Thread: Help with Lenses

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help with Lenses

Hello:

My current equipment consist of Canon 50D, EF-S 10-22mm, EF-S 18-200mm, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100-300mm. I am planning on eventually upgrade to full frame and get the EF 70-200mm. I am not very satisfied with the EFS 18-200 so I want to upgrade. I am considering the 24-105mm, 17-40mm, or 17-55mm. Any thoughts on which one to get? I am leaning towards 24-105 but the f/4 is throwing me off a little. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Help with Lenses

I have the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS...and it is the sole reason I didn't consider upgrading to a full frame camera from the 50D (instead I opted for the 7D). There simply isn't a full frame lens available that can match the versatility and image quality of that lens (in my humble opinion, that is). I would recommend it to anyone as an ideal general purpose lens for a crop sensor body. At the time of this posting, I own 6 lenses...and about 80% of the time, I'm using the 17-55mm workhorse.

I used it today, in fact, for this shot:

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I used it today, in fact, for this shot:

And DAMN you look suave! QueRico!

Besides that, unless you're planning to upgrade to full frame soon, I'd do what Sean Says... Full frame, i'd go with a 24-70 f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

There simply isn't a full frame lens available that can match the versatility and image quality of that lens (in my humble opinion, that is).

I think my 24-70 + 5d II yields far greater IQ than a 7d + 17-55... just my opinion as well (:

One conceded point though: I haven't really missed IS for stills but for video I'd call the 17-55 a litter more versatile.

Hey

I would also opt for the 17-55 for it's great quality and features but...

Quote Originally Posted by El Geek
    I am planning on eventually upgrade to full frame and get the EF 70-200mm.

This makes it a bit tricky...I also bought the 17-55 with the 50D and after 2 months upgraded to fullframe and the money I wasted on this beautiful lens was a bit of a pain. I have to say that the 17-55 is just amazing and in my opinion the best for a cropbody, but if your planning on going fullframe soon it wouldn't be the best choice.

Can I ask you why you want fullframe? You've got to sell your 10-22 as well in that case. The 17-40 would be great for extreme wideangle on a fullframe body, but the 24-105 (I own one) is simply a great walkaround lens and in my opinion you could shoot excellent portraits with it. f4 on full frame is pretty nice []

On a crop the 24-105 is a great lens as well and it is a safe bet if you plan to go full frame. You've got the wideangle covered with your 10-22 untill then. And about the f4...what about it? The IS a a great feature on a cropbody, but probably a bit unnecessary on fullframe. Still it is a wonderfull lens and I personally wouldn't trade it for a 24-70, but that's just me.

My conclusion, find out in what time you think you will upgrade. I would say: buy the 17-55 if you got plenty of time, else think good abput what you expect and want.

Jan

Once I upgrade to full frame, I want to keep the 50D as my backup. I love the 10-22mm lens and I use it a lot. I just ant to upgrade my walk around lens and I want to decide what would be best for my future purchases.

IMO, the 24-105mm f/4L is pretty much the ideal walkaround lens on FF. I wouldn't be too worried about the f/4 - keep in mind that the crop factor applies to DoF as well, so an f/2.8 lens on a crop body will have the same depth of field as f/4.5 on a full frame body.

Having said that, I absolutely love my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 on my 7D - for a crop body, I think it's the best choice as a walkadound lens, and is the one that's on my camera most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    <p id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_PostForm__QuoteText"]

IMO, the 24-105mm f/4L is pretty much the ideal walkaround lens on FF. I wouldn't be too worried about the f/4 - keep in mind that the crop factor applies to DoF as well, so an f/2.8 lens on a crop body will have the same depth of field as f/4.5 on a full frame body.

Having said that, I absolutely love my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 on my 7D - for a crop body, I think it's the best choice as a walkadound lens, and is the one that's on my camera most of the time.

I have the luxury of owning both lenses and could not agree more. [Y]

Edited: Addedneuroanatomist's missing quote.

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo
    I have the luxury of owning both lenses and could not agree more. [img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

I had the 17-55 in combo with the 50D and now I have the 24-105 on FF and I couldn't agree more either...buttt....

<div>

I am planning on eventually upgrade to full frame

Untill that time you will find yourself wanting a shallower depth of field than f4 on a APS-C body. So you need to find out what time-line you're in. Are you going to upgrade within a year for instance, the 17-55 will be a moneybreaker (that happened to me[A]). Since you have to sell it so soon.

If your planning is longer term, the 17-55 is a safe bet and the best bet in my opinion. It's a very good lens!

<div>

I am leaning towards 24-105 but the f/4 is throwing me off a little

My suggestion, go with f2.8 immediately so you wont have second thoughts later on. I personally don't shoot a lot at f2.8 or bigger so I wouldn't mind the f4.

My final suggestion: figure out what your future plans are and in what time they are planned. After that you couldn't make the best decision yourself.

Jan
    </div>

</div>

i would personaly buy the 17-40 because i have 1 and the image quality and build quality are awsome and on a crop body is a great walkaround but on full frame is a lil bit wide so maby i would get the 24-105 or 24-70 if its it your buget