Thread: Hyperfocal Distance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hyperfocal Distance

Does anyone know how to set/determine a hyperfocal distance when photographing a big space with a lot of depth. The lens and camera I will be using is the 16-35 on a 1Ds III. I have been trying to set the lens, but I must be doing something (or I plainly do not know what I am doing). Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Hyperfocal Distance

Hi, have you tried an online calculator like http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html?

For "out in the field" there are DoF calculators for the iPhone/iPod touch (don't know about other smart phones).

Regards, Colin

You should determine the hyperfocal distance using a DOF calculator, of which there are plenty of free website-based ones. Hyperfocal distance depends on the sensor size, focal length, and aperture chosen. For example, a 1Ds3 at 16mm f/2.8 has a hyperfocal distance of 9.95 feet according to the website I used.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I use the DOF master application on my iphone and it's great. Handy little tool if you ask me.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thank you for these tools. DOF master does take a lot of guess work out. My next question is how to set the lens for hyperfocal. Is it as simple as just lining up the infinity make on the scale on the lens (16-35)?

You should line up the focus mark with the hyperfocal distance you've found.

For the sake of asking, any reason you aren't using autofocus on such a fine camera and lens?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Tree
    My next question is how to set the lens for hyperfocal.

You should be able to just tell the camera "focus on the hyperfocal distance", but there is no such functionality. You have to calculate it, then focus manually to that distance.

Hyperfocal distance is F + (F^2)/fc where F is focal length, f is f number, and c is the diameter of the circle of confusion. The camera knows all of these quantities, so it could do it for you. Maybe the problem is that in real life, the circle of confusion depends on what the photographer wants in a particular situation. But then, if there is confusion about the circle of confusion, how do DOF calculators work? (I just looked at DOF master: it seems to assume the cof is about sensor size / 1200, which may be some kind of standard, but seems a little crazy to me)

Some of my technical friends who don't actually take pictures are surprised to learn that canon DSLRS don't have functions to do things like focus on the hyperfocal distance, focus bracket (that I know of), achieve a specified DOF, etc etc.

What if, instead of calculatingthe hyperfocal distance, you could liveit? Imagine if you couldshrink down, jump into the camera itself, and then fly all around the scene imaged by the lens, checking for yourself exactly where the focal plane was and reviewing critical sharpness for yourself at each and every distance?

You can. With liveview. Just zoom in 10X and slowly rack the focus inward until the background is about to go out of focus. Boom, you're done. Takes less time than even pulling the hyperfocal distance charts out of your pack (or pulling them up on your handheld computer).

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    What if, instead of calculatingthe hyperfocal distance, you could liveit?

I'm with you... that's what I always do (I've never calculated a hyperfocal distance in my life).

Some people, though, find the shrinking down process nervwraking.