Thread: Still working for free

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Still working for free

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 7.5pt;"]These shots were taken for the neighbor and I would appreciate any feedback+/-. I don&rsquo;t mind doing work for the experience but at some point I need to be able to start paying for this passion of mine.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.40/IMG_5F00_2827.jpg[/img]

Canon 5D MKII, 24-105 lens, f6.3, 1/25 shutter speed, ISO 320 focal length 105mm, no flash

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.40/IMG_5F00_2864.jpg[/img]

Canon 5D MKII, 24-105mm lens, f13, 1/125 shutter speed, focal length 105mm, with flash

Thanks

David

Re: Still working for free

I like the first shot best. The second shot looks underexposed and there is the distracting pole behind the boy's head. Why did you shoot at f13?

Quote Originally Posted by EdN
    I like the first shot best.

Agreed. Nice, fun pose in number 1. Good focus and DOF change with the leaves make this an attention grabbing shot. The second doesn't really do anything for me. Seems more like a snap shot than a portrait asyou cannot see what he is doing witheither hand or his feet. From what I understand, traditional 3/4 shots are done from mid thigh up rather than mid shin. If it were me, and I was taking shots ofa kid playing on a Jungle gym which I imagine is what he is on, I would try to get full body shots of him that include a little ofthe structure to cluethe viewer in on where he is, or his age and playful nature.

Keep in mind that I am not a professional and this is my humble opinion/two cents. Good luck, and keepcranking them out. Youdefinitely have the tools to make it happen. (If onlyI could afford a 5dmkII.)

Regards,

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I like the color in the first image, but the nearly-centered composition and "looking down on the subject" viewing angle is not to my taste. Have you considered a tighter crop? Rule of thirds perhaps? I also suggest trying to get down to the subject's level for a more pleasing angle.

And of course, I'll have to note that the lighting on the second image isn't very natural-looking either. When it comes to onboard flash, my general rule is "no." The reason is simple--how often do you view the world with a bright light emanating from your forehead?

Might I suggest off-camera lighting in a situation such as that? I don't have many pictures of kids, but here's a few:

The above three pictures were shot using an off-camera flash. The picture below was ambient only, however, there was a very large window camera-right providing the large, soft light source highlighting her face.

Sean I know how youfeel. BTW, very nice images, don't lose sight or hope, it will eventually pay off.

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams