Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else excited about the 40mm pancake?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone else excited about the 40mm pancake?

Pancake lens, that is.

I know I am. It's so tiny. If its optical performance is good, and it beats 200 bucks I might consider it.

Thoughts?
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Well, the 50mm f/1.8 II was pretty much *the* must-have lens, if only because it's a "my first fast-prime" and for $100, why not?

if the 40/2.8 Pancake launches at $200, it won't be more than a year before it's $150 or even lower, it could take over that position of "my first cheap-as-anything prime".
    I've never seen a xxxxD/xxxD/rebel kit with a 50/1.8II (except maybe on ebay), but something like an 1100D with a 40/2.8 would make a very nice walkaround/street/discrete kit, methinks (I'm waiting for the first shots from/of a 40/2.8 pancake on a 1DX though)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

The focus ring of this 40 f/2,8 looks similar to the 50 f/1,8 II and in the pancake lens it will be closer to the camera.

What does "STM" means? Something about the motor?

STM is their new type of motor, being launched tomorrow with the 40mm pancake and the new 18-135.
    S is Silent, M is Motor, the T i'm not so sure, probably Transmission?
    Either way, it's not a USM because that requires all the Ultrasonic bits. From what I gather, it's just a normal micromotor, just Silent (for whatever "silent" means, I can hear a USM if my ear is close enough...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Yep, I am intrigued. I had been hoping to look at the MTF chart this morning, but it isn't up yet, at least on canon USA's website. The novalty is part of the draw, but mostly, I am intrigued by the size and weight.

EDIT:
    Just checked---
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ef40stm_mtf.gif 
Views:	74 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	1156
    Looks pretty good. Some fall off on a FF, but for a crop, looks pretty sharp.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 06-08-2012 at 04:48 PM.

$199 MSRP! I'm intrigued. I hope the 7D gets a firmware update to allow full time AF in video to take advantage of this lens, but I'm not holding my breath. I wonder if the digic 5 bodies only will get an update. Canon can't have only its flagship rebel with full time AF in video, right?

Quote Originally Posted by thekingb View Post
    $199 MSRP! I'm intrigued. I hope the 7D gets a firmware update to allow full time AF in video to take advantage of this lens, but I'm not holding my breath. I wonder if the digic 5 bodies only will get an update. Canon can't have only its flagship rebel with full time AF in video, right?
    I guess they do... Perhaps more camera's will come out soon(7D mark II?), I don't know. But what I've read is that the 650D has special AF sensors merged into the main sensor so you can have full time AF during video.(while also having a dedicated AF sensor like normally) The 7D doesn't have this so you probably won't get any update on that. At least, that's what I think.

The 40mm lens does seem very very interesting. I believe STM is for Silent Stepper Motor, whatever that means. I do know that the STM does have full time manual override. Too bad it isn't just a stop wider. f2 would be amazing and if quality was good it would definitely be interesting to replace the 50mm 1.4
    We'll see. At least this lens got my attention.

All I can compare to is the 50mm f/1.8, as it's my most similar prime in terms of length and price.

I'm expecting it to be super sharp wide open, as all of Canon recent designs seem quite good. Sure, faster would be nice, but the 50mm f/1.8 isn't at it's best before f/2.8 anyway. I usually limit myself to f/2.5.

I'm expecting nice bokeh, not pentagons.

The AF HAS to be better the than the 50mm f/1.8, especially since it's a brand new system. I expect the MF will be better too. Someone has already said it has FTM, which is nice.

The price is nice too.

Yes, I'm interested in this lens.

Yes. I hope the testing pans out to make this lens a must have.

The guys at dpreview say that it's about half the thickness of the 50mm f1.8 That's insanely thin!
    It has a 7-blade aperture, don't know if it's rounded, but it probably will give you much better bokeh than the 50mm f1.8. All in all it does seem like a very interesting lens Albeit it must perform extremely good at f2.8 otherwide the price-difference will be too big I think.