Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Business of Photography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Business of Photography

Ran across this article (Court rules against Christian photographer) on my local news web page and thought a string about the business of photography would be a good addition to our collection of informative strings. This particular article could certainly be controversial, but one that wedding photographers should be aware of.
    Bob

It’s a matter of law and justice. The question is: must we obey a law we consider unfair?

If there were a law that forbid me to take photos of gay couples, I will disobey it. Consistently, I understand this photographer. Although for opposite reasons, he have acted the same way I would.

Nevertheless, as responsible citizens, we have to accept the consequences of disobeying laws, even those we consider unfair.

Not a question of law so much as ethics in my opinion. There's no way the photographer didn't know what the job entailed. A good photographer would have had the foresight to know what's on the agenda so he can plan his shots. If there was religious reasons as to why he couldn't shoot all the shots they were expecting, he shouldn't have taken the job.

In this business there needs to be full disclosure. He would have been able to adhere to his religious beliefs as an honest businessman and stayed out of legal trouble had he bothered to communicate with his clients.

Of course, this is assuming that the discussion never took place. If it was agreed that he would get that shot but didn't, citing religious reasons, then that's completely different.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    In this business there needs to be full disclosure.
    Guess this: you were signed to take photos in a convention. Your client didn’t give you more information and you didn’t request it (yes, here is the problem but assume it happened).

When you arrive, you see it’s a convention completely legal but absolutely against your beliefs or ideas (let’s say a Nazi convention or whatever you want). You are aware that, with your work, you are going to promote those ideas and get paid for do so.

What should you do?
    A: Professionalism is above all and you do the work.
    B: Your beliefs are above all and you refuse to do the work.
    C: Take the photos trying to capture the worst face of this people (both literally and metaphorically).

And of course D: Any other answer.

Ha! Well, assuming that for some unbelievable reason I take that job without any information (wowza) It'd most definitely be option B. I'd be firm on that one, especially when the scenario is the promotion of.. Whatever is anti my beliefs/values.

Even though I know that if there were to be media about the breech of contract that would probably bring more press than my photography would, similar to what happened with this photog, I don't think I could still bring myself to do it.

That's a big stretch though. I'd never take a job that unprepared.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I guess I am discriminating when I refuse to shoot a nude subject.
    I have also flatly refused to shoot a wedding outdoors in July or August.
    I have had a gay couple call to inquire about hiring me. I told them I was already booked for that day
    Mark

I've shot gays, lesbians, Muslims, Christians, and the last nude I shot was a 50 year-old woman. I didn't have an issue shooting any of them. Personally, I don't see the benefit (socially, morally, or economically) of discriminating against any group. I accept people's views and try to treat them with the respect they deserve as individuals; of course, acceptance doesn't necessarily mean agreement. In my mind, civilized people should be able to interact with one another without having to see eye-to-eye on everything. :-)
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 06-06-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I've shot gays, lesbians, Muslims, Christians, and the last nude I shot was a 50 year-old woman. I didn't have an issue shooting any of them. Personally, I don't see the benefit (socially, morally, or economically) of discriminating against any group. I accept people's views and try to treat them with the respect they deserve as individuals; of course, acceptance doesn't necessarily mean agreement. In my mind, civilized people should be able to interact with one another without having to see eye-to-eye on everything. :-)
    Well said. I totally agree with this.

I think your personal believes and opinions are in these cases the most important thing. You shouldn't take photos of a gay marriage if gay marriage is something that strives against your believes.
    I don't know the background of the story, but if I were that photographer I would decline the request and be honest to tell why. I doubt it's illigal to have your own opinion. If the photographer was money-hungry and accepted it before figuring out the details...well that's just stupid and when you sign a contract you've got to do it.

On the other hand. If I were part of the couple and asked the photographer I probably would have mentioned the gay-thing as one of the first things. It's not a secret that not everyone is as comfortable around gay people as around "normal" couples. If you don't have the right vibe with your photographer or the photographer doesn't feel entirely comfortable I don't believe the photos will turn out brilliantly anyway.

For what it's worth: About a week ago I got the question to shoot a young couples wedding. Normally I wouldn't have declined right away and would have liked to get to know the couple first. However this one I declined immediately. In the town where I live a large number of people is religious(nothing wrong with that), but some are really strictly(with ancient rules in my opinion). Anyway this young couple were having a baby together and that is seen as big sin before marriage. Since it's a small town I live in and people talk a lot. These two youngsters are in some trouble and their families names have been dishonored. Therefor they are socially "forced" to make it a little bit right by marrying each other before they get the baby. I have seen one of these marriages happening before and it's definitely not the best day of the couples lives. It's more of a business deal than a celebration.
    I didn't decline because of the couple, they are probably very nice people, but for my own reasons: I don't want to take pictures of things I disagree with or don't like to see. I think everyone has their standards and should stick with them. Photography is still sort of an art and you need to have your head straight doing it.

I have shot weddings where the bride & groom have been living together for some time. I have shot Idian weddings.
    When I meet gay people I treat them pretty much the same as anyone else, with respect.
    I do not decline shooting nudes or gays because they are in conflict with my Christian beliefs, which they are by the way. So is the couple who was living together before marriage.
    I am uncomfortable with seeing any nude women other than my wife, therefor I decline to shoot nudes. I am also uncomfortable with being apart of an intimate cerimony with a gay atmospher. I make it a point to avoid situations that make me uncomfortable.
    If I owned a resturant I would not have any problem with serving them like anyone else. If any of my customers got intimate in my resturant, gay or straight I would ask them to leave.
    Mark