the 5D and it just isn't quite enough to know you're getting the shot you need.

Do you think 77,000 actuations on a 1d is a little too many to be buying second hand? Or does it just mean I shouldn't really bid above $2500?

Also, what wide lens would you recommend with it? The 17-14 caught my eye coz it got a fairly good review here, and is ridiculously cheap, but what else would do the job for a similar price?
Will,
I also would not hesitate to get a used 1D with 77k clicks. As for the 17-40 on a 1D, I would also recommend. I have two 24-105's. The 24 is wide enough for my taste on my 5D but not always wide enough on my 1DmkIIn which by the way I love for sports but also use at weddings. Here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/markclemphotography/sets/72157629135467212/) you will find some test shots with my 17-40 on my 1D and my 5D. Here is an example of a landscape with my 1D @ 17mm:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/8036165020_f62e8511c8.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/markclemphotography/8036165020/)
IMG_0273 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/markclemphotography/8036165020/) by clemmb60 (http://www.flickr.com/people/markclemphotography/), on Flickr
Hope this helps

wildstraw
03-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Will,
I also would not hesitate to get a used 1D with 77k clicks. As for the 17-40 on a 1D, I would also recommend. I have two 24-105's.

Beautiful photo, lovely colour, does the distortion sometimes seem too much to cope with? I'd love to get a 24-70, or 24-105, but the extra money on top of the camera is just too much at the moment. I think with the equipment I've already got the 17-40 is my best bet for the time being. I just want something wide that i can walk around with, coupled with my 50mm, and the 70-200. i think my next purchase will be a 35mm after that, and EVENTUALLY a 400 2.8! ah but the list goes on and on and ON! haha

Joel Eade
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
77000 actuations wouldn't bother me. This is what I would watch for; the 1D IV is a pro body and may have been used professionaly. Professionally used doesn't mean professionally cared for. It means the guy was getting paid to get the shots. I have watched the pro's at sporting events and they are very rough with their equipment. They use it hard and put it up wet. If you found someone like myself that owned one, and I bet Joel's 1D IV is the same way, we treat our camera's like babies. They may get used hard but the get taken care of because of the investment and pride we have in the camera.

$2500 US would be cheap if you can get it for that.

Spot on assessment...pro's will use the equipment just like you would use a hammer or screw driver....a tool to get the job done. The 1D series is tough enough to take it but I bet the one with only 77K shutter actuations was NOT used by someone making their living from it. By the way, the 1D MKIII that I bought used had over 500,000 shots on it when I sold it with no problems.

And yes....my 1DMKIV is spotless:)

clemmb
03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Beautiful photo, lovely colour, does the distortion sometimes seem too much to cope with?
Thanks. That was taken in Alaska. The distortion seems too much sometimes on my 5D but not on my 1D. I prefer my 24-105 for my walk around but the 17-40 on a 1D also makes a good walk around lens.