Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
As would be the Quadpixel AF, granted, it is very rarely I run into issues with my R5, but hey, it is likely better.
QPAF (or the functionally equivalent alternating orientation DPAF) would be good. As you say, issues are rare for me as well, since louvered closet doors and split rail fences are not my usual subjects. A bigger problem for me that I hope gets addressed is the failure to achieve focus in an extreme defocus situation. It's reasonably common for me to switch back and forth between close and far subjects, and I find that frequently my R3 simply cannot manage it. If I give it a manual assist with a twist of the MF ring to get closer to the ballpark, it locks on.

The separate PDAF sensors on the better DSLRs (starting with the 40D) had dedicated sensor lines to detect extreme defocus. DPAF really seems to struggle with this, probably because of the very short 'baseline' for detecting the phase difference. Canon had a couple of patents publish earlier this year that describe algorithmic methods of dealing with extreme defocus. Since that means these patents were filed >18 months ago, I hope the improvements find their way into the R1's AF system.