Thread: Meteor Shower---Quadrantid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Meteor Shower---Quadrantid

Apparently this peaks tonight at ~ 2 am....which corresponds to a forecasted temperature of 3 F (-16 C) here in New Hampshire.

I may glance out before I go to bed....but I think I'll leave the camera inside. Actually, anyone have any thoughts as to would happen in those temps? I can't get the image of a shattered lens out of my head.

http://www.space.com/14104-strong-qu...wednesday.html

I've heard extreme cold can damage LCD displays and batteries. I'm not sure what temperature ranges I've exposed my camera to, but we Canadians live below 0C for 6 months a year, and we still takes pictures, despite every electronic device on the planet claiming that it's outside the acceptable temperature range. I'm sure I've done atleast -10C without issue. As it get colder though, I don't want to take my hand out of my gloves long enough to fiddle with the camera's small buttons.

I have used my gear at below - 30 C without any problem. The biggest problems are cold fingers and problems with breathing at such temperatures. If you are worried about the camera, be sure to bring it to room temperature slowly after being out in the cold, otherwise water can condense inside the camera. This is a common problem when working with electronic equipments in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    If you are worried about the camera, be sure to bring it to room temperature slowly after being out in the cold, otherwise water can condense inside the camera. This is a common problem when working with electronic equipments in the cold.
    Tony wrote up a TDP Tip on Cameras, Humidity and Condensation.