Thread: Studio Monitor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Studio Monitor

I am in the process of setting up a studio monitor.
    My intention is to have shots display on a larger monitor for real time review.
    My thought is a 32' flat screen vs computer monitor.

I an interested in ways that this can be accomplished.
    Software, hardware, cables, etc.

Thank you.

What camera are you using. Many modern ones have mini HDMI and can plug straight into any modern TV or PC monitor.

Here's an example with a 7D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzsaux-uF9Y

Keep Monoprice.com in mind for any cables and adapters you might need (Typically 10X - 20X cheaper than Canadian retail... not sure how they compare in the US)
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Several years ago, a guest post on Strobist talked about using a 7" portable DVD player and its video input as a super-portable "big screen" for on-site client review. I then started taking a 32" TV to camera classes that I'd teach; I'd use the LCD projector for my powerpoint lecture, and the 32" TV as a really big back-of-camera review screen. Color balance was usually off, but the ability to see as a group what was shot was very powerful. I just used the camera's included 1/8" to RCA video-out cable, a female/RCA to female/RCA coupler, and a 12' long "audio/video patch cable" from Radio Shack to the TV. Super-simple, worked like a charm.

Does the camera display (either HDMI or on camera) the JPEG or the RAW if shooting both.
    What is displayed if just shooting RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Does the camera display (either HDMI or on camera) the JPEG or the RAW if shooting both.
    What is displayed if just shooting RAW?
    Every RAW contains an embedded JPEG, which is what you see when you review an image on the LCD screen and what the camera uses to calculate the histogram.

If the computer has an HDMI output just connect it to your computer and mirror your display!
    Owner of Deevers Photography. If you have some time, visit my website at deeversphoto.com.

I am using a 25 ft HDMI cord and there is about a 2-3 second delay on the external display
    Can this be decreased with a shorter cord?
    Also can I keep the camera monitor on at the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    I am using a 25 ft HDMI cord and there is about a 2-3 second delay on the external display
    Can this be decreased with a shorter cord?
    The signal is traveling through your cable at close to the speed of light (depending on the cable, at worst it would be 1/2 the speed of light). The lag is more likely the processing of the signal at either end of cable (camera or monitor).

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

I measured the delay in the display and it is closer to 4 seconds.
    This is a deal breaker for studio use.