Thread: One time good deal---Or Is It?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One time good deal---Or Is It?

I have a friend of a friend...etc who has informed me of an estate sale of a local photographer and though the deal sounds good, I really don't have a specific need for the equipment, but am thinking "at this price" I could find a need for it---so, for a mere $200.00 I could get this:

2 sunpak 300 watt strobes (monolights)----with case and cables----I know thier cheap, old, but they still work
    2 black 48" umbrellas (non shoot-through)
    2 White 48" umbrellas
    2 stands with case
    2 36 in reflectors (silver/gold)
    1 Burnt orange textured muslin 8ft back drop
    1 White 10x24 backdrop

All of this equipment is probably well used.

Now, my dilemma---Theses strobes are certainly not something I would by new, But I have often wanted to practice with mono lights and thought these might be worth a try for that purpose.----Keep in mind, I already have 6 speedlights. The stands I can always use, the reflectors could be useful for certain situations, and I have no clue what I would do with those backdrops.

So, given this opportunity, would you go for it---Remember it's an all or nothing deal

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

It is only a good deal if you would use it, or re sell it Bob. Otherwise it is something to collect dust.

For me it wouldn't be worth it, the items I would use on the list I could get for less than $200. Maybe if you add up what you would really use out of the lot, and it goes well over $200 it would be worth it to you. Could you make use of the strobes for your hummers?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    It is only a good deal if you would use it, or re sell it Bob. Otherwise it is something to collect dust.

For me it wouldn't be worth it, the items I would use on the list I could get for less than $200. Maybe if you add up what you would really use out of the lot, and it goes well over $200 it would be worth it to you. Could you make use of the strobes for your hummers?
    HD, Im kinda of thinking the same thing---As far as strobes with my hummers----Well, I am going to demonstrate my ignorance with my next statement.

As I understand it and based on guide number---a Canon 580 exII puts out about the same flash power as a 400 Watt monolight and a 430 exII puts out the same flash power as a 300 watt monolight----Plus, the speedlights have much faster flash duration options. Considering this I am better off sticking with my speed lights. So, no, These monolights probably would not really serve my purposes with H-birds.

What I want is a 1000 watt light I can reduce down to 1/30,000 of a second ----any ideas ,

As you said, the more I think about this, the less interesting it is.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    HD, Im kinda of thinking the same thing---As far as strobes with my hummers----Well, I am going to demonstrate my ignorance with my next statement.

As I understand it and based on guide number---a Canon 580 exII puts out about the same flash power as a 400 Watt monolight and a 430 exII puts out the same flash power as a 300 watt monolight----Plus, the speedlights have much faster flash duration options. Considering this I am better off sticking with my speed lights. So, no, These monolights probably would not really serve my purposes with H-birds.

What I want is a 1000 watt light I can reduce down to 1/30,000 of a second ----any ideas ,

As you said, the more I think about this, the less interesting it is.

Thanks,

Bob
    This could be what you're after .... but it's pricey ... http://www.highspeedflash.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    This could be what you're after .... but it's pricey ... http://www.highspeedflash.com/
    Thanks for the Tip Joel---But I am quite sure that I would a hard time convincing Norma that a $3,100 flash unit was critical for my kit.

Cool Idea though, I have often thought about buying on of those trigger kits so I could catch a bullet going through a watermelon.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Thanks for the Tip Joel---But I am quite sure that I would a hard time convincing Norma that a $3,100 flash unit was critical for my kit.
    Cool Idea though, I have often thought about buying on of those trigger kits so I could catch a bullet going through a watermelon.
    You could probably do that with your existing flashes, the trigger systems aren't too crazy in price...and they have multiple uses

http://www.cognisys-inc.com/Technica...ical_specs.php

(Norma might not mind this level of expenditure)

I tried looking the strobes to see if any one was selling them. No luck, but some reviews that said the were good "cheap" strobes.

My first thought was they were to small as well. I have had my eye on some others, and for me I know I would buy these and they would push me in to buying what I really want.

I am an expert on this Bob, buying good deals that I really don't need. Most of the time the stuff is just added to the collection in the garage.

I have to agree that it is only a deal if you can use it. Reselling older equipment can be a bit of a gamble on price or a long wait. On the other hand, if that white backdrop was a good quality canvas you might be able to recut it and make a sail out of it which could then be sold for so much more.

Looking in my own garage I see many of my brilliant ideas under a layer of dust waiting to be realized.

If you really think you could use enough of it, it would be a good buy. If not, it likely would be best to pass on buying the lot.

Thanks all, I keep looking at this list and wondering "why"---So with that, I am going to pass and wait for the "next-time" good deal.

Thanks for the wizdom.

Bob
    Bob