Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question - Off-Camera Flash Needs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie Question - Off-Camera Flash Needs

After reading various online sites, the more confused I got on exactly what I need for off-camera flash. I have a T1i, 580EX II and a cheap slave flash that came with my camera/lens kit.

After researching and mass confusion, I've come up with the MiniTT1 PocketWizard Transmitter and the FlexTT5 PocketWizard Transceiver. Am I correct that this is all I need? At $200 a pop, I wouldn't be able to purchase them yet, but I need to know what to put on my ever-growing wishlist! Also, I have read as many good as I have bad reviews on these, what is your opinion of them?

Eventually, I would like to get try getting into strobist territory and get the Speedlight Prokit, etc., mentioning this just in case I should be pointed in a different direction for what I need for off-camera flash.

But of course, a tripod is still #1 on my wishlist!

Thanks! []

Denise

Re: Newbie Question - Off-Camera Flash Needs

Thanks, Mark for the links! That was awesome for Sean to put that together for everyone!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

Check out these threads always listen to whatSean Setters[/b] has to say.

[url="/forums/p/2081/16041.aspx#16041]Interested in strobism?[/url]

[url="/forums/p/2106/16227.aspx#16227]If my flash isn't on my camera, what is it attached to?[/url]

[url="/forums/p/2562/20083.aspx#20083]Bare flash still looks a little harsh...How can I make it look better? [Light Modifiers][/url]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

...my work here is done. ;-)

ddt0725 - You might want to check out my flickr photostream. It's full of strobist style shots. They aren't necessarily the best examples, but you'll certainly get a sense of what you can do with some off-camera flash equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

You might want to check out my [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/]flickr photostream[/url]. It's full of strobist style shots. They aren't necessarily the best examples, but you'll certainly get a sense of what you can do with some off-camera flash equipment.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I checked out your photos from the link provided and to say your work is awesome is such an understatement! Your work is fantastic and the portraits are exactly what I would love to capture of my daughter and grandbaby!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    but I need to know what to put on my ever-growing wishlist!

Only what you need. Slow it down a bit. A tripod should be #1 on your list, but don't rush or worry. The equipment NEVER makes the shot. You do. I've used a 1-series body and 600mm f/4 lens. I could not take full advantage of it. Nate could make better images with a 55-250 than I could with a 600 f/4. Don't worry about what you're going to buy so much; learn and then support your practice with new toys. Think about what you can do instead of what you can buy. Once you feel your equipment is holding you back, then maybe upgrade it. That's been my approach and it's helped my progress and my wallet.

Good Luck!
    brendan[H]

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

No offense or anything, but I just don't see why you could possibly need off-camera flash capabilities. For wildlife photography the only possible need for off-camera flash is to get the flash over the lens hoods of supertelephotos (am I wrong?). If you are serious about macro photography, get the tripod first and later get the macro twin lite flash. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't understand what you need it for. As for all the strobist equipment, you need to know the ropes of exposure very well to use it effectively. Make sure that learning and practicing comes before buying.

No offense taken but not much wildlife photography going on here with it being 5 degrees with no sun outside ever so I guess I am just getting cabin fever and was looking into ways to maybe practice taking better photos of people inside under a better lighting set-up. I mentioned strobist because it really intrigues my interest but, yes that is way, way down the line.

And yes, I am very serious about macro photography and of course (knowing me) have the macro twin lite flash on my wishlist! [] I've just grown bored of taking macro shots of everything in my house!

Now I know to scratch the off-camera flash gear OFF my wishlist (for now)...WOW, the list actually got shorter for once!!

Thanks,

Denise

It's not that a wishlist is a bad thing, don't get me wrong, I have a long one too [:P]

It's just that sometimes you need to put it to the side. Strobism isn't rocket science, but it costs about the same.

being 5 degrees with no sun outside ever
    [:O]

lol I know that feeling too well... used to live in Chicago. too cold [6]

Good luck with the indoor portraiture. From here on I'll let Sean take over; I am not a people photographer []

And yes, I am very serious about macro photography

The macro twin lite is awesome and expensive. Until it's within your budget your 580 EX II should do fine. A sto-fen omni bounce can diffuse harsh light for macro with the 580. Also of interest: Buy a little contraption called the Wimberley Plamp (only $40, yay!). I'll let a picture do the talking:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/plamp_5F00_juza.jpg[/img]

So, on one tripod is a body and macro. On the other is a plamp (something of an articulated arm with clamps on either end) with a grass stem and insect. You could try this in summer; it's lots of fun

brendan

A sto-fen omni bounce can diffuse harsh light for macro with the 580. Also of interest: Buy a little contraption called the Wimberley Plamp (only $40, yay!).
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I do have the sto-fen bounce and it does work ok for diffusing the harsh light ...I'll just stick with that for now. Wow...the Winberley Plamp is something I never heard of before and it is quite the contraption!It looks awesome and will keep it in mind! Maybe it would work for clamping a thin branch for a bird to sit on! [] I've been trying to think of something! This would even put my cheapy tripod to good use so I won't have to buy two! It'd be great for catching butterfly shots this summer and it's something I can buy for under $100!

Thanks,

Denise

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x600/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.40/plamp_5F00_juza.jpg[/img]

I wish I had a spare carbon fibre tripod to hold pieces of grass in place[:P]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30