Thread: Minimum Advertised Pricing New--Enhance My Kit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Minimum Advertised Pricing New--Enhance My Kit.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=3304) would affect the deals on kits or ebay deals we have been seeing.

Specifically:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...D_Mark_II.html

Which was posted in the news section awhile ago (thanks Sean). Anyone have an opinion about the Pro9000 mk II printer?

BTW, I have been planning a post about the next step to enhance my kit for a little bit now, but this gives away one of my thoughts, going FF.

A quick summary....I have been evaluating my kit and overall I am very happy. So I may not need to do much. But I can see a couple of holes, low light and portrait photography as well as the general improvements in quality gained from FF. I would love to upgrade the 100-400L, but tough to do so with a rumor. Similar is true with the 7DII.

So my thoughts have been one of the following:
    1) Get the 5DII or 5DIII for the improvement gained from FF and better high ISO performance. I may keep the 7D to pair with the 100-400L for wildlife. I could see the 5DIII becoming my main camera. I am not sure about the 5DII. But the above deal seems pretty amazing.

Keeping the 7D:
    2) Get a couple of non-L primes (EF 28 f/2.8 IS or Sigma 30 f/1.4, upgrade to the 50 f/1.4, and/or add the 85 f/1.8--but this is getting close to my 100 mm f/2.8 L)
    3) Get a single L-prime (say the 35 mm f/1.4)
    4) Get the 28-70 f/2.8 (I or II). In all the "wish list" threads, I always state my desire for an EFS 40-120 f/2.8 to be the EFS equivalent of the 70-200 series lenses on FF. I was thinking about it the other day, and the EF 24-70 f/2.8 covers much of the portrait range at f/2.8 I am looking for when mounted on a 7D.
    5) Get a high end tripod/ballhead (been thinking about this for awhile)

Current camera: 7D. Most used lenses: EFS 15-85 and EF 100-400L. Other lenses: 50 f/1.8, EFS 10-22, and EF 100 f/2.8 L IS

BTW...I wasn't in a rush to do any of this until I saw the news post. I was probably going to wait until Dec/Jan timeframe.

Thanks for any help with any part of this....
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 10-31-2012 at 09:42 PM.

1) PIXMA PRO9000 printer: I have one, and the prints are it creates are very good. However, there's certainly a learning curve in getting color profiling and optimal results. It's also a bit of an ink guzzler (in my opinion). All in all, I do not think it's cheaper printing at home--however, you can certainly get more variety (specialty papers) and once you've figured out everything, it can be very nice having complete control over the output. I don't use mine often--but when I need something done, it's nice to have around.

2) I know everyone says "buy glass," but in this case, I think the 5D Mark II deal makes a lot of sense as an introduction to the benefits of going full-frame. I bought one about a year ago and I love mine. However, I also kept my 7D for the times I need an advanced autofocus system and longer reach. If you find you need something better than the 5D II, then sell it (and possibly the printer) to put toward the 5D III (and keep the lens).

If you keep the 7D and decide against getting the 5D, I'd definitely suggest the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I loved mine when I had it. The only reason I sold it was because the 50mm f/1.4 gave me nearly identical framing/aperture on the 5D Mark II as the Sigma on the 7D. It didn't make sense to keep both.

That's my two cents.

From what I hear, B&H and Adorama have already changed prices. Check Amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

So, is this only for USA customers or customers worldwide? Also, why are Canon so upset about competitive prices? Retail in Australia is already through the roof (for example I got a $2400 guitar, locally priced, from the US for $780 including shipping) so if Canon raise the prices here... Well, I think I'll have to switch to Nikon (either that or buy Sigma etc). My macro lens already cost me $597 which from what i'm told is close to double what it costs the guys in the states.
    Last edited by Squidy; 11-01-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks Sean and JRW.

I held off last night and the price did go up by $100. That isn't enough to stop me if I decide to get the 5DII. So I'll keep looking over the next month or two before deciding what to do.

JRW. The plan would be to keep the 15-85 in every scenario except if I got a FF. It is a great lens, but if I got a FF I would probably replace it with the 24-105. The 24-70 f/2.8, if I got it, would be a specialized lens for low light, indoors, portraits, etc. I began thinking about it after I added up the cost of three non-L primes (30/50/85) and realized they were about the same. I do use the 15-24 mm range so I wouldn't be able to part with it unless I had an equivalent replacement.

Thanks again...Brant