Thread: Score! Got a 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM for $1200 from a reputable source!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Score! Got a 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM for $1200 from a reputable source!

So, the girlfriend and I were downtown (Seattle) this Saturday and swung by one of the more prominent camera stores (Glazers). They buy, sell, rent, etc. Have three stores within a block of each other that do the various things. One normal store, one for professionals essentially, and one for rentals.

Anyhow, I wanted to get some estimates on what they'd buy a couple of my lenses for (Original Canon 75-300 4.5-5.6 IS USM and the Sigma 30mm 1.4 I've only had a few months). Long story short on that they gave me crap estimates... $175 for each, which is really lame in the case of the Sigma (I can kinda understand it on the old Canon).

So I am looking at their useds and see the 70-200 with the price tab of $1200 and ask about it. He immediately tells me the reason it's so low is because it was one of their rentals and he didn't feel comfortable asking $1500-1800 for it, but that they send them out to Canon to have referbed and give a 2 week return and 60 day warrenty with it. I figured I couldn't pass that up. Better than paying $1500-1800 on Ebay or Craigslist I figured. As I was getting ready to walk up to the counter a guy looked over at me, then at the lens and asked "What lens is that?" and I told him which one it was and he said "For $1200?!?!" Told him the story on the price and he just said "I'm drooling... congratulations."

Took some shots with it when we got home (the local squirrels have been pretty daring/friendly lately) and they are incredible. Anyhow, very happy with the find. Now my normal walkaround bag will probably be the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, Canon EF 24-105 4.0 L USM and the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM.

Re: Score! Got a 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM for $1200 from a reputable source!

That's a great walkaround bag Cory, congrats![]

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

That's a great walkaround bag Cory, congrats![img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

its not just great, its big too... for just walkaround lol

Wow, congratulations. That's a fantastic price for a great lens. I'm sure you'll enjoy it...

Congratulations! That's sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Deva207

Quote Originally Posted by Oren

That's a great walkaround bag Cory, congrats![img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

its not just great, its big too... for just walkaround lol

I have a smallish Lowpro bag that's just big enough I think (have yet to see how well the new lens fits, but I think it will).

congratulation!

Do not, I repeat do not, rent the 200/2LIS lens from Glazers unless you are ready for a period of extreme separation anxiety after returning it. 70-200 lenses are mighty fine, but the 200/2 is serious wow material (and at $45/day it's quite a deal).
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Good going! Now enjoy it