Thread: Remote shutter release for canon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remote shutter release for canon

Hi

I am looking for a remote shutter release for my canon 5d3 I am looking to try some sky and night shots or general landscapes. I want something I can use if I decide to add a telescope etc

Regards

Rich

Wireless? Consider the Vello Shutterboss or if you want a smaller transmitter, the hähnel Giga T Pro II. Both are wireless triggers with timer and intervalometer functions.

I guess wireless is the best way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rdl81 View Post
    I guess wireless is the best way to go?
    I do not think so unless you are trying to get in the shot or something similar. From your post I took it that is not what you are doing.

On the 5D II the sensor was in front of the camera, to get Canon's version to work you had to reach around or be in front of the camera.
    Anyway I was never impressed, so I changed to Canon's wired release.
    But, that was not the best way either.

When you are doing landscape shots you have to watch how your cord lays. The Cord itself can set up a vibration from your hands when a camera is in a tripod.

Touching the shutter does the same.

So the best way for the picture is mirror up, set a delay. It takes several seconds if the camera is on a solid tripod for the vibration to stop after touching the shutter. So click the shutter and get your hands off, and give the camera the time to settle out before the timer kicks the shutter.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-26-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Also out of the two which one is considered the better option?

As often happens, John (Neuro) throws out some options I've never heard of before.....and just glancing at them, they seem to have similar functionality as Canon's, but at a fraction of the price. Canon's options are pretty expensive. I have the TC-80N3. There is also the RS-80N3. If you want Canon brand but wireless, you have the RC-6.

Let me toss in the Satechi - two parts, also has an intervalometer built in. works well, good range and not line of site which means if you are going to be in the shot your hand can be doing something other than pointing at the camera.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Canon's wireless options are the small and inexpensive RC-6 (-1 and -5) which are IR and really for selfies, and the very expensive LC-5 which is RF like the ones I mentioned above, but with far less functionality. RF is not line-of-sight.

You mentioned night shots and sky shots, and for those a timer that allows shots >30 s and/or an intervalometer is quite helpful. From Canon, that leaves you with the TC-80N3 from Canon, which is a wired remote that costs most than the two wireless ones I mentioned, and all provide similar functions. I'd take a wireless (RF) remote over a wired one any day. Nights are cold - a wireless remote means you can fire from in the car, for one example.

I went with the hähnel for the smaller transmitter, for dual use as a selfie remote for family portraits (I'd actually prefer to use the tiny RC-1, but unlike most other Canon bodies, the 1-series bodies lack an IR sensor for it). Without that concern, I'd have gone with the Vello.

Thanks guys very helpful