PDA

View Full Version : Removing AF from shutter release

Bill W
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Just out of curiosity....how many of you have moved your AF from the shutter release to the AF-ON button? I have the 40D body.

I have found this change to be much better for capturing wildlife and my photography in general.

Was this a revelation on my part or just a standard operational procedure? In my reading I haven't come across any suggestions for this adjustment.

Thoughts?

Regards

Bill

steve_m
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
I went to a wildlife photography seminar last Sat. The seminar was presented by John and Barbara Gerlach. It was a good seminar. Anyway, they stressed using the back button for focusing. I tried it and I really like it.

For landscape shots, I find a focus point using the back button. Then recompose the shot and the focus stays the same but I can now recompose and shoot even if a focus point now happens to be in the sky. I love it!

Mark Elberson
04-24-2009, 10:27 AM
On my 50D I have it programmed so that I can use either the AF-ON button or the shutter release to auto focus. If I don't want the shutter release to "over-ride" the AF-ON buttonI have to hold the AF-ON button while hitting the shutter release. I forget what custom setting this is, but for me I like that I can still use the shutter release to start AF if I want to without having to go into the custom menu.

Bob
04-24-2009, 12:40 PM
<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]If you press and hold the "AF-ON" -- recompose, then press the shutter release, you are focusing on the AF-ON subject.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]What are you doing different?<o:p></o:p>

Bill W
04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Bob, if your question is pointed towards me.

I have set my AF-ON/Shutter release to (located in Custom Function lV (C.Fn. lV): Operation/Others #2) in the Menu section of my 40D.

I use this setting for my wildlife photography (e.g. birds). It allows the exposure to be measured when the picture is taken, but you can press the AF-ON button to activate or halt the AF process as the bird jumps around on branches or flying.

I find this set up works faster and maintains focus for me while tracking a fast moving subject; i.e. maintaining IS (shutter button partially depressed) and quickly refocusing (by using my thumb to activate the AF-ON button) flying birds. Also, obviously, allows for re-composition w/a still bird.

I hope this helps clarifies what I'm doing and why Bob.

Regards

Bill

Ehcalum
04-24-2009, 02:52 PM
I back button focus probaly 90% of the time, cept I use the astrick expouser lock rather than the af-on button because i shoot portriate in a vertical grip 98% of the time.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't use it, one less thing to memorize.

Mark Elberson
04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
<span style="font-size: 6pt; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]If you press and hold the "AF-ON" -- recompose, then press the shutter release, you are focusing on the AF-ON subject.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]What are you doing different?

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

There is one setting where AF is ONLY controlled by the AF-ON button which deactivates the shutter release as an AF trigger. There is another setting where AF is controlled by either the AF-ON button or the shutter release. I don't necessarily want to give up being able to AF with the shutter release but I do like the idea of being able to use the AF-ON button instead. With this particular setting though you have HOLD the AF-ON button or when you go to take the picture the shutter release button will re-focus.

Keith B
04-25-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't use it, one less thing to memorize.

RIGHT!

peety3
04-25-2009, 12:29 AM
I back button focus probably 90% of the time, except I use the asterisk exposure lock rather than the AF-ON button because I shoot portrait in a vertical grip 98% of the time.

I assume this means you make the button swap because your grip doesn't have an AF-ON button.

peety3
04-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Just out of curiosity....how many of you have moved your AF from the shutter release to the AF-ON button? I have the 40D body.

I have found this change to be much better for capturing wildlife and my photography in general.

Was this a revelation on my part or just a standard operational procedure? In my reading I haven't come across any suggestions for this adjustment.

I tried it, and went back. AF-ON is mapped as an AF-stop button, so I can drop into One-Shot(-like) mode whenever I need.

I've read about the AF-ON methods in several places, mostly sports and wildlife photography. I just don't find it natural - if I'm already holding the camera in my right hand, most likely needing an opposing thumb to be helping with the grab, I don't want to have to use that thumb for another heavy-duty user input function. Again, that's just me. If I wasn't shooting so many different kinds of things, I might find it useful.