Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chuck Westfall's October Tech Tips - Attention 7D Owners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chuck Westfall's October Tech Tips - Attention 7D Owners

Can someone with a 7D verify that auto ISO actually works in Manual Mode? This to me is a MAJOR break through giving us "Aperture and Shutter Priority" auto exposure!

"The newly released EOS 7D goes one step further by making Auto ISO in Manual mode fully variable even when Live View is turned off."

Re: Chuck Westfall's October Tech Tips - Attention 7D Owners

I've seen it verified on other forums, but I'll wait for the final word (Bryan's review). This is something I've been waiting a long time for. I use my 5D2 in liveview mode *just* to get this feature.

Do you suspect Chuck Westfall is wrong?

Brian has a link to the owners manual posted at the end of his preliminary review. Read page 63

Don, you've got a 7D right? can't you confirm that for Mark? [:P]

Anyway, that's again one more stupid and annoying thing by Canon - couldn't they enable this feature on my 50D as well? I can bet my arm that it's as simple as firmwere update - damn you Canon!

Quote Originally Posted by Oren
    Anyway, that's again one more stupid and annoying thing by Canon - couldn't they enable this feature on my 50D as well? I can bet my arm that it's as simple as firmwere update - damn you Canon!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I couldn't agree more! "The first EOS with variable Auto ISO in Manual mode was the EOS 5D Mark II when updated to Firmware Version 1.1.0 and used in Live View or Movie Mode" so why not give us an update for our 50D?!?! Don't restrict it just to Live View though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

The Digital Cinema Society has a presentation on the 5D2 by Tim Smith, Canon Product Manager for Digital Imaging. You can watch the video online. In it, he says that in all his years of working at Canon, he has never once seen them add a new feature through firmware. The 5D2 firmware was the first exception.

I think the 50D owners here need to check again.... as my 50D does have Auto ISO in Manual mode. This would also mean that the 5D MkII is not the first Canon cam to offer this feature. I'm running firmware version 1.0.7, butalready had this feature when I got the camera last December.

~ Ken

Yes, I can happily report that with the 7D, the ISO can be fully automatic in M mode as well.

If you set it to Auto, then the ISO will vary in order to keep the exposure meter needle centered, with the shutter speed and aperture you selected. If the auto ISO function reaches one of the limits (the range is 100-3200), then the exposure meter needle will start to wander off in either direction. But not until then.

So you can set it at 1/500 and f/8, and all the way down to what otherwise would have required 1/15 s, the camera will increase the ISO up to 3200 instead.

Thanks. It's very nice to have that confirmed. Can you use "ISO compensation" with Auto ISO? That is, is it possible to set +1 "EC" and cause it to set the ISO by one stop higher than normal? Just curious,

You can't set any exposure compensation in manual mode, since the rear wheel is busy controlling the aperture. Hence that's not possible.

You can set AEB in manual mode, though, but it changes the shutter speed, not the ISO, even if the ISO is in automatic mode.