Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CANON SLR SELECTION -PLEASE HELP THE GIRL WITH OCD!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CANON SLR SELECTION -PLEASE HELP THE GIRL WITH OCD!

Hello, all...i am on the verge of buying a new camera. I prefer Canon SLR. I am in the process of taking the leap into professional photography for the first time. I mainly shoot Maternity thru Seniors in highschool. Of course, within that range are lots of very busy little kiddos...

I usually rely on and prefer natural light, and most of my shots are "candids." I crop obsessively if I haven't already attempted to capture a facial expression up close during shooting. I love to experiment and play with my cameras and light.

My biggest problem in making this decision has been the OCD factor in my research. THis is the first post I've joined to look for advice, because if I spend another day researching, I know that i'm just going to end up back here again...

Once i feel that i have made a decision, someone tells me something like "you don't need the 5D Mark II, just go with the 5D" and then i research again and decide that maybe the Mark II doesn't have the speed I need. Obviously, there are about 199876 more stories similar to this but i'm not here to bore you, i'm here for HELP!

Could you please send me some feedback regarding your opinions on camera AND lens/or lenses. This is going to be my first FULL FRAME camera purchase and I would really appreciate and value the expertise of people talking to me as opposed to reading site after site of information that has now just started to overwhelm me.

No, I don't have to have the best of everything, I would prefer to spend LESS money if the performance is there, I will not be doing any ENORMOUS commercial prints, I need kid-friendly speed, focus, and preferably stabilization, and i'm very thankful to all that can help me on this exciting venture...

If it would be helpful to see the kinds of pictures that I actually SHOOT, i will put a link or two below? Please, however, keep in mind that I am new to Animoto as well, and the photos were actually taken over many years, some back to my 35mm days, so the quality of photo is less important than trying to show the style that shoot - hence, the need for a camera to cover that range. I will put up babies and younger, since they obviously hold still the least. I appreciate any advice you can offer...

http://animoto.com/play/ET43DC1DyrcISgUReF0C7Q

http://animoto.com/play/b6VcnnsqOiPXyFDTl4UrLA

...like i said, this is my first attempt at joining a forum so again, thank you all for your time and help.

Sincerely,

amanda

Re: CANON SLR SELECTION -PLEASE HELP THE GIRL WITH OCD!

<div>

First off, welcome to the Forum! There are a lot of insightful and talented photographers here with tons of practical advice.<span class="511191318-05052009"] I'm just an amateur but I'd love to try to help

<span class="511191318-05052009"]You said what you like to shoot but whathave you been shooting with? What lenses do you already have (if any)?

<span class="511191318-05052009"]Are the 5D Mark I and the 5D Mark II the only two bodies that you are considering?
    </div>

Purchasing a new body can be scary, but let me try to help. I own the Canon XT, XTi, 1DMKII, and the 5DMKII. I also own 30 more film bodies including some pretty expensive large format stuff. I also have access through my corporate work to the 1DsMKIII and the5D. I think I can give you accurate impressions about the Canon bodies.

The Canon 5DMKII is the best camera body I've ever owned and the 1DMKII isn't really a close second. The 5DMKII has the best image qualityavailable; it tops the 1DsMKIII, especially at high ISO. The 5D is a great camera, but the bigger LCD screen and additional megapixels of the MKII make it second fiddle. The framerate and blackout times have not stopped me from using the 5DMKII for indoor sporting events. You will love the camera.

If your passionate about image quality, like to crop in close and have customers who go big with enlargements, you will not regret buying5DMKII.

Drop me a note if you want to see some images and what kind of cropping is possible.

Wow, you are all awesome and thank you so much. Of course, i now have no idea if this will go to all of you or one of you, but i'm throwing out the info either way, hoping for the best.

Of COURSE i left out the statistical information...sorry. i was completely trying to be short inside a long-winded brain.

I currently shoot with a REBEL XT

I have a Canon EFS 18-55mm

I have a Tamron SIGMA DG 70-300mm

Does that change anything or help? i don't HAVE to have anything, in reference to some responses. I don't HAVE to have the Mark II and 4 frames per second is NOT going to be a necessity at ALL. I'm just throwing it all out there because i'm not really aware of the possibilities and the power behind the other Canons talked about...

I can read until I'm blue in the face, but i've not HELD OR SHOT any other lenses bodies or lenses EVER. Hence, the request for much needed advice...

If any of that is helpful, can we try again? and thank you SO much for the responses I've already received. MUCH appreciated.

If you go with a full frame camera, you're going to have to replace the EF-S lens.

Unless you're going to upgrade/add some glass, I'd keep the body you've got, or maybe look into a 20D/30d/40D/50D scenario, if you want a new body at all, or the nicer build quality, features, speed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by apcarusoe

Wow, you are all awesome and thank you so much. Of course, i now have no idea if this will go to all of you or one of you, but i'm throwing out the info either way, hoping for the best.

Of COURSE i left out the statistical information...sorry. i was completely trying to be short inside a long-winded brain.

I currently shoot with a REBEL XT

I have a Canon EFS 18-55mm

I have a Tamron SIGMA DG 70-300mm

Does that change anything or help? i don't HAVE to have anything, in reference to some responses. I don't HAVE to have the Mark II and 4 frames per second is NOT going to be a necessity at ALL. I'm just throwing it all out there because i'm not really aware of the possibilities and the power behind the other Canons talked about...

I can read until I'm blue in the face, but i've not HELD OR SHOT any other lenses bodies or lenses EVER. Hence, the request for much needed advice...

If any of that is helpful, can we try again? and thank you SO much for the responses I've already received. MUCH appreciated.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Then buy a Canon 40D and a good tripod and you will be happy for the foreseeable future.

Do you really need more than 4 frames/second to shoot kids?

Normally I'd say the 5D mk2 is all you need. If you need more frames on full frame you'll have to go Nikon D700 unless you are willing to spend 7K on 1Ds mk3 at 5 frames.

I've got a 5D. I'd like a MkII. I can't pay for a mkII (without selling some lenses). So, maybe that's similar. I choose to keep the glass I want and live with the bodies I have.

From what I understand, the mkII has, an addition to more resolution, better low light performance, and a higher frame rate.

However, in terms of frame rate and pixel density, a 50D will beat out both, which is nice if you're trying to grab shots of things that can't sit still and you tend to use a lot of reach to get your pictures.

I like having a crop body for speed and pixel density (telephoto and many Macro), and a full frame for thin depth of field, low light, and getting the most image resolution with full frame lenses.

Amanda

This probably isn't going to help you at all but here's my view of the world.

Focus on getting the best lenses in your price range and less on the camera.

A 40D or 50D are solid performing cameras. Especially for the needs you've described I don't see a necessity for a full frame camera that can't be accommodated with either of these models and I would favor the 40D

Unless you have some pretty good lenses, from a 5D and up it's likely to expose or exaggerate problems with less quality lenses.

Don is wise.

I got some pretty good shots with my Rebel XT and good glass.

I really like the idea of full frame, but the reality is, at least for me, my limitation is usually me, not the sensor size.