PDA

View Full Version : Lens info when exporting jpgs with Lightroom

Tony Printezis
05-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi,

Whenever I export jpgs with Lightroom (I have 2.3), the lens EXIF info is lost. The original raw files (from my 40D and XTi) contain the lens information and if I shoot in jpg instead of raw, the jpgs do have the lens information. However, not the exported ones. Does anyone know how to possible convince Lightroom to also export the lens information? It definitely understands it given that it shows it in the EXIF data when loading each raw file.

Thanks,

Tony

Madison
05-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Will it help to uncheck Lightroom's 'minimise metadata' option in the Export settings?

You should make a new export setting, and uncheck that, and set it to jpg and the size etc. you want, and double check if this works for you. I believe it may. But I can't test it because I am not behind my own mac right now.

Dann Thombs
05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I had the same problem with CS3, but CS4 seems to keep a lot more info. To be sure, I use exifer to pull the exact exif data into the processed image so I have everything intact.

Tony Printezis
05-24-2009, 01:37 AM
Will it help to uncheck Lightroom's 'minimise metadata' option in the Export settings?

Hi Madison, yes I do have "minimize metadata" unchecked... (first thing I tried!)

Tony

Tony Printezis
05-24-2009, 01:41 AM
To be sure, I use exifer to pull the exact exif data into the processed image so I have everything intact.

Hi Dann, I have no idea what exifer! Can I use it with Lightroom?

Tony

Madison
05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Are you using anything else besides Lightroom? Things like save for web in Photoshop will strip EXIF, some photo sharing websites will strip EXIF etc.

What happens to the exported JPG when you import it back to Lightroom? EXIF there or not? (AKA where are you trying to view the EXIF data from the exported jpg? Online? Lightroom itself again? (because after the jpg exits Lightroom loads could happen to it to strip it from the EXIF, especially when sharing files on photo websites here and there or exporting from Photoshop).

If you have a jpg WITH data, you can send one to me and I can test for you as well in my Lightroom here.

Tony Printezis
05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Madison,

Hi and with apologies for taking some time to reply.

Are you using anything else besides Lightroom?
Things like save for web in Photoshop will strip EXIF, some photo
sharing websites will strip EXIF etc.

Nope. I've been trying to export directly from Lightroom with the Export facility. I'm not using any of the presets, I choose the options in the Export dialog myself.

What happens to the exported JPG when you import it back to Lightroom? EXIF there or not?

That's interesting and thanks for getting me to try this. I use JAlbum for my online albums (great piece of software BTW!). I noticed that when I'm including pictures exported to jpeg from raw with LR, JAlbum does not include the lens info (but it does include the rest of the EXIF data I was asking it to, like aperture, ISO, etc.). However, when I'm including pictures shot in jpeg, the lens info is there. I had looked at the EXIF info of the generated jpeg with the original LR 2 and, IIRC, the lens info was not there. However, with the latest version (2.3), the EXIF info is there now. So, for some reason, JAlbum is ignoring it. Hmmm... I need to follow up with the JAlbum folks...

Alright, I know a bit more about this now. Thanks again,

Tony

Dann Thombs
05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
exifer is a standalone freeware program. Once I've saved all my final photos, I open that program and import the exif from the source files. You can also do some batch date adjustments for time zones or to get the times sync'd across multple cameras for a single shoot.