Thread: Kirk Window Mount---outstanding piece of equipment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kirk Window Mount---outstanding piece of equipment

Many of the places I go to photograph wildlife and scenics don't always permit you getting out of your vehicle; or animals come up on you quickly and you don't have time to exit your vehicle for the shot. In these cases I have been shooting from my truck window with the camera resting on my arm, a bean bag or a coat over the edge of the truck door to rest the camera on. So, A couple of months ago I went shopping for a window/door mount that I could attach to my truck door. I found this: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Kirk_Window_Mount.html . It looked like the exact solution to my problem, so I put it on my christmas list and Santa delivered (early of course).

All I can say is "WOW" This is a well designed, sturdy, high quality piece of equipment. It is easily adjustable to almost any car door or window and it can also be used as a low profile floor mount you can use to shoot off of the ground or the hood of your vehicle. I took it out today for a test run and was nothing less than impressed. Very comfortable, very sturdy, fit my truck like a charm and carried the weight of a 500L/7d combo without any problem.

As you can see from the link, you have to provide your own ball head or gimbal mount for it. Not wanting to remove the gimbal from my tripod, I chose to use my old manfrotto ballhead on it. I also attached the manfrotto quick release plate on to the end of the Kirk foot I have on my lens and it still has room on the foot to attach to to my gimbal/sidekick---so I don't have to fuss with changing out plates.

In summary----Very nice piece of equipment and well worth the cost if you shoot a lot from a car/truck window.
    Bob

Pretty cool looking mount...

I was wonder about these, it looked like it would work for me a couple shooting situations I find myself in. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I am sure you already know, but keep in mind... you still need to turn off your car/truck before shooting. Otherwise your shoots are going to be blurred from the car vibrations. It is really bad trying to get a quick shot off with my diesel truck still running - even when the lens is not resting on any part of the truck.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr