PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a discreet camera bag...

jhenderson
04-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi,

You'd think this would be easy... Suggestions would be most welcome... I am looking for a discreet (and therefore less stealable) looking camera shoulder bag to house my normal walkaround gear. I would like to house a Canon 50D with a an attached 24-105 F4L lens (Don't ask how i arrived at that particular combination, it is a long story involving breakages and free replacements - albeit it is a system that now works nicely for me [:)])

That bit is easy, but i also want to keep my 70-200 F4L zoom in it at the same time -Not attached though.

On looks, the Lowepro Classfied 140AW looks good - especially with the toploading -but cannot tell if it would fit these 2 items (Photos and dimensions don't make it obvious). The alternative looks like the Nova 170AW, but does look more "camera" obvious. Has anyone tried anything like this combination?

I have been looking at Lowepro as i have had repeated good experience with them, but am not tied to them so could easily go for another make...

quattrophinia
04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe you need to look at a not so known "camera" brand bag? Lowepro to me says " Look, I have a camera inside" and the larger the bag, the more expensive the gear is..

I use Lowepro bags and they are great but I keep them very close to me at all times..

[;)]

EdN
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
What I use are Lowpro camera and lens cases. Whenever I am out anywhere, they all go inside a non-descript backpack. Take them out when I am out in the field and put them away after the shoot is over. It keeps everything "low profile" but protects it all.

ShutterbugJohan
04-27-2009, 01:54 PM
You might want to try one of Crumpler's bags. Their Million Dollar Home series is fairly popular and doesn't look like a camera bag.

Dallasphotog
04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
My daughter uses a Canon backpack that appears pretty non-descript. You might even consider a regular school backpack with some added padding (even bubble wrap around the interior).

Jeff Lucia
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Look at Think Tank Photo's Urban Disguise series.

Sean Setters
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Think Tank's bags are very well made. However, you might want to look at KATA bags on B&H and Adorama. I got my KATA bag back when they had an instant rebate on it (which made it a price I couldn't pass up). The model I have isn't top loading, but I'm sure they have something along the lines that you need--and they'rereasonably priced.

jhenderson
05-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Sorry, been away for a few days...

Thanks for alll the inputs, i had a look pretty much all of the suggestions. The crumpler was goo, but not quite deep enough. In the end i went for the Think Tank bag. It arrived this morning and i must sa i am well pleased with it. Not a "camera" design - materials are a bit "camera bag" bug this is perfect for what i am looking for.

Thanks very much for all your help.

Colin
05-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Maybe you need to look at a not so known "camera" brand bag?
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Maybe a 'manpurse'?

Big canvas shopping bag, and put a bunch of 'chick' stuff all over the top, well-used lipstick that's kind of smeary, old smelly sandwich, dirty beach towel, etc. That'll keep people out.

ralphedo
02-07-2010, 04:55 PM
You should try a bag from http://cloakbags.com

I just bought one and it works perfect. Small and totally discreet. You don't even need to take the camera out of the bag to take pictures. Unreal that nobody thought of this before now. I don't know if it will fit your camera or not but you should check it out because it is an "adjustable" size bag - - you can actually change the length depending on what lens you have on your camera.

btaylor
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Go the Crumpler. I've got the 7 million dollar home and I fit my 40D (with battery grip), 70-200m f/4L IS, 10-22mmm, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, extension tubes, 580 exII, 420 ex, filters, spare batteries, remote cord etc etc etc and they fit fine.

It's a nice looking bag too.

crosbyharbison
02-07-2010, 07:43 PM
My daughter uses a Canon backpack that appears pretty non-descript. You might even consider a regular school backpack with some added padding (even bubble wrap around the interior).

Thats exactly what I do when I need to go out. My backpack hold a 42 inch reflector, 5d II with grip, 24-70, 70-200 2.8 is, 50 mm f/1.4, and 2 flashes with pocketwizards. I use a sweatshirt for extra padding.

shutr
02-07-2010, 07:59 PM
The urban diguise 35 should fit perfectly. I've been looking for a walkaround bag to hold exactly the same gear as you plus a few additional items. The UD53 will hold the body with the 70-200 attached. I plan on picking one up this week.

kitaoka
02-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I've used a diaper bag in truly high risk urban locations. All camera bags look like they hold cameras or other valuable gear. Not so with a diaper bag. I'm not talking about those that are bright primary colors, but ones that are more subtle, yet are obviously NOT meant to hold things other than butt wipes and diapers. I use to keep one diaper rolled up looking used just for effect.

nickds7
02-08-2010, 04:30 AM
You should try a bag from http://cloakbags.com

I just bought one and it works perfect. Small and totally discreet. You don't even need to take the camera out of the bag to take pictures. Unreal that nobody thought of this before now. I don't know if it will fit your camera or not but you should check it out because it is an "adjustable" size bag - - you can actually change the length depending on what lens you have on your camera.

Although it sounds like you work for cloakbags.com... it does appear to be an interesting concept. Not quite useful when you need to carry equipment.

lcnewkirk
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I've used a diaper bag

That's funny. About a month or so ago, I quit carrying my camera bag *and* my son's diaper bag, and just started tossing my XS right in the diaper bag, right next to the wipes and the change of clothes. I use it all the time now, but for convience, not really to conceal anything.

iFloyd
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I actually have an incase DSLR bag that got the job done. However, since I have upgraded to the 7d, I can only fit 2 lens. With my previous camera (I had a Nikon [:(]) I could fit 3 lens and a speedlite. So, I've been looking for a bigger bag to house my 7D with battery grip and future lenses. This thread really helped, but I'm still uncertain of which lowerpro to go after.

barba
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I use a cheap canvas messenger bag with a Domke insert to hold lenses securely. It works ok.