Thread: Remote Strobe Triggers -- Manual Remote?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remote Strobe Triggers -- Manual Remote?

Hi Again,

after being somewhat frustrated with very-low-light portraits, and then being only somewhat less frustrated with the illumination with a pair of 500W halogen lights that happened to be available, I started looking into "strobism", and in particular some of the really good posts on the required gear here in this forum.

I was left with the impression that what I would really like to have is something that (a) I would expect many other strobists to want too, but (b) is something that doesn't seem to be on the market... Presumably my ad-hoc market analysis is flawed, and I would like to ask here why there doesn't seem to be a system on the market that has:

Radio transmitter fits generic hotshoe on camera, radio receiver ideally integrated into the strobe (no separate device, cables, batteries), choice of several channels, then 4 or 8 groups of flashes [on one radio channel], remote-controlled manual control per group from the on-camera transmitter, no TTL, actually: nothing that helps automatic exposure.

Sorry if this totally doesn't make sense to anybody, actually any strobist out there, but this is exactly what I wanted to buy after my first round of info-gathering ... say 200 bucks for the transmitter and per strobe w/built-in receiver; all manual, but I don't have to run around all the time or spend money for automatic flash exposure that I won't use (or would I?).

Thanks, Colin

Re: Remote Strobe Triggers -- Manual Remote?

I think you are asking why are there not strobes or flashes with built in receivers?

Personally I use a Radiopopper Jrx transmitter fits the hot shoe of my canon.

Then seperate Radiopopper receiver for my 580exIIs

All the EXIIs can be run on seperte channels

And all of this of course is manual,

Works fine indoor and out. But yes you do need a cable for the receivers to the speedlights.

Welcome FlashZebra

i use PW PLus II's. I like to have control of the light vs. ttl.

have you looked into elinchrom skyports? they can do flash groups..

-e

Quote Originally Posted by iND

I think you are asking why are there not strobes or flashes with built in receivers?

Sorry, perhaps my post was a little chaotic...

Primary question: Why no multi-channel radio-remotes that allow per-channel remote manual settings of flash power.

Secondary question: Why not the above radio-receiver integrated into the strobe to cut costs and clutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin500

Sorry, perhaps my post was a little chaotic...

Primary question: Why no multi-channel radio-remotes that allow per-channel remote manual settings of flash power.

Secondary question: Why not the above radio-receiver integrated into the strobe to cut costs and clutter.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

In doing my own research before settling on the PocketWizard FlexTT5s, here is what I discovered:
    1. The multi-channel type of device you describe is not practical, because then the transmitter must simultaneously emit signals over multiple frequencies, thereby increasing expense, and this is not necessary since manual settings can be controlled in other ways.
    2. Some strobes do integrate radio receivers. However, due to the fact that there are competing devices and RF methodologies in the market, no single communication standard exists. Thus the particular strobe you buy, if it has an integrated receiver, would only function for a particular type of RF triggering system. Stand-alone receivers may seem more expensive, but in fact, when you realize that many strobes are several times more expensive than the receivers, it becomes more cost-effective to keep them separate in order to maximize interoperability--that is, until a single standard is agreed upon (unlikely).
    3. The cost difference between non-TTL systems and TTL systems is not really all that much, especially considering that many companies that offer both, offer them in a way such that they remain interoperable. For instance, both PocketWizard's ControlTL and RadioPopper PrX systems are compatible with their respective previous-generation systems.
    4. The best solution would be to have the RF triggering system built directly by Canon into the body and their Speedlites, as well as sell stand-alone receivers for studio strobes, but they do not seem particularly interested in entering the RF trigger market.
    5. When I first started looking, I didn't care for TTL functionality at all. To be sure, I still don't. I could have been happy with just a regular trigger. But the eBay/Cactus triggers looked cheap and unreliable (waste of money); the CyberSyncs looked good but were very, shall we say, bare bones--especially for the cost; and RadioPopper lost my business because they couldn't stock their product in a timely fashion, not to mention their PrX system is hugely expensive and does not provide added value over Canon's ETTL-II, as opposed to PocketWizard's ControlTL.
    6. Hotshoes are a must. I honestly don't understand why PC sync is still used--it is a terrible cable design. Hotshoes, if designed properly, are secure, stable, and convenient. The only thing I can't understand is why PocketWizard went with "glass-reinforced resin" (read: hard plastic) for their hotshoe foot. It really could not cost that much to make one identical to the Canon feet. Oh, and while we're on the topic of hotshoes, I discovered something interesting about the PW hotshoe (on top). It is very close, but not identical, to the Canon hotshoe. It is not tapered down where the pin contacts are located. This means when you attach a Speedlite, it does not positively lock! The lever moves about 3/4ths the way across, but you can't push it all the way or else you could break the shoe.

Anyway, those are just my ramblings, not necessarily addressing everything in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

Anyway, those are just my ramblings, not necessarily addressing everything in your post.

Perhaps not, but thanks for your insights!

I think this feature will be available to you soon. Do some reasearch on the Radiopopper JrX units and the yet-unreleased RPCube. The cube will allow you to use the knobs on the RP JrX transmitter to individually adjust the manual power of TTL strobes connected to your RP receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I think this feature will be available to you soon. Do some reasearch on the Radiopopper JrX units and the yet-unreleased RPCube. The cube will allow you to use the knobs on the RP JrX transmitter to individually adjust the manual power of TTL strobes connected to your RP receivers.

Thanks for the pointer!

Now if only they was an EU version of the RadioPoppers...

PS: Just noticed that I meant "...per group remote manualsettings of flash power." instead of "per channel".