PDA

View Full Version : 5DS R Resolving power

Joel Eade
09-18-2016, 01:31 PM
This is an example of what the 50 MP sensor is capable of doing.

The first image is nearly full frame taken with the Canon 180mm Macro hand held (I suspect tripod mounted would show this result even better)

The second image is a crop taken from the left lower wing after enlarging the image to 100%.....individual scales are visible....amazing!

http://joeleadephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s6/v148/p587956093-3.jpg

http://joeleadephotography.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v154/p135848097-4.jpg

HDNitehawk
09-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Well no surprise for me :)
Did you rent one or buy?
I saw another thread where you were showing 5D IV comparisons. I have been out of country and didn't even realize it shipped.

A comparison between the 30mp 5D IV and and 5Ds R resolution would be interesting.

Busted Knuckles
09-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Is rather stunning stuff.

wsmith96
09-19-2016, 02:59 AM
Wow! Thanks for sharing Joel. I've been thinking about which body to graduate too this Christmas season and it's a tough choice between the 5d mk iii, 5ds(r), and the new 5d mk iv. Images like this have me leaning towards the 5dsr.

Joel Eade
09-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Well no surprise for me :)
Did you rent one or buy?
I saw another thread where you were showing 5D IV comparisons. I have been out of country and didn't even realize it shipped.

A comparison between the 30mp 5D IV and and 5Ds R resolution would be interesting.

I had pre-ordered the 5D MKIV (first time ever pre-ordering anything) and it shipped just about the same time I found a used 5DS R at a really good price.....so I have both but no money left.

Joel Eade
09-19-2016, 12:38 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing Joel. I've been thinking about which body to graduate too this Christmas season and it's a tough choice between the 5d mk iii, 5ds(r), and the new 5d mk iv. Images like this have me leaning towards the 5dsr.I would say the 5DS R is the king of crop-ability but the MKIV will probably have better low light performance and better AF performance too.

HDNitehawk
09-19-2016, 01:32 PM
I would say the 5DS R is the king of crop-ability but the MKIV will probably have better low light performance and better AF performance too.

In what respect do you think the AF might be better?

So far the focus shifting seems to be an interesting feature of the IV. Maybe it would come in handy with your bird photography?

Joel Eade
09-19-2016, 01:51 PM
In what respect do you think the AF might be better?

So far the focus shifting seems to be an interesting feature of the IV. Maybe it would come in handy with your bird photography?I believe the MKIV has the same AF system as the 1DX II so it will probably out-perform the 5DS in tracking and focusing for action shots (especially in low light) even though it is really not an action camera due to the frame rate. Additionally all the focus points are available @ f/8 which is big for bird photographers.

For action I would rank them 1. 1DXII 2. 5DMKIV 3. 5DS R

For resolution and cropability 1. 5DS R 2. 5DMKIV 3. 1DXII

Either way I see the MKIV as fitting between the 1DX and 5DS series in many ways.

I have briefly experimented with the dual pixel raw mode....the ability to change the focal point is minimal, still not sure how helpful it will be.

peety3
09-19-2016, 04:51 PM
I don't expect the 5D4 to compete so aggressively in the AF battle. I think the single Digic will really tie the hands of it when it comes to AF tracking, much like the 5D3 was underpowered the same way.

I agree that the 5D4 fits in between in certain ways - it'll be our next camera purchase as it's a good upgrade for my wife's 5D3 and a good backup for my 5DsR (without buying another 5DsR "just" as a backup).

HDNitehawk
09-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Unless all of Joel's posed bird pictures start coming from the 5D IV I think my next purchase will be to upgrade my 1D IV to the 1Dx II.
Watching his future posts for guidance :D

At this point though the 5D IV seems to be too much of a compromise. I still occasionally use the 1D IV over the 5Ds R when I need weather sealing, speed or tracking. The 5D IV may gain on the weather sealing, but with the small battery I would bet it is still gimped on speed and tracking vs the 1 series bodies.

Joel Eade
09-19-2016, 10:40 PM
The 5D IV may gain on the weather sealing, but with the small battery I would bet it is still gimped on speed and tracking vs the 1 series bodies.I would totally agree with your assumption here but (I think?) the MKIV would beat the 5DS R. You know, however, 99% of my images are from my setup in the yard and they are mostly static so I suspect any of these camera bodies would more than suffice. I will certainly post some bird images from the 5DMKIV and the 5DS R in the near future:)

wsmith96
09-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Unless all of Joel's posed bird pictures start coming from the 5D IV I think my next purchase will be to upgrade my 1D IV to the 1Dx II.
Watching his future posts for guidance :D

At this point though the 5D IV seems to be too much of a compromise. I still occasionally use the 1D IV over the 5Ds R when I need weather sealing, speed or tracking. The 5D IV may gain on the weather sealing, but with the small battery I would bet it is still gimped on speed and tracking vs the 1 series bodies.

I would expect that the 5d4 would not match the 1dx2 in speed or tracking. It if did, would anyone need the 1dx2?

I agree with what you are saying and there isn't one camera that's perfectly tailored to every situation. The 1dx2 is the closest to do so though. :)

Joel Eade
09-21-2016, 12:03 PM
I would agree that the 1DXII of course is the ultimate for action photography and is slightly better at high ISO but if you can tolerate some compromise you will get a great camera in the 5D MKIV for about half the price and there are some features that are not available on the 1DXII. IMHO the jury is still out on the AF system for moving subjects....I have not seen anything on the net about it and I have not yet tried it.

Anthony M
12-23-2016, 06:45 PM
It's sort of funny - I remember back in the late 70's when I was in college and becoming an avid shutterbug, picking up a photography magazine that was showing off the incredible resolving power of Zeiss lenses on a large format camera. The subject? Butterfly wings. Wow! You can actually see the scales! As I recall the lens in question was about the price of a starter home. Fast forward 40 years and now this stuff is in our hands?

I just picked up a 5Ds R (couldn't resist the price), and am so far quite impressed. I have a lot of learning and relearning to do though. Thanks for sharing!