Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newborn Baby Photography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newborn Baby Photography

Good Morning All -

Not too far back I posted some photos I had taken of my granddaughter and they turned out to be a tad sharper than they should be for a more pleasing portrait look. A friend of mine here did a very nice job of softening them in PP which brings me to my questions ...

I just found out that my daughter will giving my granddaughter a sibling this summer and me another model to practice on! [] [] []

During the pregnancy I would like to capture some memorable photos of for example, my granddaughter kissing her belly, daddy's head on her tummy, etc. and when the baby is born, I of course want to capture as many memorable photos of his/her first days as possible including small group shots.

I am hoping that these first photos will less practice and more semi-skilled. Ok, well maybe I'm shooting alittle high here ...something in between practice and semi-skilled! [:P]

I am visioning photos where many are B&W and take on that softer look maybe out of camera rather than PP. I am wanting to capture a mood as much as possible. Hopefully, this makes sense! Also, I am concerned with lighting & flash of course. Too much probably not a good thing for a newborn.

Anyway, can anyone provide advice, links, photos with compostion advice & EXIF that will help me prepare for this!? It will be the first time that I have anything more than a point and shoot for this event! I remember someone here posting some beautiful newborn shots not too long ago but I can't remember who it was or where to find them and the setup info.

Is there anything I should buy that I don't already have (see profile)? I only have a 7d but with all fingers crossed will have a 5D mk?? before the blessed day ...even if I have to sell a few currently owned lenses to pay for it (considering selling the 17-55mm, 70-200mm f/4 and currently trying to sell the 1.4ex II).

Thanks All!

Denise

Re: Newborn Baby Photography

Is there anything on earth you don't already have? Surely you'll be able to take a nice baby portrait with the myriad of lenses and accessories you already own.

I thought the US was in a recession! [:P]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    Is there anything on earth you don't already have?
    A 5D for one thing!

Surely you'll be able to take a nice baby portrait with the myriad of lenses and accessories you already own.

I'm sure you are right but I was mostly inquiring about creative composition ideas, pose suggestions, working with B&W, soft lighting, hospital lighting issues, Since I posted this, I have found some helpful ideas on the internet and for the rest, I can just take my mirage of lenses and accessories and wing it!

I thought the US was in a recession!
    Yeah, if we weren't, I'd already own the 5D and a few more lenses! [:P]

Thanks,

Denise

Hi Denise,

The best tools for portrait photography are the5DMKll and the 85mm1.2. But there are a lot of good portrait photos posted here, that use gear a lot more humble than that and not as good as the gear you already own.

What sets apart the best poirtrait photos on this site is an understanding of light or Stobist knowledge. Light is the key.[I] The Flickr sites that I follow and admire, the ones that have hundreds and hundreds of professional portrait photos are wishing each other things like, "I hope you find lots of good light in 2011", not "I hope they fix the focus shift issue with the 50mm1.2"

From a gear perspective I would look at battery powered remote lighting sources so you can control light better.

And then if I was to put myself in your shoes and be as passionate and want to take my photography to the next level, invest in education. Do some portrait specific course, that focuses on lighting.I don't know your learning style but I find it very frustratingtrying to learnby failed experimentation, whenI am so keen to improve.

I did a "in-house"one night a week, 6 week course with a very respected portrait photographer and the thing that set him apart was his ability to understand and control light, his knowledge of how to pose a model(composition) and his Photoshop skill. It was second nature to him, to position his lights and reflectors, to chin up, lean forward, hand on knee. He made us all look younger and more photogenic just with lighting and posing knowledge. He only used a nifty fifty and his shots were incredible.

But then his Photoshop skill were excellent, he could copy a good head from one class photo and stick it in another and manipulate wedding photos in minutes.

So if I was youI would invest in education and lighting.[Y]

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Thank you, Steve!

As soon as some time allows, I would love to take some classes and expand on a nice lighting setup w/ radio poppers or something of the sort.

In the meantime, I just picked up a great book on Elements and am getting one that just came out on speedlights.

So you are very correct with those suggestions and I will be looking into what I can do to expand on them!

Thanks Much!

Denise

Denise,

Congratulations! My sister-in-law is expecting and I can't wait to take newborn pictures of her little angle :-)

In the hospital…the light will be bad and the surroundings will be ugly :-( Use your fast glass and shoot wide open with available light. Shoot tight and be mindful of your backgrounds. Try to keep the array of hospital bells and whistles that adorn the wall directly behind the hospital bed out of the frame. Although they are, many new mothers don't exactly feel beautiful right after birth so be respectful of that. Get lots of "details" shots of mother's hands holding the baby, etc.

Once you're home you really don't need a completely robust studio set up. All you really need is one umbrella or soft box to give you some nice soft/gentle light. Placement is more important that quantity. Keep the light close to keep the light soft. Also, indirect (off camera) flash will be easier on the baby's eyes than the flash coming right off of a point-and-shoot so don't worry about that.

Here are a few examples for you. The 1st three were done in the mother's living room with a 580 EXII shot into a shot-through 43'' umbrella. The last two were done in my in-home studio. Also, blankets and anything soft and cuddly work well. You want to keep these little ones nice and warm :-)

1) 5D II, 24-70mm f/2.8, @ f/11, 1/200th, ISO 800

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2260.Lux_5F00_002.JPG[/img]

2) 5D II, 24-70mm f/2.8, @ f/11, 1/200th, ISO 800

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2766.Lux_5F00_007.JPG[/img]

3) 5D II, 24-70mm f/2.8, @ f/11, 1/200th, ISO 800

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/6266.Lux_5F00_013.JPG[/img]

4) 5D II, 24-70mm f/2.8, @ f/8, 1/200th, ISO 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/3660.Caroline_5F00_019.JPG[/img]

5) 5D II, 24-70mm f/2.8, @ f/8, 1/200th, ISO 400

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/0871.Caroline_5F00_021.JPG[/img]

Denise

Just a few examples for more ideas.

This first one I did with two umbrellas. I did not have photoshop at the time so the PP looks bad but it is a fun shot.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2781.portrait58a.jpg[/img]

This one was done with just one umbrella. You can see where the baby sucked his knuckle.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/3618.IMG_5F00_0051a.jpg[/img]

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Image Date: 2009-08-12 10:31:27 -0500
    Focal Length: 105.0mm
    Aperture: f/7.1
    Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
    ISO equiv: 400

This one with an umbrella for key and softbox from above

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/4314.IMG_5F00_0030aa.jpg[/img]

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Image Date: 2009-10-04 15:14:55 -0500
    Focal Length: 92.0mm
    Aperture: f/10.0
    Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
    ISO equiv: 160

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

This first one I did with two umbrellas. I did not have photoshop at the time so the PP looks bad but it is a fun shot.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/2781.portrait58a.jpg[/img]

This photo is adorable! I had already told my daughter when she gets farther along I wanted to get a photo of my granddaughter and son-in lawlistening to the heartbeat or kissing her belly when she is farther along! This idea didn't thrill her unless it's over the shirt. I will show her this photo and hope it changes her mind! I think this shot is great and reaffirms my desire to capture it!

Also, I think I should pack my black muslin background or pick up a black velvet one to bring to the hospital!

Thanks!

Denise

I forgot about this one.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/8306.portrait59a.jpg[/img]
    Mark

<p class="MsoNormal"]Did some pregnant belly shots today. Here are just a couple.
    <p class="MsoNormal"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/3808.IMG_5F00_0102_5F00_pp.jpg[/img]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Lens: EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM
    Focal Length: 73mm
    Aperture: f/9.0
    Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
    ISO equiv: 160
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Exposure: Manual
    <p class="MsoNormal"][img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/1425.IMG_5F00_0164.jpg[/img]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Lens: EF100mm f/2 USM
    Image Date: 2011-01-08 16:42:35 -0600
    Focal Length: 100.0mm
    Aperture: f/2.8
    Exposure Time: 0.020 s (1/50)
    ISO equiv: 50
    Exposure Bias: none
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Exposure: Manual
    <p class="MsoNormal"]Mark
    Mark