Thread: Dust in my 70-200 2.8 II

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust in my 70-200 2.8 II

I have had my new 70-200 2.8 II for two days now and can see a speck of dust inside the lens on the glass.

I know this will most likely never show up on any photos, but a lens with this price tag should be perfect, or I'm I being to picky.

Should I exchange it or leave will enough alone?

I appreceiate your time and comments...

Re: Dust in my 70-200 2.8 II

Its totally fine and normal.

My 24-105 came with spot on an inner element. It looked like a chip or something but it was actually a spec of grease or something. If I looked closely at my pics I could notice a very slight blemish in the shots that I'd really have convince myself it was anything at all. So I left it alone until I decided to sell the lens. I wanted to be able to say the lens was perfect so I sent it back to Canon since it was less than a year old and the cleaned it out.

If I were you I'd send it in and not exchange it. When you send it back to Canon a skilled tech will calibrate the lens also. Every time I've sent a lens in for service it has come back seemingly sharper.

Thanks for the comments, its always good to hear from others that have knowledge and experience.

My copy of theEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II USM arrived last week, completely clean. But, if it had shown up with internal dust, I would not have left it alone. I suppose it would depend on how I bought it - if it was from a local brick-and-mortar shop, and they had another in stock, I'd exchange it. B&amp;H online (how I got mine) also handles exchanges very well. But otherwise, I'd just send it to Canon.

I have never sent anything to canon, can someone tell me what the process is like?

You can start the process online if you like, using THIS LINK(you'll need your serial number - it's on the lens, box, and warranty card).

Or, call1-800-652-2666 and follow the prompts through Cameras &gt; EOS to get to a live person. They'll provide shipping information for the nearest service center.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

My 24-105 came with spot on an inner element. It looked like a chip or something but it was actually a spec of grease or something. If I looked closely at my pics I could notice a very slight blemish in the shots that I'd really have convince myself it was anything at all. So I left it alone until I decided to sell the lens. I wanted to be able to say the lens was perfect so I sent it back to Canon since it was less than a year old and the cleaned it out.

If I were you I'd send it in and not exchange it. When you send it back to Canon a skilled tech will calibrate the lens also. Every time I've sent a lens in for service it has come back seemingly sharper.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Keith, what did that service run cost you for the cleaning and calibration? I'm more interested in the calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

[Keith, what did that service run cost you for the cleaning and calibration? I'm more interested in the calibration.

Alan

It was free because it was still under warranty. I don't know what they would charge for a lens that is more than a year old.