PDA

View Full Version : I need help/suggestions for dealing with a broken lens...

salmagundi
04-15-2009, 11:33 PM
So here's my problem,

I took my camera (a 40d with a 17-40L) treeplanting this year and today...well...while on a gnarly cutblock I tripped and fell and my camera hit a rock and the lens body broke off completely from the lens mount. Its a clean break and I can fit the two pieces back together perfectly making me think I could just glue it back together but I got an 'error 01' when I tried to see if would autofocus still. So a connection somewhere is broken or I don't know what.

My question is basically, is there any hope for me getting this lens fixed or am I screwed. This is really crappy because I bought this lens specifically to bring treeplanting and two weeks in I'm already dead in the water and out what is (for me at least) a fairly pricey lens.

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks in advance, this is easily my favourite photo-forum...

Sean Setters
04-15-2009, 11:35 PM
I think your only hope is sending it into a canon service facility. It won't be necessarily cheap, but it'll be less than the price of a new lens. What do you guys think?

The only experience I have with a service facility was a warranty repair/recalibration. It took about between 3 and 4 weeks to get my lens back, but I was pleased with the experience...

Colin
04-16-2009, 01:48 AM
They fixed my 16-35 for free when something got bent via my dropping it a few times in the autofocus mechanism.

if the optics are fine, it may be a relatively benign thing to replace a mount and a PCB board, perhaps...

Can't say until you know, so send it in, and cross your fingers. Maybe rent the 18-55 kit lens until it comes back [:)]