Thread: Simply.Elecrics.net

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simply.Elecrics.net

Hi all, has anyone from Europe ever purchased from this crowd? Their prices are very good - maybe a bit too good!Has anyone had a good/bad/indifferent experience with them?

Re: Simply.Elecrics.net

Do you mean Simply Electronics? If so, I'm from the UK and I attempted to order a 70-200 f/4 IS lens through them in February. If you can confirm that this is the retailer in question (sounds like it is based on the low prices you have mentioned) then I'll go in to more detail. If not, I haven'theard of Simply Electrics, and I must have trawled through every online retailer that stocks anything made by Canon...

Hi Charlie, yes you are correct - it is SimplyElectronics.net, my mistake. I'd welcome your opinion on this supplier. Thanks.

Here goes - I'll just state the facts so that I don't end up in trouble with anyone's lawyers.

I was going on a trip to Mexico in about two weeks and had decided to get the 70-200 f/4 IS (rather than the 2.8 IS due to the difference in price). The best price I found was from Simply Electronics, so using their real-time stock checking facility I made sure they had one and ordered, using Google Checkout to pay. I spent the extra £10 / £20 to get express delivery so that I could have a play with the lens before I went away. I got an e-mail from Google confirming the purchase and an expected delivery of 2-3 days and at that point was pleased with how everything had gone. 3 days later I had not received my lens or any indication from Simply Electronics when it was going to be dispatched so I phoned them up, using the number on their web site. After about 10 minutes I got through to someone who stated that they had recived my order and the lens was just waiting to be picked up by the courier so would be with me within a few days. A few days later I had still not received the lens and was getting quite anxious so phoned them again. I found out at that time that their call queueing system cuts you off after about 20 minutes, so about50 minuteslater when I finally got to speak to someone I was not pleased. Again I queried where the lens was and was, again, told that it was just waiting to be picked up. I asked if they actually had the lens in stock (at the time, most retailers were out of stock) but they assured me they did and it would be sent out immediately. After I made a fuss they offered me a free gift - hooray I thought, until they told me it was a cleaning cloth. A few days later(on a Tuesday), still not having received my lens, I phoned them again. Over an hour later I managed to speak to someone. I asked if they could guarantee that I would have the lens by that Friday (I was going away on Friday night). They could not, so I told them I was very disappointed with their service and would like to cancel my order. They said I would have to send them an e-mail to cancel the order, so two minutes later, they had one winging its way to them. I got an automated respose saying that my request would be dealt within within, you've guessed it, a few days. A few days later, I sent them another e-mail asking why I hadn't heard back and had an actual response saying that the request would be chased and my money would be refunded shortly.

At this point, I was down almost £800 with no lens and three days until I left, so phoned my local London Camera Exchange shop. They didn't have the 70-200 f/4 IS as they were waiting for stock to come from Canon, but told me that they had just got a used 70-200 f/2.8 for just a little bit more so I decided to get that. I got free delivery - the courier picked the lens up from the shop and it was with me the following morning. I also got a 12 month guarantee on the lens which had been checked out thoroughly (my local LCE is a Canon Pro store which always makes me feel better). The lens was and is great, just a few scratches near the mount and tripod ring and served me very well on my trip and still is at home.

After I got back from Mexico, two and a bit weeks later, I checked my bank account online - NO REFUND! I ended up having to call my credit card company to enter into a dispute with Simply Electronics. To put things into perspective, I went on holiday at the end of February and I have just this week resolved all the payment issues.

Based on this, I'll let you draw your own conclusions but would say that, overall, my experience dealing with Simply Electronics was not enjoyable in any way.

I would point out the old saying at this point:

"If something looks too good to be true, it probably is"

Hope this helps people think carefully about their choice of online retailers, it's certainly made me feel better to let this out.

Charlie.

Charlie, thanks for confirming my suspicions - I thought their prices looked a bit too low! Glad you got a great lens in time for your Mexico trip and managed to get a refund (eventualy). Let the buyer beware indeed! I shall spend a few quid extra with a reputable supplier and it will be worth it for the peace of mind.

Im not sure if this website does reports in Europe, but RipoffReportsaved me from a bad transaction earlier this year. Beware though, some people post on there about a cashier at Walmart taking, Heaven forbid, five minutes to ring them up. So go by majority rules on negative reviews. I know you've already probably decided against Simply Electronics, but for anyone else who sees to good to be true "deals", check first!

-Rodger