Thread: Backyard Birds - C&C Welcomed!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Backyard Birds - C&C Welcomed!

Good Afternoon All!!

I had to waste a vacation day from work today to get the dogs groomed and to the vet. So, while the groomer was parked out front grooming the dogs in her van, I was out in the back taking photos of the birds. It has been a long cold winter so needless to say it has been awhile since I've stood outside with the tripod taking shots!

Next month, I plan on going to the International Crane Foundation http://www.savingcranes.org/. So, I figure I had better start practicing and get back into the swing of things!

Comments welcomed!

Sorry so many ...w/ 3 dogs getting groomed, I had alot of time on my hands!!

Thanks for looking!

Denise

Re: Backyard Birds - C&C Welcomed!

WOW, very impressive indeed - very sharp - TACK SHARP! Egad, enjoy the weather, they are calling for snow for some of the northern parts of the *T-dot*!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Whoa!

#2 through #9 are freaking awesome!!! Nice exposures, very sharp with a nice creamy background, some catchlight, and wonderful composition too!

Have you been camping out in Joels

+1 to the above comments Denise. I like number 6, the twig across the tail maybe takes a bit from it, but it is too good a shot for that to detract from it being my favourite.

And I really like number 7 how the branch leads in from the bottom left corner, maybe you could keep that feature but just crop it a bit.

And 8 & 9 are very good too.

Makes me what to have another go at some birds.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thanks, guys! I wasn

Hey Denise.....well done....looks like your skills made it through the long hard winter unscathed! All of those look good and sharp.

Not much to critique really, but here

Denise,

The birds on the branches are all excellent. You've got the exposure, composition, subject posture and focus just right for my tastes. They really belong in the 'post your best birds' thread. I wish we had the same variety over here. I'm lucky if I see that many species in my garden in a typical year.

I think the shots of the birds on the fence suffer from unnatural backgrounds, but you've got good bokeh so it isn't too much of a distraction.

I think the first and last shots have too much foreground, which lacks anything of interest. For birds on the ground, I try to minimise the foreground as much as possible. I find this gives a more pleasing composition. The first shot has some harsh shadows, but I'm sure you are an excellent judge of shadows, so I should not say much more about that.

I hope you get some good conditions for the cranes, can't wait to see the results.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-12-2011 at 05:03 PM.