Thread: Advice Please!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice Please!

I really need some advice here! A couple days ago, I sold my 70-200 f/4 IS on FM. I really liked the lens but I never really found reason for it to be the lens I'd instantly grab for. I purchased it new from B&H in July of last year and it has been used for less than 50 shots I would guess.

The guy that bought it sent me this message tonight ...

<span style="color: #ff0000;"]"Denise,

<span style="color: #ff0000;"]<span style="color: #ff0000;"]I received the lens today. I won't be able to try it out on a camera until Sunday, but I'm having a problem with the focus ring. When the lens is pointed upwards and the focus ring is turned towards a closer focusing distance, the focus scale sticks. The ring turns smooth but the scale doesn't. This happens pretty consistently. This concerns me because I wasn't expecting to have any issues with this lens."

"I'm going to test the lens out on a camera body on Sunday. If the problem persists, would it be possible to set up a return?"

<span style="color: #000000;"]So now I don't know what to do! I didn't have any problems at all when I used it but then again I can't remember ever pointing it upwards. If I had noticed any problems, I would have sent it to Canon since it is still under warranty.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem with a lens? Has anyone here ever expereinced a problem with an online sale? Can't he just use the warranty card and send it into Canon to be checked or do I need to give him a refund? He probably didn't but how do I know he didn't drop it? Isn' tthe reason of selling something with the blank warranty card so they can use it. Now he probably thinks I sold him a lens I knew had issues when I didn't.

Denise

Re: Advice Please!

He is turning past the scales limits. My first guess is it

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk

Check serial number to make sure there was no switch

OMG! I am so naive that I didn't even think of that! But since I gave him the warranty card, I have nothing to check the serial number with! [:'(]

Might be on the original reciept

He will probably be fine once he uses it

He is doing the same thing we do with new lenses, trying to make sure it is ok

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    But since I gave him the warranty card, I have nothing to check the serial number with!

Did you register the lens online (that's what I've done with all my lenses)? If you did, you should be able to log onto your Canon account and view your registered products and their serial numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Did you register the lens online (that's what I've done with all my lenses)?

Nope! God, I'm an idiot! I kept meaning to ...and then I kept forgetting!

He just PM'd me again. He is asking for the receipt ...he said he "might" be able to get it fixed under warranty. IF there is something wrong with it ...there isn't any reason why Canon wouldn't cover it, is there?

Back to the self defense thread, did you hit someone in the head with it?

I think they will cover it.

I wouldn