Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better Upgrade? 50D or an L?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Better Upgrade? 50D or an L?

So I got into photography a few years ago by buying a Rebel XT and a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 lens. I am starting to feel the limitations of my current setup, so I am looking to spend ~$1200 to possibly upgrade.

Do you think getting a 50D w/ the stock lens, or keeping the Rebel XT and getting an L (probably the 24(?)-105 f/4 IS) would be a better upgrade?

I shoot almost anything under the sun right now, mostly landscapes, but am moving more into portraits, etc, so I need a pretty versitile setup. Any thoughts?d

Re: Better Upgrade? 50D or an L?

I'd say it depends on what kind of flexibility you're looking for and what about your current setupannoyingyou the most. Going to a 50D will give you a bunch more resolution, faster response and double your current framerate. A 24-105 f/4 IS is in my opinion on of the mostversatilelenses canon makes and does almost anything decently well. Unless you need the resolution or speed out of the camera I'd go w/ new glass. That will give you more range, sharper pictures, and since the 24-105 is great wide open you can shoot still subjects in lower light thank to the IS.

My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    I am starting to feel the limitations of my current setup

What limitations of your current setup do you start noticing?

Glass first, lighting second andbody eventually.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Agreed with the above, all my Photographer friends pointed me in this direction and it makes more and more sense.

But my one friend personally said flash first, especially if you're taking any photos at night, indoors, etc.. flash is very useful and getting a great picture. I personally go the L then the flash, but I understood his point.

Just purchased my 70-200 2.8 IS, next is either the 16-35 or 24-70 to complete the Trinity of the Zooms Then get a new body .. then blow the extra earnings on a few primes

In my case, I was thinking of going to the 5DII from the 40D.. as I wanted to make the FF jump, but that's after one more L purchase, here's hoping the price on the 5DII drops soon!

The biggest limitation I have been noticing is just a general lack of sharpness in my photos. My main concern about moving to an L with the XT is whether that body would benefit that greatly from the upgrade to an L. I don't like the idea of getting an L and having it be only a marginal improvement over my current setup due to the older body.

As to the idea of a flash, I actually did just order a 580exII. Should be in on monday

I was worried about the same thing a while back. Like you, I also use the XT. At the time, I sort of figured that a Rebel body was designed to only handle non-L lenses and were somewhat out of their league when they had an L mounted to them. After that I decided to rent a 24-105L when I took a trip to Italy and was VERY impressed by the sharpness. I was actually surprised that my little XT could crank out pictures as sharp as that. Now I have a 70-200 2.8 IS and am even more impressed If sharpness is a concern of yours, the 24-105 will put you at ease.

~mike~

Good glass is the way to go and you will notice an improvement, but the extra the 50D has to offfer will be even better. I have the 50D with the 24 - 105 f/4 IS and couldn't be happier, they are sharp, very very sharp. If you do go for the kit lens though, as I did, stay away from the ef-s 18 - 200. With portrait work especially it has a very limited usable focal range, 45 - 85mm at f/8 is the sharpest range I found with this lens, anything outside this makes the photos to soft or blurry even. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    Do you think getting a 50D w/ the stock lens, or keeping the Rebel XT and getting an L (probably the 24(?)-105 f/4 IS) would be a better upgrade?
    I would echo the other advice to consider lenses and flash first. You might also consider a mixed option: the 500D and Tamron 17-50 together for $1180. That will blow the socks off the 50D+kit and it will also blow the socks off the 350D+24-105. I don't like the smaller xxxD bodies, though; I much prefer xxD.

Lens first, if for no other reason than that the 50D is nearing the end of it's product cycle and will (should) be cheaper in say 4-5 months :P