Thread: Question for 7D and 60D users

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question for 7D and 60D users

Sorry this is a weak question, I keep reading and rereading and have confused myself.
    So instead of rereading again. Figured I'd just ask.

Do either the 60d or the 7d use BOTH CF and SD cards?

It looks as though 60d uses SD and 7d uses CF, but I thought I read a review somewhere that one of them could use both.

Thanks

While your here.
    My t2i numbers files up to 9999 then went back to 0001, do either the 60d or 7d save files past 10k?
    Last edited by Kombi; 07-30-2012 at 10:04 PM.

As far as I know, it's either one or the other until you get into the fancy series. The 7d is CF only making it a hard step for those coming from the rebel series.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Kombi

The 7D is CF and CF only, it has only one card slot.

Can you please explain why the image number is an issue, how do you use and manage your images?
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Kombi

The 7D is CF and CF only, it has only one card slot.

Can you please explain why the image number is an issue, how do you use and manage your images?
    Thank you
    It's not really an issue it was roughly how I was keeping track of shutter count, so I was just curious if higher end cameras continued past 10k.
    My images are saved by date Year/month/day IMG_XXXX.CR2, so not an issue.
    I've only recently shot my first 10k pictures and was curious.

I believe the answer is no. My 7D only uses CF cards. I know the 5DIII uses both. My 7D only numbers to 9999 also. However, you can make the files custom names and numbers when you import them to your computer. For instance in EOS Utility click on preferences with your camera attached to your computer, you can change the import settings by using the drop down box.

If you were using a small file size and did end up with 10,000 pictures, the 7D will start a new folder and start saving at 0001 in the new folder. Or so I understand from the manual. Personally I have never had to worry about this, saving at the large file size I never get a tenth of the way to 10,000.

The 1D models have more ways to number and file your pictures inside of the camera, far more than I will ever use.
    The only issue I have ever run in to that was a nuisance because of the numbering system was a stop motion video I have been working on. I went past 9999 and because the files reset to 0001 I couldn't drag and drop the photo's in the right order. It was only a minor inconvenience

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    If you were using a small file size and did end up with 10,000 pictures, the 7D will start a new folder and start saving at 0001 in the new folder. Or so I understand from the manual. Personally I have never had to worry about this, saving at the large file size I never get a tenth of the way to 10,000.
    oh lol
    I wasn't worried about 10k pictures on the card, I think I'd have to stop and change batteries a couple times small file or not. My average shoots are now 1-200 playing with the dogs and maybe 3-500 at an event. Although I can get 2258 raw files on my 64GB card I have not needed that capacity.
    I'm still green

Yes upon some thought I think I mixed in a review of the 1Ds
    Thanks everyone

I have been looking at the 60d for some time but recently thought maybe take a bigger step and just go for the 7d-
    But as this is a hobby that I only got into this year, I have to balance whether I will benefit more from a new body or another lens.

My t2i does 90% or more of what I need it to do, but it is a bit slow (3.6 FPS vs 8 FPS on a 7D) when trying to capture the dogs running around I miss several shots. But for objects slower or not moving I think I capture most shots I want.

Will be finances and more realistically my wife that decides which if any upgrades i get anytime soon
    Last edited by Kombi; 07-30-2012 at 11:06 PM.

I think the lines are a little blurred now with the introduction of the t4i. It is so very similar to the 60D. If you were looking to upgrade, I would probably go for the 7D. If you get a refurbished model or something on sale, it is a steal. I purchased it when it was $1700 and wouldn't change my decision today. With the addition of the new firmware coming out in August, I think if she will allow, that would be my upgrade. Keep the T2i as it is a great backup. I personally have an xti as my backup and still use it from time to time.