Thread: Flying

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Flying

This is my forst post.

I'm currently working in Vietnam. I got a home trip during my holiday. This is one example of few hundred pictures that i took from my trip. All comments are welcome.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.37/_5F00_MG_5F00_3647.JPG[/img]

Re: Flying

There are quite a few bird shooters in this forum who could probably give you some great advice on how to capture spectacular bird shots. I think it would help a little if you posted some data on the shot (i.e. shutter speed, f-stop, iso, etc...) to get a better idea of what you did to capture the shot.

My first impression is that the photo is a little soft, perhaps a faster shutter speed would have helped. I think it is also more appealing to have a little more area for the bird "to fly into" and not so much trailing the bird, but it's all subjective anyway...

Birds are quite hard to capture well and I think you made a great attempt--keep shooting and posting!

I have a feeling the forum cut off a fair amount of the image to the right, but I agree with the suggestion to allow room in front of the bird.

Exif Viewer info: 40D, f7.1, ISO200, 1/500s, 365mm

The picture is cut off on the right by the board, it should be viewed at full size for true composition. There is some motion blur evident, higher shutter speed would have taken care of that.

I kind of like how the top Bokeh is still and the Bokeh directly around the bird has motion blur. Gives a lot of emphasis on the speed at which the bird was flying. So whatcha doing in Vietnam? Just curious...

I believe Bryan has mentioned a few times that the width of the post element is 800px. So for a landscape 3:2, resize the image to 800x600. Is this cropped much. My instict would lead me to believe that the image is soft because it is heavily cropped and therefore shows more of the micro-imperfections in the lens (which lens?). but I could be totally wrong.

Dear all,

Thanks so much for all comments. I think it was my mistake to upload too big picture into the system and finally the picture is cut off.

The lens that I use for this was100-400 L with the AI servo A/F mode. I'm not a fan of noise and try to keep ISO as low as I can. It was late afternoon and not so much light, I thought 1/500 shutter speed would be good enough to catch this bird. I now feel I have to practice much more on this type of picture.

Vietnam is a very nice country and have many places to go out for shooting, just because of my work that why not so many chances togo outthere.

Cheers,

1/500 is too slow both for BIF and handhold (365 x 1.6=584), what I see in your image is motion blur. I'd rather have an image with some noise then a blurry image. Good luck next time, and may I ask what part of Vietnam are you currently in?

Hi Sinh,

I saw andmany of your pictures and very impressed for all of them. also thanks a lot for your suggestion and I will try next time for this. I actually is a Thai guy who work in Ho Chi Minh City. We can communicate separately out of this forum. May i know your mail address?? My personal mail address is chinptha@gmail.com

Cheers,

Thana