Thread: Benro Tripods... Any Good?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Benro Tripods... Any Good?

Hello,

I had some time today and stopped by my local Camera shop in MA. My main objective was to handle the Aluminum and Carbon Fiber versions of the Manfrotto 055PROXB Tripod or the 055CXPRO3 model. I like those models because of the quality, height and the price. Gitzo isn't in the budget. I say height because I am 6' 5".

The salesman asked me to check out the Benro A-297EX (Aluminum) at $130 (i think) and the Benro C-297EX (Carbon Fiber) at $250. He insisted the quality was equal to the Manfrotto tripods. The Benro models come with a carrying case too. They appear to be discontinued models that they have limited quantities of. The Benros were lighter than the Manfrotto models, had similar features and seemed decent. There are very few reviews out there, not a good sign, so I figured I would ask you guys.

Are they any good?

This store tried to sell me Promaster filters before swearing they were as good as B + W. Turns out they are glorified Hoya filters.

Thanks,

Brett

Brett

Re: Benro Tripods... Any Good?

Only a fanatic (or someone with extremely demanding tasks) would go for a Gitzo versus high-end equivalent from Manfroto, Giottos or Benro, especially if that person is on a tight budget. Same can be said about B+W versus high-end Hoya filters. I am using the Hoya HD circular polarizer with my 16-35 'L' lens and I can assure you that it is AT LEAST as good as any of B+W or Heliopan circular polarizers I own, plus it transmits more light overall than any other circular polarizer.

So, when you choose a tripod, the brand should be your last concern. Choose the one that you feel will serve you best. A tripod is very important for some types of photography, but unlike cameras and lenses, you are totally capable of testing it on your own, without relying on technical reviews. Handling tripods at a store should be enough to help you make up your mind.

i like mine, fits nicely on my Think Tank backpack. As a pure hobbyist, I couldn

Hey Brett,

Which camera shop, if you don

I just purchased the 055xprob and I am incredibly impressed with it and it's features. I don't think I agree with Firestarter, but to each his own. For me, brand always has something to do with my purchase, in virtually everything I buy. That's not to say I buy the most expensive brand, but a brand is typically more than just an expensive name. It is frequently a reputation (quality, customer service, etc) and the small additional features that add up.

"Testing" a tripod in a camera shop should not be considered adequate either if you don't want to trust the judgment and reviews of other photographers. That is unless you will be using the tripod exclusively in a studio setting where you will always have ideal conditions.

On to the meat of your post....Being a recent purchaser of the 055xprob, I highly recommend it. Though, as you probably now know, it is not very light. I don't really know anything about the Benro tripods, so I certainly won't knock them, but I just bought my tripod for $160 with free shipping from B&H. That's only a $30 difference from the Benro, though you won't get a carry case.

Out of curiosity, what head do you plan on using?

Braden

How about Benro ball heads? They have them at Keh for a decent price. I already have a tripod (a very heavy contractor tripod that is as sturdy as heck!) so no problems there.

John.

Hi Braden,

How is the tripod? Do you mind the weight? Or even a better question, does the build quality make the extra weight worth it? Trying to decide before those Benros are gone. Adorama is selling the Carbon Fiber one for $350 and My camera shop had it for $250.

Thanks for your input,

Brett
    Brett

Hi Braden,

How is the tripod? Do you mind the weight? Or even a better question, does the build quality make the extra weight worth it? Trying to decide before those Benros are gone. Adorama is selling the Carbon Fiber one for $350 and My camera shop had it for $250.

Thanks for your input,

Brett
    Brett

I have 2 heavy duty CF Benro