PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Inexpensive Accessory?

ddt0725
03-19-2016, 05:35 PM
There is always lots of talk of the expensive gear we either own or lust for but not much attention is given to those little hidden gems we discover along the way.

So, I thought I would start a thread covering just that. What is your most treasured hidden gem that you just wouldn't want to do without? Whether it is a store bought item or a DIY gadget you put together?

The reason that I thought of this and bringing it to light was today I received the Neewer Pro Pop-up Flash Diffuser from Amazon for $7.50 (free Prime Shipping) and I think it is really going to work out very well for me. I have tried many different on-flash diffusers and reflectors for speedlights and they either didn't stay on well or they were so heavy that when the flash was pointed slightly upward, the head just fell back down from the weight.

This one stays on very well and I like the diffusion of light that it gives.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Diffuser-600EX-RT-Neewer-Panasonic/dp/B00KASCBKE/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1458408337&sr=1-5&keywords=neewer+pro+flash+diffuser

Anyone else have recommendations they would like to share?

Kayaker72
03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
May seem very simple, but the OP/TECH Utility Loop (http://optechusa.com/utility-loop.html) has changed how I carry my camera. I now use a black rapid strap and connected it to my camera using the utility loops from OP/Tech. Actually, just scrolling through OP/TECH's website, lots of inexpensive gear that is great. After that, it really gets to what you consider "inexpensive." But a wireless release are pretty nice. I used the RC-5 with my 7D. But it only works intermittently with my 5DIII. I received the Vello Shutterboss for Christmas. At about $50 it does a good amount.

ddt0725
03-19-2016, 09:51 PM
May seem very simple, but the OP/TECH Utility Loop (http://optechusa.com/utility-loop.html) has changed how I carry my camera. I now use a black rapid strap and connected it to my camera using the utility loops from OP/Tech. Actually, just scrolling through OP/TECH's website, lots of inexpensive gear that is great. After that, it really gets to what you consider "inexpensive." But a wireless release are pretty nice. I used the RC-5 with my 7D. But it only works intermittently with my 5DIII. I received the Vello Shutterboss for Christmas. At about $50 it does a good amount.

I guess by inexpensive I'm thinking less than $100 and more of the "out of the ordinary" items or off-brands that people may have found that work great that others may not be aware of.

What you posted above is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to see posted here. I never heard of the Vello Shutterboss before!

Busted Knuckles
03-20-2016, 01:00 PM
LOL, I don't know if this is a hack or low cost accessory... particularly given the discount on the rain sleeve today..... I have to point out my rain sleeve. 2 gallon zip lock bag. Cut a corner just small than the lens hood, turn inside out, pull on to the lens hood camera side first, turn it right side out and it covers everhthing but my 150-600 at 600 which if it is raining, has very limited utility anyway. I carry 3 with me at all times, they take almost -0- space.

I might use them and the hand warmer next time I am doing a starscape in an adverse humidity/temp profile environment to keep the lens element from fogging.

All the best to everyone.

Joel Eade
03-20-2016, 01:15 PM
No contest ..... for me it's The Better Beamer flash extender.....simple, cheap (less than $40) and amazingly effective.

Sean Setters
03-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Good question....going to have to think on this one. I use several inexpensive things that I depend on...

jrw
03-21-2016, 02:00 AM
My favourite accessory was discovering that the narrow black straps sold with certain lenses as a ridiculously narrow neck strap, that no one ever uses because they are painfully narrow, will fit through the loops for the camera neckstrap. Cutting those straps in half and using the plastic bits that come with them allows for making two very useful wrist straps for your camera bodies!

peety3
03-21-2016, 07:36 PM
Although the seven that we own puts the grand total >$100, I love the Really Right Stuff B2-FABN clamp (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses) for use with Black Rapid straps. We already had Arca-Swiss plates on nearly everything, and once I discovered the world of Black Rapid, I needed a way to keep a standard. B2-FABN to the rescue! I actually loc-tited the BR "Fasten'R" to the RRS B2-FABN, so I can ignore it and treat it as one unit. It's a little tricky switching from a non-collared lens to a collared lens and vice versa, but plates just stay where they belong, BR straps stay where they belong, and tripods/monopods/etc. all keep their standard clamps on top.

For a little while, before I was ready to cut the (neck strap) cord, I had a neck strap on a B2-FABN so I could at least quickly attach a neck strap. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this meant the camera hung at an unnatural angle, so they pretty much never got used.

(http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses)

Sean Setters
03-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Although the seven that we own puts the grand total >$100, I love the Really Right Stuff B2-FABN clamp (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-FABN-38mm-Screw-knob-clamp-with-strap-bosses) for use with Black Rapid straps. We already had Arca-Swiss plates on nearly everything, and once I discovered the world of Black Rapid, I needed a way to keep a standard. B2-FABN to the rescue! I actually loc-tited the BR "Fasten'R" to the RRS B2-FABN, so I can ignore it and treat it as one unit. It's a little tricky switching from a non-collared lens to a collared lens and vice versa, but plates just stay where they belong, BR straps stay where they belong, and tripods/monopods/etc. all keep their standard clamps on top.

For a little while, before I was ready to cut the (neck strap) cord, I had a neck strap on a B2-FABN so I could at least quickly attach a neck strap. Unfortunately (or fortunately), this meant the camera hung at an unnatural angle, so they pretty much never got used.

This has worked well for me:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=8861 :-)

Dave Throgmartin
03-21-2016, 11:59 PM
I use the Kirk QRC-1 with the black rapid strap and RRS camera plate.

Dave

ddt0725
03-22-2016, 12:37 AM
I'm glad I posted this ...so many things for me to take a look at! Silly me, I still use the straps that came with my cameras!

neuroanatomist
03-22-2016, 02:36 PM
Most of my 'favorite' inexpensive accessories are for lighting. #1 would have to be the Justin Clamp (aka Manfrotto 175F), allows me to stick a flash almost anywhere. For anyone who has a GorillaPod Hybrid or SLR-Zoom with the included ballhead, they sell a $4 cold shoe that works in their little quick-release clamp. The Honl system of Speedlite mods are relatively inexpensive (although I have >$100 in total), a velcro strap for attachment (nothing permanent stuck to the flash head), and a range of snoots, gobos, gels, grids, etc.

I use the Kirk QRC-1 with the black rapid strap and RRS camera plate.

I also use the Kirk 1" clamp. I prefer it to the RRS B2-FABN for it's smaller size, which makes it easier to hold the camera with the clamp attached. Supports my 1D X + 600/4 II just fine. (Side note: I bought my first Kirk clamp before RRS came out with the B2-FABN, they only had the B2-FAB which has little nubs on the bottom that interfere with the BR lug - that was my one bad experience with RRS customer support, when I asked about the nubs they suggested just mashing the rubber washer down on them or filing them off. I told them what they could do with their own nubs :eek: and bought the Kirk clamp.)

ddt0725
03-23-2016, 02:03 AM
Now, that you mentioned your Justin Clamp, John. I use my Manfrotto Super Clamp and Heavy Duty Flex Arm quite a bit. I was hesitant about buying it but now I'm so glad I did!