PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions on 580EX II

csphua
04-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Hello,

I just bought a Speedlite 580EX II. When I used it on my 50D, I notice it will emit a sound when auto zoom function is modifying the distance information. When auto zoom is not functioning, the flash is very quiet. Is this sound normal? Or I have unlucky enough to get a mulfunction unit?

Also, I notice that when I switch to Av mode with the flash on my camera, I will always see a blinking "60" for the shutter speed from view finder. Why is it blinking all the time? Regardless of the aperture and the ambient lighting, it is fixed to 60 and blinking.

Daniel Browning
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Is this sound normal?

Yes.

I will always see a blinking "60" for the shutter speed from view finder.

The blinking shutter speed means that the camera's autoexposure meter thinks a different shutter speed is necessary to achieve a proper exposure for the scene, but the camera can't change the shutter speed for some reason.

The 50D can achieve flash sync at anywhere between 1/60 and 1/250. If your scene is too dark, and 1/60 is not slow enough, then it will blink to tell you that the shutter speed does reach proper exposure for the ambient light.

If it was blinking 250, then it would mean that the scene luminance is too high for 1/250.