Thread: Splitting displays on two monitors

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Splitting displays on two monitors

Need some help...I have two monitors that are pretty nice, but have only been able to use the one for editing photos. I would like to extend my computer monitors to the two displays so I can have photoshop up on one and maybe have lightroom or something else on the other. I have looked at some monitor extenders on Amazon, but didn't really have a good feeling as to what I was looking at. I am sure some of us on here have dual displays for their computers and have some pretty good suggestions. So let's hear them.

Thanks for you input everyone.

Jayson

Jayson I think you need to give more information, like what kind of computer you have and what type of graphic card does it have.

I have two monitors on my lap top, since it has a port on the back and a graphic card it is easy to do.
    Some graphic cards support two monitors, some do not.
    I would prefer having two cards over using the splitter you mention. Plus I am not sure a VGA splitter could offer you an extended desktop (which is what you are asking about).

Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-12-2011 at 05:26 PM.

If you have dual monitor support on you card, Ultra-Mon is the software to look at to manage the displays. Hope this helps

If you have a reasonably modern graphics card that has at least two digital output connectors (DVI, HDMI or DisplayPort) there shouldn't be any problems connecting two monitors and using them both. As for software Windows 7 has a pretty decent multi-monitor support out of the box so I don't think Ultra-Mon or other additional software is needed at least at the beginning. But in any case more information about your computer, operating system and graphics card would be nice to better help you.

I run two monitors (a 27" Hazro HZ27WC, 2560x1440 resolution and a 20" Dell 2005FPW, 1680x1050 resolution) and a 720p LCD video projector for my home-theater from my Radeon 6850 graphics card. The second display is a great help while editing photos and for any other work also. I usually keep my Skype and other IM programs on it when I'm just surfing the net or doing something else on the main display. When editing photos I usually keep the grid view from Lightroom on the second display (the Dell) or if I'm trying new techniques or learning something I keep the guide/video on the Dell and work with Photoshop on the main display. If you have the opportunity to use two displays I highly recommend it!

Great responses everyone and thank you. I do have dual monitor support on my desktop computer it appears. One is a VGA and the other is via an HDMI port. I was going to see if I could just purchase a HDMI to VGA or DVI (my monitors support both) and see if I can get it going for a $7.99. I have windows 7 so as suggested, I think I might just try that out for starters. I have a low-end graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 3200) since I didn't really want to spend a whole lot of money on my computer at the time (really want to upgrade but that's for another year). I don't do any gaming and just really use my computer for editing photos and talking to everyone here. I believe when I upgrade to a better set up, I was planning on getting something a little more up the ladder. Thanks everyone again for your suggestions.

Jayson

Yes the adapter should be fine. I suggest you go with the digital HDMI to DVI adapter. You can pick one up for probably under $5 from any electronics store/eBay (they are just small physical adapters, I have a few that came with graphics cards I bought) and then plug your main display to that via a normal DVI cable.

Or if you don't have a DVI cable for your monitor already you might as well buy a HDMI-DVI cable so there wouldn't be a need for an adapter and connect your main display to the HDMI port with the HDMI-DVI cable. And then just use the VGA output (that you are currently using for single monitor setup I presume?) for the other monitor. I use such a cable for my projector since my old graphics card had only DVI output when I bought the projector and even though my current graphics card has a HDMI-out (and DVI, VGA, DisplayPort also) I didn't see any reason to buy another 50ft cable since the old one works as well.