Thread: Extender III Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Extender III Review

Bryan

Re: Extender III Review

The 1.4x III looks noticeably sharper in the center, but looks noticeably less sharp in the mid-frame and corners. So, overall it seems to be a wash. Based on one quick look, not worth the extra $. The 2x III also does not seem like a big improvement (in fact, contrast seemsnoticeably lower than the 2x II). So much for the idea (not mine, but proposed in other posts) that the 2x III + 70-200 II would magically be a perfect 140-400mm f/5.6 IS zoom lens...

Your right I took a look again, the 1.4x III is a little sharper in the center. This might be a little improvement in that the long Tele

Those extenders have gotten so expensive it

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    adding gear so that you can make your work better is like pulling teeth.

Doesn't the way your gear looks improve your photos? The new MkII supertele primes will have, "A highly durable white leather-tone coating ... This is a new, more neutral shade of white compared to earlier lenses. It is intended to indicate that the IS II lenses have evolved..." The white paint on the new MkIII extenders matches the paint on the new supertele primes. Do you really expect people to use an extender with that old, outdated white paint when they can pay $200 more for almost equivalent optical performance, but get a paint that matches their new lens?

[:P] [:P] [:P]

Camera anything is absurdly expensive but I guess that's what kind of makes it an exclusive club. When camera gear prices come down and IQ still goes up everybody thinks they can start shooting professionally. I just have to remember that the best photographs come from the photographer and not their gear.

Ok, the first lens to review didn't look like much of an improvement.

But the new charts for the 300mm F2.8 L....even the 2x III is looking alot better, this is making it a lot more attractive

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=249&Camera=453&Sample=0&am p;FLI=3&API=1&LensComp=249&CameraComp= 453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=0

Interesting to see the difference. I certainly appreciate being able to assess these sort of things in advance. I