Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help deciding on next lens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help deciding on next lens

I recently purchased a 5D2 and 70-200 II f/2.8L IS and I'm looking to fill out the lower focal range. I also have a 40D with the kit 17-85 lens. Generally when I go shooting, I go with my wife. She carries the 40D. I tell her it will be lighter for her to carry, but I'm pretty sure she is on to me 😄. I promised her that we'd upgrade her lens, but I want to have the flexibility to switch lenses with both bodies. So it would be for either the 5D2 or 40D.

Need some help deciding on one of the following (or any other lens suggestions):

1. 24-70 f/2.8L (I or II)
    2. 17-40 f/4L
    3. 24 f/1.4L
    4. 24-105 f/4L

Right now I'm leaning towards the 24-70 because of the IQ and range. But I'm not sure if I'm sacrificing a lot on the lower focal range for landscape shots. I'd like to use this for landscapes, say 65% of the time. I'm trying to get away with getting a zoom to cover the rest of the range without opting for an additional lens. But if having the best (or significantly) improved kit means I need to add another lens, then I'd prefer to start that now instead of getting something that I will end up selling and upgrading less than 2 or 3 years later. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I fill that range with the primes, 24mm F/1.4 and 35mm F/1.4, both awesome lens.

I wouldn't buy the 24-105 or the current 24-70. Wait a few weeks the new 24-70mm II is supposed to be released. If it is as good as the MTF charts indicate, and if it shows the improvement that the 70-200mm II showed over its predecessors, it will be the lens to own.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I fill that range with the primes, 24mm F/1.4 and 35mm F/1.4, both awesome lens.

I wouldn't buy the 24-105 or the current 24-70. Wait a few weeks the new 24-70mm II is supposed to be released. If it is as good as the MTF charts indicate, and if it shows the improvement that the 70-200mm II showed over its predecessors, it will be the lens to own.
    I've checked the ISo chart comparison tool and didn't see that big a difference in IQ between the 24 f/1.4 II and the 24-70 I. But that's a limited comparison snapshot. Have you used both? Can you offer pros/cons wrt IQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mpieris View Post
    Right now I'm leaning towards the 24-70 because of the IQ and range. But I'm not sure if I'm sacrificing a lot on the lower focal range for landscape shots. I'd like to use this for landscapes, say 65% of the time.
    You can't use you're 17-85mm on your 5D II. So you are not sacrificing a lower focal range by getting a 24mm for your 5D II. A 17mm is equivalent view to a 27mm on your 5D II. 24mm on your 5D II is actually wider than your 40D with the 17-85mm wide open.

24mm is an excellent focal length for landscape.

You can't use you're 17-85mm on your 5D II. So you are not sacrificing a lower focal range by getting a 24mm for your 5D II. A 17mm is equivalent view to a 27mm on your 5D II. 24mm on your 5D II is actually wider than your 40D with the 17-85mm wide open.

24mm is an excellent focal length for landscape.
    Sorry, I was referring to switching with the new lens I get. I don't plan to use the 17-85 after I upgrade. On the focal range loss, I was referring to going with a 24 at the bottom end vs the 17 on a 17-40.

Sorry, I was referring to switching with the new lens I get. I don't plan to use the 17-85 after I upgrade. On the focal range loss, I was referring to going with a 24 at the bottom end vs the 17 on a 17-40.
    Yes I understand, but for landscapes you wouldn't go with the 40D. The 5D II is going to do so much better that you will not even consider the 40D.

But...it sounds like you are trying to upgrade your 5D II under the premise of upgrading your wifes lens.. very sneaky

Yes I have had both, the 24mm F/1.4L II is much better. I would wait for the 24-70mm II.

Did you compare at the same aperture. The 24mm F/1.4 beats the 24-70mm at F/2.8. The 24mm F/1.4 can shoot at F/1.4, but just like the 35mm the quality of your picture drops off significantly. At F/2.8 it is very good.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0

Yes I have had both, the 24mm F/1.4L II is much better. I would wait for the 24-70mm II.

Did you compare at the same aperture. The 24mm F/1.4 beats the 24-70mm at F/2.8. The 24mm F/1.4 can shoot at F/1.4, but just like the 35mm the quality of your picture drops off significantly. At F/2.8 it is very good.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0
    I compared them at f/8 primarily because I've seen from a lot of landscape photos that they are shot at f/8 and higher.

I compared them at f/8 primarily because I've seen from a lot of landscape photos that they are shot at f/8 and higher.
    The diffrence is there at F/8, just not as noticable. I owned the 24-70mm for several years, sold it this last December. I just never used it because the 24mm F/1.4 just performed so much better, nicer IQ, contrast and sharper.

If you are looking at IQ, the 24mm is the best lens you listed and you get one focal lenght. If you need a zoom whether you should go with the 24-70 or the 24-105 would be the question to debate.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=4

I'd stay away from the 17-40 on a crop sensor. I used to have it on my 7D. IQ wasn't worth the price tag.