PDA

View Full Version : Canon announces the 5D Mark IV (and two lenses)

neuroanatomist
08-25-2016, 02:43 AM
Press release:

MELVILLE, N.Y., August 25, 2016 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is proud to announce the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR camera, the next generation of the popular and versatile 5D series of Canon professional DSLR cameras. Building on this legendary legacy, the EOS 5D Mark IV propels the series forward with a fusion of features and enhancements targeted to please even the most discerning creative eyes. The camera’s 30.4 megapixel 35mm Full Frame Canon CMOS sensor offers stunning image quality while the DIGIC 6+ Image Processor delivers 4K 30P video and up to and seven frames per second (fps) continuous shooting. To make video shooting even easier, the camera also features Canon’s propriety Dual Pixel CMOS AF, even when shooting 4K to help ensure sharp focus and subject tracking.“Canon’s EOS 5D series of DSLR cameras has a history of being at the forefront of still and video innovation. And today, we add to this family of cameras the EOS 5D Mark IV– the first in our 5D series to offer 4K video and built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “In developing this new DSLR camera, we listened to the requests of current EOS users to create for them a modern, versatile camera designed to help them create and share beautiful still and video imagery.”
“Outdoor photographers will really appreciate the new EOS 5D Mark IV, as it offers more resolution, better detail in the shadows, and improved speeds in autofocus and frame rate,” reported acclaimed nature photographer and Canon Explorer of Light George Lepp. “With the fabulous resolution of 4K video and the ability to make beautiful prints from a frame of that video as an added bonus, this camera sets a new mid-range standard for nature photography.”
In addition, Canon is also introducing two new L-series EF lenses – the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens and EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Standard Zoom Lens– offering fantastic edge-to-edge sharpness across the imaging plane, as well as improved durability and performance.

EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera Specifications:

New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100–32,000; expandable up to 50–102,400.
4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in-camera still frame grab* of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or Live View shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
Excellent performance — up to 7.0 fps** continuous shooting speed with high performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points, and AF possible at all 61 AF points with many lens + extender combinations effective at f/8.
150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor helps provide precise exposure metering, helps detect flickering lights and allows for enhanced scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
Built-in Wi-FiŪ1 and NFC2 connectivity provide easy sharing to compatible smart devices, select social media sites and the Canon Connect Station CS100 device.
Built-in GPS3 provides geotag information including auto time syncing with Universal Time Code (UTC) via satellites.

“I have owned every camera in the 5D line, so the new EOS 5D Mark IV feels like an old friend in my hands, only better” exclaimed renowned wedding photographer and Canon Explorer of Light Clay Blackmore. “It has everything a professional photographer needs to create outstanding, quality images every time. Between its ability with still images and video capture, it is the complete package and—in my opinion—the best wedding camera on the planet.”

“When working with macro beauty photography, I need fast and precise autofocus. With each breath of the subject I need to be able to check the exact placement of focus, whether on the tips of the eyelashes, the pupils or other detail of her face. The EOS 5D Mark IV gave me exactly the speed and precision required to capture the detail and stunning color that is a signature of my beauty work,” remarked celebrated fashion and beauty photographer and Canon Explorer of Light Lindsay Adler. “I’m always looking for ways to create visuals that help me stand out from the competition. Cinemagraphs, also known as ‘living images,’ allow me to combine still frames and video to create captivating images. Because of the EOS 5D Mark IV’s 4K and slow motion capabilities, I now have the ability to create high quality and visually compelling cinemagraphs without having to invest in an expensive cinema camera!”

The Next Generation of EOS 5D Cameras
In addition to the new Full Frame sensor, the new EOS 5D Mark IV includes a 61-point High-Density Reticular AF II system, similar to the one found in the flagship EOS-1D X Mark II, with all AF points selectable by the user (and up to 41 cross-type points depending on the lens in use). The AF system, improved over previous Canon 5D series models, includes expanded coverage across the frame that supports AF at maximum apertures up to f/8 with all 61 points for high-precision autofocus even when using EF super-telephoto lenses with an EF extender. Standard ISO range for the EOS 5D Mark IV is ISO 100-32,000 and is expandable to 50-102,400.

The EOS 5D Mark IV also introduces a new 150,000 pixel RGB+IR metering sensor with enhanced precision and performance compared to its predecessor, improving upon facial recognition and tracking as well as nature and sports scenes with fast-moving action. AF sensitivity in low light is EV-3 and EV-4 when in Live View mode. The EOS Scene Detection System can detect and compensate for flickering light sources that are often used in gymnasiums and swimming pools. When enabled, this anti-flicker system automatically adjusts shutter release timing to help reduce disparities in exposure and color especially during continuous burst shooting.

Following the groundbreaking video recording capabilities introduced in the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III, the EOS 5D Mark IV takes the next leap forward offering DCI 4K video recording. Adding to the versatility of capturing 4K video, is Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF. This proven autofocus system allows for continuous focus tracking of subjects, and can be customized by the user for optimal performance. Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology not only enhances 4K video recording, but also helps create crisp focus for 4K Frame Grab extraction of 8.8 megapixel still JPEG images, all done in camera.

Mobile Connectivity
For the first time in an EOS 5D series DSLR camera, the EOS 5D Mark IV features built-in Wi-FiŪ1 and Near-Field Communication (NFC)™1 providing for the easy transfer of images and MP4 movies to compatible mobile devices, as well remote shooting when using the Canon Camera Connect App2. The EOS 5D Mark IV also includes a built-in GPS3 receiver with compass for precise geo-tagged information of latitude, longitude, and elevation. This is especially valuable to wildlife photographers and photojournalists who need to track their locations, as well as providing sports and wedding photographers the ability to sync a multiple-camera setup with extreme accuracy and precision. The camera’s built-in GPS can also be used to sync the camera’s time to the atomic clock, an invaluable feature when multiple photographers are covering the same event.

Pricing and Availability
The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR is currently scheduled to be available in early September 2016 for an estimated retail price of $3,499.00 for the body only††. It will also be sold as part of body-and-lens kits with the EF24-70mm f/4L lens ($4,399.00, scheduled to be available early September) †† and the EF24-105mm f/4L IS II USM lens ($4599.00, scheduled to be available late October) ††.
For an exclusive, hands-on preview, the camera will be available at the customer support centers shown below. Visitors can experience the camera firsthand while Canon technical experts demonstrate new product features, answer questions, and spotlight the benefits of Canon products and service.

Canon Customer Care Center, Melville, NY – Monday, August 29, 11am-2pm https://www.regonline.com/CLLLI16_August29
Canon Experience Center, Costa Mesa, CA – Tuesday, August 30, 7pm-9pm https://www.regonline.com/CEC16_August30
Canon Professional Service & Support Center, Itasca, IL – Friday, September 2, 11am-2pmhttps://www.regonline.com/ItascaSeptember2016

New Canon EF Lenses and EOS Accessories
In addition to the new EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR, Canon is also introducing two EF-Series L-series lenses as well as a variety of EOS accessories. The new EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens features a large diameter GMO dual surface aspherical lens and ground aspherical lens, f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range, fluorine coating, improved durability and is dust and water resistant. The new EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Standard Zoom lens features an improved four-stop image stabilization as well as ghosting and flare reduction with air sphere coating. The Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Ultra-Wide Zoom Lens is scheduled to be available late in October for an estimated retail price of $2,199.00†† and the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Standard Zoom Lens is scheduled to be available in late October for an estimated retail price of $1,099.00††.

Additional EOS accessories include the Canon Battery Grip BG-E20, Canon Rain Cover ERC-E5S/E5M/E5L and Canon Protecting Cloth PC-E1.

For more information about all these products and accessories, please visit: https://www.usa.canon.com/5D4Legend
† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
1 Compatible with iOSŪ versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, AndroidTM smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
2 Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
3 In certain countries and regions, the use of GPS may be restricted. Therefore be sure to use GPS in accordance with the laws and regulations of your country or region. Be particularly careful when traveling outside your home country. As a signal is received from GPS satellites, take sufficient measures when using in locations where the use of electronics is regulated.
* Saving a still image from a single movie frame does not result in the same image quality as a normal still image.
** Continuous shooting speed may vary depending on the shutter speed, the aperture, the lens being used, the battery charge and various camera settings.
*** When lens diaphragm setting is fully open, adjustment volume and compensation effect are emphasized. Sufficient adjustment volume and compensation effect may not be achieved, depending on lens in use and shooting conditions. Adjustment volume and compensation effect vary depending on camera position (landscape or portrait). Sufficient adjustment volume and compensation effect may not be achieved depending on the shooting conditions.
††Availability, prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.

HDNitehawk
08-25-2016, 04:14 AM
"better detail in the shadows"
With Jpeg or Raw?

I have to be honest, I didn't read the whole thing. I did a word search for the things I was interested in.
ISO appeared three times, and only about expansion.
Noise and Reduction do not appear at all.
Better detail in shadows appears once and is questionable since it was included in a statement about how great frame grabs are.

Kayaker72
08-25-2016, 10:12 AM
No discount for the bundles?

That is a surprise.

5DIV = $3,499
24-105 II = $1,099

Bundled = $4,599 (actually $1 more than the two bought separately)

24-70 f/4 IS is currently $899. Bundled is $4,399 (again, actually $1 more)

Has to be aimed at those companies that have been selling "White Box" lenses and cameras at a discount. Not going to happen if this pricing strategy holds.

Kayaker72
08-25-2016, 10:16 AM
"better detail in the shadows"
With Jpeg or Raw?

I have to be honest, I didn't read the whole thing. I did a word search for the things I was interested in.
ISO appeared three times, and only about expansion.
Noise and Reduction do not appear at all.
Better detail in shadows appears once and is questionable since it was included in a statement about how great frame grabs are.

I know I am making assumptions, but every camera since the 7D (my first dSLR) has had finer noise detail. The 80D/1DxII clearly have better shadow detail at low ISO. Banding has significantly decreased with the 7DII, 80D, etc. Even the 5DIII had less banding than the 5DII.

I would be shocked if the trend didn't continue and the recent advances shown in both crop and FF sensors didn't carry over. But...this is why I wait for others to review.

neuroanatomist
08-25-2016, 12:59 PM
No discount for the bundles?

That is a surprise.

5DIV = $3,499
24-105 II = $1,099

Bundled = $4,599 (actually $1 more than the two bought separately)

24-70 f/4 IS is currently $899. Bundled is $4,399 (again, actually $1 more)

Has to be aimed at those companies that have been selling "White Box" lenses and cameras at a discount. Not going to happen if this pricing strategy holds.

Yes, definitely a surprise. The 24-70/4 IS costs $750 in a 5DIII kit, so I suspect (but I haven't looked) that there are white box versions of that going for less than the $900 cost in the new 5DIV kit.

I wonder if this is a short term thing, and Canon will drop the kit prices (i.e. offer rebates or bigger rebates) faster than the body-only version?

Kayaker72
08-25-2016, 05:39 PM
I wonder if this is a short term thing, and Canon will drop the kit prices (i.e. offer rebates or bigger rebates) faster than the body-only version?

That is a good point. It would almost be expected for Canon to try to wring as much revenue as they can out of the early adopters. As the dollar continues to be strong, I do expect discounts within 4-6 months. But it will be interesting to see the impact of this on the White Box "offers" and if Canon introduces an effective bundle discount at some point.

Getting back to the actual releases, the 5DIV is pretty much as rumored. I am impressed, an across the board improvement over the 5DIII (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Specifications.aspx?Camera=1074&CameraComp=792). I was particularly pleased to see a slight drop in weight. The videos are standard release fair, but the DP microadjust does look interesting. But you have to shoot massive files to have that benefit.

However, playing with the numbers, I am not seeing anything that makes me want to run out and sell my 5DIII and throw in another $1,800. I am not sure at what point I will be tempted, but fortunately for me I checked this morning and my 5DIII is still taking pictures.

As for the lenses....$2,200 for the 16-35 III is not unexpected but also more than I am willing to consider. I am very interested in the MTF charts, but those do not appear to be on Canon's website.

Probably only a couple of weeks to a month until the reviews start rolling in.

neuroanatomist
08-25-2016, 07:29 PM
MTF for 16-35/2.8 III

https://i.gyazo.com/4a38fceb19807575e1d00f63af0d1026.png

MTF for 24-105/4 II

https://i.gyazo.com/8ca2eb3ae139fe003fe65b494e06166b.png

Kayaker72
08-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Thanks John.

Ok...I have to say, those are a bit of a mixed bag.

24-105 II

24 mm, 30 lp/mm, f/4, ~0.85 for 2/3 of the frame and rapid fall off at corners. This is disappointing compared to other recent releases. For example, 24-70 II is ~0.95 at f/2.8! Looking at Mk1, it really isn't that much better wide open.
24 mm, 30 lp/mm, f/8...looks good.
105 mm, f/4, 30 lp/mm---~0.82-0.84 for 2/3 of the frame...an improvement over Mk1...but not much, and far off of the >0.9 of the 24-70 II or IS at 70 mm.
24 mm, 30 lp/mm, f/8, Stopped down, an improvement, but a bit off recent releases, 0.9 and falling off.

16-35 III

16 mm actually looks amazing. Especially f/8, those are some flat lines for the vast majority of the frame. But even f/2.8 is looking as good as some of the better MTF from recent lens releases.
35, wide open...30 lp/mm. Again around ~0.8 for half the frame and then falling off. Not up to recent releases. I think it could be argued that you do not buy this lens for 35 mm, you buy it for 16-24 mm. But, still. For $2200, I was hoping for a bit more even at f/2.8 35 mm. f/8 is looking good at 35 mm, so it depends how quickly stopping down do you get to elite sharpness.

Quick conclusions based on MTF, the 24-105 II is an improvement, especially stopped down, but is a minor improvement. I'll be curious to seen results for vignetting and distortion, but in terms of sharpness, only a bit of an improvement. Granted, I owned the 24-105 Mk 1 and thought it was very good. So this is an improvement on very good.

As for the 16-35 III. Potentially huge step up in UWA range. Still will want to see vignetting/distortion, but could become a class leading UWA lens. Bit disappointed at 35 mm at f/2.8, but, as f/8 is 0.9-0.95, if by f/4 it is elite, that may not be much and this could really be an excellent lens.

Busted Knuckles
08-27-2016, 08:29 PM
So I saw in one of pages at Canon usa, a feature they referenced as "diffraction correction" any thoughts on this feature? Seems like an interesting feature that would be very helpful on the S/R and other crop bodies. Or did I miss something for the last several body releases?

Mike

neuroanatomist
08-28-2016, 12:33 AM
So I saw in one of pages at Canon usa, a feature they referenced as "diffraction correction" any thoughts on this feature? Seems like an interesting feature that would be very helpful on the S/R and other crop bodies. Or did I miss something for the last several body releases?

It's part of the Digital Lens Optimizer corrections. Don't be too impressed, though - it's a 'pay no attention to the man behind the mirror' thing. The effect of diffraction is a slight softening (or more, at very narrow apertures). So, 'diffraction correction' is Canon marketspeak for sharpening, applied based on the predicted diffraction (aperture relative to pixel size).

DavidEccleston
08-28-2016, 02:05 AM
It's more than that. In one of the videos they mention it works even at wide open apertures to cancel out the effects of the AA filter... so perhaps some sort of 5DS R effect is included. We won't know if, or how well, it performs until Bryan get's his hands on one.

The 1.74x crop on the 4K video has me confused. Why didn't they throw a few more pixels on the sensor, and make it do a 2x2 downsampling to do 4K w/ less noise. Perhaps they designed it expecting to downsample by 1.74x, but then didn't like the result, and in the end chose to crop it and use "pure pixels" instead. That's the only big flaw I see, from the specs.

Busted Knuckles
08-28-2016, 11:50 AM
1st off, modern dslr cameras (even without a mirror) are massively capable kmaging devices.

I am not sure if it means anything that 3rd party "efs" lenses have new life in 4k land. Sigma 35-50 1.8 hmmm come to mind.

Put that on a slider and oof there is alot tool there for the vid folks.

3rd party efs types also live again in the crop of the sensor. Provides a whole new gamut of 7d2 and 5d4 debates for fps, reach, etc etc :). If you can stand a rolling shutter and 4k frame grab. 30 fps?!?!? For kiddo football soccer etc etc. Pretty fun debate. Remeber something like 99.9% of omages are viewed on an 8 bit 1920x1080 screen. How many of those "exact moments" are now captured at 30 fps Oh giggle and snort

And isnt it great we can have it!!! Certainly when I got "back in" with the t3i I couldnt imagine we would be here.

Kayaker72
08-28-2016, 08:23 PM
Yeah I've seen the 4K grabs put down a little bit. But to me it's an incredible feature. For example, now you can have both video and 8MP still shots of someone blowing out candles on a birthday cake.

Busted Knuckles
08-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Yeah I've seen the 4K grabs put down a little bit. But to me it's an incredible feature. For example, now you can have both video and 8MP still shots of someone blowing out candles on a birthday cake.

I will likely rent one sometime and give 4k frame grab, 4k vid, and the diffraction correction (I am certainly thinking John is in the right direction on sharpening, but time will tell), as well as, testing the 35-50 1.8 as a vid lens (rental too).

I am certainly not all giddy about running out and upgrading - if I get GAS at all it is toward a 1dx1. I am much more likely to just shoot the heck out of what I have and wait until there is some sort of serious wear out and then see what is about.

The improved feature set is "handy" but I am quite pleased w/ the images the 5d3 kicks out. Perhaps when the 3d, physics defying, 18 stops of DR, completely ISO invariant, 30 FPS full res, global shutter 8k at 120 FPS vid, everything and the kitchen sink model comes out....

Kayaker72
08-28-2016, 11:00 PM
Look forward to your impressions of the 5D4.

I checked this morning and my shutter count is right around 50k. Might need to take up time lapse photography so I can justify a new toy. ;)

Until then I've decided to go through the owners manual, learn and try things that I haven't and keep my money in the bank. My "issues" with the 5D3 really do not amount to much. As you say, the output is great.

peety3
08-29-2016, 04:32 PM
The 1.74x crop on the 4K video has me confused. Why didn't they throw a few more pixels on the sensor, and make it do a 2x2 downsampling to do 4K w/ less noise. Perhaps they designed it expecting to downsample by 1.74x, but then didn't like the result, and in the end chose to crop it and use "pure pixels" instead. That's the only big flaw I see, from the specs.
Why does anybody buy a 30mp camera to do 8mp video? OK, I get it that the older cameras didn't offer 4k so you need a newer model, but otherwise why do people ask "Does the 5DsR do video? How about the 1Dx2? etc."

neuroanatomist
08-29-2016, 06:41 PM
It's more than that. In one of the videos they mention it works even at wide open apertures to cancel out the effects of the AA filter... so perhaps some sort of 5DS R effect is included. We won't know if, or how well, it performs until Bryan get's his hands on one.

What an AA filter does is blur the image by a fixed amount. The antidote for blur is sharpening. If you know what the amount of blur is, you can apply the appropriate amount of sharpening to correct it. RAW converters with camera-specific modules (LR, DxO, etc.) already do that for you.

When the 'AA-less' versions of cameras (D800, 5Ds) came out, everybody immediately compared them to the same shot taken with the AA version of the camera with no sharpening applied to either image. That's not the appropriate comparison, you should sharpen the AA'd image more, and in fact you *can* sharpen it more than the AA-less image before you start to see artifacts.

Busted Knuckles
08-29-2016, 07:17 PM
Hmmm somemore pondering. Wonder if the magic lantern folks can step up the bit depth on 1920x1080. Not sure why thisbis an idea, perhaps closer to a RAW type recording?!?!?!.

Though I once thiught I would fiddle video, quickly realized that I dont have the skill nor patience for it.

Joel Eade
08-29-2016, 10:04 PM
I sold my 7D MKII today and pre-ordered the 5D MKIV (body only) :)

Kayaker72
08-31-2016, 12:10 PM
I sold my 7D MKII today and pre-ordered the 5D MKIV (body only) :)

Congrats. Can't wait to see your impressions.

Most of what I've seen so far is pretty encouraging. I mean, of course some people are jumping on initial results (some of which seem very dubious)and crying foul, but overall the 5DIV seems like exactly what I would expect from Canon, a well done, worth update to an already exceptionally popular camera. The early pictures I have seen are fabulous and even the early test charts at high ISO are encouraging that there might be a 1/3 - 1/2 stop improvement in noise even at high ISO. I've yet to see the 4-5 stop torture test that people seem to think should be a new standard.

But, in terms of early data, this is by far the thing that has caught my eye the most:
http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/Canon-dual-pixel-technology

Basically, the dual pixel technology, one row is under exposing by 1 stop. Also, they are observing that the entire 14 bit histogram is being used filled by both pixel row readouts and, for the first time, the full 16,383 (their number---14 bit--214 = 16,384) readout potential is being used.

For years, I have heard people lament that 14 bit was a misnomer as the entire range was not being used in the actual readouts. Apparently, with the 5DIV, this may have changed and not only do we have full 14 bit readout, but, with two pixel rows offset by a stop, the potential for 15 bit range of data. Or, to quote the article directly "the dual-pixel raw file for this camera contains 15 bits of raw data, if you consider main and auxiliary subframes together."

Perhaps this will not lead to much, but it definitely has my attention.

Joel Eade
08-31-2016, 04:32 PM
I never owned a 5DIII (except a used IR conversion) and I have been considering dumping the 7DMKII and getting the 5DSr but the MKIV seems better suited for me with higher iso capability and improved AF with all focus points available at f/8. I usually sit on the sidelines until used bodies are available....first time I have pre-ordered any new item:)

HDNitehawk
08-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Joel, I thought you had a 1Dx as well.
What does the 5D IV do for you that the 1Dx would not?
It would have better ISO and I am sure equal to or better AF.

I wanted the 1Dx II as a second body to the 5Ds R for the ISO and speed. I pre-ordered it but canceled right before release because I couldn't justify it right now, not shooting enough. I have been occupied building my man cave. Once I get it built and have more time I think I would go the 1Dx II + 5Ds R direction.

Joel Eade
08-31-2016, 09:50 PM
I do have a 1DX and I am not really thinking the 5D4 would replace it but it has many of the important features of the 1DXII at a much lower price.

The following summarizes my reasons:

I like to have a second body for the occasional trips I take and I am curious to see the image quality. Who knows, I might return it.

The 7DMKII image quality is really good when the light is excellent but otherwise I wasn't that impressed.

The two biggies for me are : all focus points available at f/8 and I had wished from the beginning that the 1DX had more resolution so I like the idea of 30 mp (also why I am considering the 5DSr)

Other features (not in the 1DX) I like: the silent shutter mode, built in WiFi, GPS, HDR imaging, multiple exposures and intervalometer.

peety3
09-02-2016, 02:23 PM
1Dx has 1-2 stops better ISO ability than a 5D3. I'd be surprised if a 5D4 can improve by >2 stops, enough to put it ahead of a 1Dx. On par, maybe.

My wife and I "share a pool of cameras": two 1Dx, a 5D3, a 5DsR. Her technical habits are too sloppy for her to use the 5DsR in most cases, so she usually gets a 5D3 and 1Dx, and I get 5DsR and 1Dx, though on rare occasions I'll take both 1Dx. Overall, it's been a great setup for us (with a trusty 1D3 as spare, serving time at my folks for an occasional bird photo), though I've wished I had another 5DsR as backup (but couldn't justify it in front of other lighting and lens wishes). 1Dx2 does nothing for me; maybe a 1Dx3 with dual CFast, but the incremental fps bump is of no use _to me_. Bring in the 5D4, and now I start looking at it as the potential double-duty camera: upgrade my wife's 5D3 to 5D4, and becomes a much better spare for a 5DsR than anything else we had. Oops, but wait, the 5D4 price is awful close to a 5DsR, AND I can't reuse my grip...now I'm back to a 5DsR (and steal the grip from my 5D3) unless/until the 5D4 price drops.

neuroanatomist
09-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Other features (not in the 1DX) I like: the silent shutter mode, built in WiFi, GPS, HDR imaging, multiple exposures and intervalometer.

FYI, the 1D X does multiple exposures (the setting is in the 1st camera menu). I could point out that it has a silent shutter mode, too...but that's about as effective holding a hand over one ear while firing one bullet from a machine gun.

Kayaker72
09-02-2016, 03:49 PM
1Dx has 1-2 stops better ISO ability than a 5D3. I'd be surprised if a 5D4 can improve by >2 stops, enough to put it ahead of a 1Dx. On par, maybe.

Based on DPR, I thought I was seeing ~1/3-2/3 improvement of the 5DIV over the 5DIII at ISO 6400. Using DXO data, I see the 1Dx/1DxII at about a 1 stop improvement, the 5DIV likely is closing the gap at higher ISO, but still just a bit off in terms of DR. In terms of other parameters (tone/color/etc), they all seem very close.

EDIT- If I were to guess, I suspect the 5DIV will slip right between the 5DIII and 1Dx I/II above ISO 1600, but exceed the 1Dx and be just below the 1DxII for ISO 100-1600.

Of course, this is just DR.

Joel Eade
09-02-2016, 04:50 PM
FYI, the 1D X does multiple exposures (the setting is in the 1st camera menu). I could point out that it has a silent shutter mode, too...but that's about as effective holding a hand over one ear while firing one bullet from a machine gun.Yep....I realized that after I posted.....my bad

Joel Eade
09-02-2016, 04:53 PM
Based on DPR, I thought I was seeing ~1/3-2/3 improvement of the 5DIV over the 5DIII at ISO 6400. As I see the 1Dx/1DxII at about a 1 stop improvement, the 5DIV likely is closing the gap at higher ISO, but still just a bit off in terms of DR. In terms of other parameters (tone/color/etc), they all seem very close.

I just think it will make the best back up camera for me along with the 1DX not as a replacement or upgrade except for the fact all the focus points are available at f/8. For birders that is huge:) I can also see perhaps using it at family functions or outings where I would rather not take the bigger/heavier 1DX.

Also with the sale of my 7DII I can easily swing the price right now;)

Kayaker72
09-02-2016, 05:28 PM
I just think it will make the best back up camera for me along with the 1DX not as a replacement or upgrade except for the fact all the focus points are available at f/8. For birders that is huge:) I can also see perhaps using it at family functions or outings where I would rather not take the bigger/heavier 1DX.

Also with the sale of my 7DII I can easily swing the price right now;)

:) Ha...Don't have to convince me. My favorite article I've read on the 5DIV was taking the position that Canon made it too good. That it will be cannibalizing sales from C100/C300/5DsR/etc, maybe even 1DxII.

If real world tests come back as I expect, I honestly think it may be a near perfect "all around" dSLR (8 fps, few other very minor spec things). Which is what I suspect is Canon's intent. The "niche/markets": 1DxII--aimed at high frame rate and those that want the best; 5DsR--high MP crowd that want the ultimate resolution; 5DIV---Event/do everything very well camera. 6D(II)....FF entry level "do everything but not as well" camera at lower price point. That really covers the market really well. Sure people will find nits to pick, but those that own those cameras seem to love them.

As for those going with 2 body kits, I can see offsetting the 1Dx series with the 5DsR (like Rick) if you want the resolution, the 5DIV if you if you want more general purpose FF, or 7DII/80D if you want crop factor/smaller/lighter.

Joel Eade
09-02-2016, 11:01 PM
I actually would love to try out a 5DSr especially for the focus stacking macro stuff I'm learning.....eventually a used one will pop up at a good price:cool:

Joel Eade
09-08-2016, 10:19 PM
My 5D MKIV has shipped today from B&H

Ironically I also found a really great deal on a used 5DSr

Oh no.........:confused:

Kayaker72
09-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Both????

;)

Joel Eade
09-08-2016, 11:47 PM
I have the 5DSr in hand (as a trial) but just now got to try it and it's getting dark outside

This image is 1410 X 2004 pixels ..... it was cropped from the full frame image that was 8688 X 5792 pixels .... and it was shot at ISO 1600 from about 30 feet with 500mm + 1.4 TC

What do you think of the retained detail and noise? (no noise reduction applied in post except DPP defaults)

http://joeleadephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v176/p995605232-4.jpg

Seems dang good to me .... probably even better in good light ..... for birds this might be difficult to pass on this deal even though the timing is bad

Joel Eade
09-09-2016, 01:36 PM
5D MKIV is here.....

It has a nice solid feel to it, the shutter is very quiet compared to 1DX and the LCD is very nice .... that is all so far

My plan is to post several RAW images for download on my web site .... some low ISO high dynamic range scenes to see how shadows can be recovered and also some high ISO images

So if you want to the RAW images can be obtained and each person can se what they think.....does that sound good?

Anything else you would like to see?

conropl
09-09-2016, 03:28 PM
I have the 5DSr in hand (as a trial) but just now got to try it and it's getting dark outside

This image is 1410 X 2004 pixels ..... it was cropped from the full frame image that was 8688 X 5792 pixels .... and it was shot at ISO 1600 from about 30 feet with 500mm + 1.4 TC

What do you think of the retained detail and noise? (no noise reduction applied in post except DPP defaults)

http://joeleadephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v176/p995605232-4.jpg

Seems dang good to me .... probably even better in good light ..... for birds this might be difficult to pass on this deal even though the timing is bad

I was pleasantly surprised with the files of my 5DS R. The noise control, sharpening latitude, shadow latitude, and over all color and contrast of the images where better than I expected. I thought there would be an improvement, but not as much as I saw (especially coming from a 1DX). And I was also a little surprised you did not have one.:o Although, I can see were all AF points being good to f/8 on the 5D IV would be very helpful for you, and the slight PP focus shifting ability in your type of shooting may come in handy.

I think the 5DS R is a really good camera that is down played by many. It is an over achiever that is pegged as only good for landscape, large print, and higher end studio work. I think there is more to this camera. The ability to crop heavily is a plus, but the ability to crop moderately to achieve a good composition is a big plus when coming from a 1DX perspective. Cropping an 18MP image even moderately would significantly reduce the file size to limit print sizes too much... I think your 5D IV will also address this concern.

Enjoy your new cameras, and I hope the 5D IV turns out to be an excellent camera as well.

Pat

Joel Eade
09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
This is a link to a set of RAW images from the 5D MKIV using the Canon 24-70mm Version II

Note: these are free to download and use for anyone who wants an idea of what the image files are like for this camera but you will need to upgrade your converter and editor to the latest version in order to open and process them.

http://www.zenfolio.com/joeleadephotography/e/p49483757/raw

I hope this is helpful;)

Kayaker72
09-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Hi Joel...I am not sure about others, but it asks me for a password when I click the link.

Overall, I am not sure it is even necessary. That ISO 8000 image you posted in the "Current" thread is impressive.

Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Joel Eade
09-11-2016, 11:55 AM
I did not intend to lock that gallery....I went back and reset the access parameters this morning.

I thought folks might want to process an image or two just to see how they react.