Thread: New Lens Bird Shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Lens Bird Shots

I've been wanting to get a new lens that has enought reach to photograph birds, since my 70-200mm doesn't quite make it. I found a local photo forum member selling his older 600mm non is in order tto buy a new 800mm lens, and, after much thought, I decided to buy it.

I'm 67 and the thought of carrying that monster did not exactly excite me. Starting 10 days from the day I picked it up, we have had rain, snow, hail, and high winds such that I really could not reasonably use it. Today, the sun was peeping thru and the winds were much better, so I lugged everything out and set it up for a few attempts to photograph some birds at my feeder, and to see how sharp it was.

The light was pretty harsh, and some photos were overexposed, but I was pleased with the sharpness. I hope to really start to learn to use it for bif and wildlife soon.

Re: New Lens Bird Shots

Holy Chow! Them some very sharp photos for a non-IS lens.

Very nice.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

These photos are REALLY sharp! I am sure the results your going to achieve with this lens is going to make lugging it around well worth it! Beautiful photos!

Denise

That's a great start with the new lens! I'd love to have one of the big long lenses but like you, a little hesitant of their weight. Let us know how easy it is to manage on the trails and give us some samples from the "learning curve."

Can you post some 100% crops? They could look very soft or great at that resolution.

John.

Fast Glass - I REALLY doubt these will look very (or at all) soft.

Great IQ and great pics!

What kind of 600mm lens is it?

If you don't mind, I'll offer some technical critique:

1. First shot bird is sharp but you might want to use a narrower aperture.

2. Good head angle, composition, bird's head is overexposed slightly. If possible try to shoot birds w/o feeder.

my 2¢

brendan

scalesusa,

Great shots with an awesome lens! I have also been contemplating the future purchase of the Canon 600mm f/4L non-IS. I'd love to hear some detailed feedback from you when you get the chance to use it more.

My biggest concern is the lack of IS. What kind of tripod set up do you have for this lens? What shutter speeds can you achieve without camera-motion blur in the image? I'm wondering whether or not a good tripod w/ a full wimberley head can handle this lens with slow-ish shutter speeds without allowing enough camera motion (when you're shooting with your eye to the viewfinder, hand on lens, etc...) to produce a blurred image. Or would a 500mm f/4L IS + 1.4x extender produce better photos in a slightly low-light situation?

Those are just a few things I'm thinking about. You can get great deals on a used (excellent condition) 600mm f/4L non-IS. Cheaper than a 500mm f/4L IS.

Anyways, I think you chose well. I'm sure it's a dream to use. Have fun! []

Derrick

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    The light was pretty harsh, and some photos were overexposed, but I was pleased with the sharpness. I hope to really start to learn to use it for bif and wildlife soon.

Very nice test shots I have to say [Y]

Have fun with your new lens and enjoy it![H]

Jan