Thread: Zeiss ZE 35 1.4 vs Rokinon 35 1.4...my unofficial comparison

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zeiss ZE 35 1.4 vs Rokinon 35 1.4...my unofficial comparison

Okay, everyone, at least those interested in my small time comparison of these 2 lenses. In earlier posts in this forum, I let on that I was able to get the Zeiss ZE 35 1.4, after some wait time from B&H...after I had already purchased the Rokinon 35 1.4. I won't get all techy on you(c'mon, I'm UPS Driver full time, what do I know about tech!!), but this was pretty fun taking pictures using these two lenses, and my wife is mad as Hade's at me for all the time I spend on the computer already!!! So here goes...

I really liked the Rokinon(Samyang) 35 1.4. I played with it for several weeks before I received the Zeiss, and became familiar with manual focusing....so much so, that I don't even use focus confirmation on the Zeiss or my 50L anymore...and I do have a EC-S focus screen on the way for my 1D4, so all these pics were taken using the good ol' fashioned way..For the price, this lens cannot be beat, hands down!! Sharp wide open, even in the corners, and good colors and saturation. I highly recommend it(William!!).

The Zeiss is a fantastic lens with a history behind it, and I have pointed some to another forum where some people have the Contax/Yashica or Rollei version of the Zeiss Distagon 35 1.4 from then...tough for the new one to compete, and I don't know if my photo skills do the new version justice after looking at some of the photos taken by members of this FM forum. Here is the link to it, all 57 pages, but please check it out...really cool!!
    Rokinon 35 1.4 gallery

https://picasaweb.google.com/112876940890442133557/Rokinon3514?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKGoso7J6 PiG8gE&feat=directlink

Gregg

Re: Zeiss ZE 35 1.4 vs Rokinon 35 1.4...my unofficial comparison

Thanks for putting the effort in to do this comparison. If you shuffled these photo

Thanks for looking, William...the Rokinon is a great lens, and you'll love it!! I will always post more in the future, especially when the next baby, Giovanni, is born...to be honest, the 35's haven't left my camera in some time now!! They are really that versatile!! good luck...

Gregg

Awesome. Looks like you can
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Both lenses are fantastic, but I do like the Zeiss a bit better...that's why I'm keeping it. It also has better focus fall off than the Rokinon...more examples here..No post in any of these at all, unless otherwise noted..and all shot wide-open

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/7245.AI6C2958.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/1207.AI6C3004.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/4721.AI6C3031.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/3223.AI6C3033.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5584.AI6C3085.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/4807.AI6C3090.jpg[/img]

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/5808.AI6C3093.jpg[/img]

I did some post in this, but no sharpening...

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/800x0/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/8/8787.untitled_2D00_32.jpg[/img]

I really love this lens....getting more and more used to it everyday!! I have a focus screen coming, but all the above pictures, and the ones linked to Picasa, were taken with ttl focusing with my eye, not even focus confirmation!! I am looking forward to Bryan's review(I know you're backlogged!!) of this lens, as there are only a few out there, since this lens is still very new and hard to come by! It hasn't left my camera in days, and we are getting ready to head on a short vacation with a day trip into Yosemite, where I plan to put it to good use(as much as I can with a 4yr old and pregnant Mom in tow)!!

Nice shots Gregg, it is a beautiful lens, I personally love the weight and feel of the lens and the performance speaks for itself.

I like that third shot of the kids watching the cake and the bench shot has a 3D spatial effect.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur