Thread: online photo sites -

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

online photo sites -

So you might think I am a troll and anti Verizon....

You would be right on at least one count.

Flikr will soon be/is part of Verizon.

Any thoughtful alternatives?

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I'll keep using Flickr as long as it's free and not too painful. Each "improvement" Yahoo! did seemed to make it slightly worse, except for when they finally increased the storage capacity of free users. Verizon can't possibly make it worse, can they? If it gets a monthly fee, it will likely be cheaper to just host my own.

Anyway, wikipedia has a list of photo hosting sites: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...aring_websites
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Definitely not a fan of Verizon, but I agree with David. They will not get a penny of my money.

So I guess I am a troll right along with you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I use Zenfolio .... works flawlessly but is not free.... $100 per year for their top level service.
    You can archive an unlimited number files and even RAW images up to around 60 mb per file.
    They also will do archival disks too for additional cost.
    Last edited by Joel Eade; 08-08-2016 at 11:32 AM.

I don't have any direct dealings with Verizon, but I can't say I'd support any changes which would result in a cost to use flickr. If they add a user fee I'll definitely be shopping around for another free site to use. I don't use flickr enough to justify any cost at this point. I just use it to upload a few pictures to share (mostly on here).

Stephen

As a Telecom Engineer for over 30 years I will say this about Verizon…Great services, terrible customer service…however, to be fair, the other carriers and ISP's are far worse…As for them taking over Yahoo/Flickr, I'm not anticipating anything good...

...or...it could be great.

Somewhat seriously, it all depends on how flickr is perceived. Could there be some growth there? Sure, eat into Instagram's market, use it as a social media platform, as part of a bigger platform, etc. And I think they could do that without altering its current services and functions. They would need to improve in system editing, add a whole bunch of selfie pre-sets, then expand ways in which people can interact, and "share" information. Much of this I could ignore, but there is also a chance that they come up with something that interests me.

Second, I can see them leaving it largely alone. The value of flickr would be the user database and the traffic that it provides. Flickr probably uses mostly existing infrastructure. So I can see just letting it be.

Third. If they see no value, no synergies with other businesses, etc, I could see them letting it die on the vine or spinning it off.

Thank would be unfortunate, and I'd miss a few connections I've made there, but I would probably just move to another service; 500 pics, zenfolio, smugmug, etc.