Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying advice for a camera system

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Buying advice for a camera system

Aloha Camera People,
    I have around $10,000 to spend on camera equipment. I want to shoot stills and video. I currently use a Canon GL1 and a Canon REBEL XT w/
    18-55 3.5-5.6 zoom and a 55-200 4.5-5.6 zoom. I don't own a personal camera and buy on buying a 5Dlll and the 15-35 L 2.8 zoom and the 28-300 L zoom(I can wait for an update on this lens) Any other suggestions. I want to buy a tripod, monopod, a viewfinder, camera bag, lens filters, card reader, camera rig, and a camera mounted mic. I have FCP 7. Any suggestions.
    Mahalo,
    Newbie808

p.s. I already purchased sandisk cards

Is there any particular reason you want the 28-300? Are you going travelling when you can only take one or two lenses, or to dusty places you can't change lenses easily? Or do you just want that much of a range available in one video take for zooming in?
    If none of these, then for the money you're probably better off with a combo like the 24-105 or 24-70 plus the 70-300L, but that said the 28-300 is still a decent lens, except for the barrel distortion at 28mm and the fact that it's fairly old (i've not heard any rumours of updates for this one, II might never come).

the 16-35 is a good lens, widest zoom canon makes, good choice if you can afford it.
    tripod i'll presume you want more of a video tripod so i can't help you on that one...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Is there any particular reason you want the 28-300? Are you going travelling when you can only take one or two lenses, or to dusty places you can't change lenses easily? Or do you just want that much of a range available in one video take for zooming in?
    If none of these, then for the money you're probably better off with a combo like the 24-105 or 24-70 plus the 70-300L, but that said the 28-300 is still a decent lens, except for the barrel distortion at 28mm and the fact that it's fairly old (i've not heard any rumours of updates for this one, II might never come).

the 16-35 is a good lens, widest zoom canon makes, good choice if you can afford it.
    tripod i'll presume you want more of a video tripod so i can't help you on that one...
    Dr. C,
    Thanks for replying. It's like you read my mind. I will be traveling to different cities so I want to bring just two lenses. I've read the reviews on the 28-300 and admit it's a slow lens, but not much heavier than the 70-200. Also, the two lens cover a wider range. I can wait on an updated 28-300 lens. My cousin's husband has a 70-200 L II and loves it. I guess I don't want to miss any shots changing lens.
    Newbie808

tele zoom

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie808 View Post
    Dr. C,
    Thanks for replying. It's like you read my mind. I will be traveling to different cities so I want to bring just two lenses. I've read the reviews on the 28-300 and admit it's a slow lens, but not much heavier than the 70-200. Also, the two lens cover a wider range. I can wait on an updated 28-300 lens. My cousin's husband has a 70-200 L II and loves it. I guess I don't want to miss any shots changing lens.
    Newbie808
    @ Newbie 808: what is more important for you, the wide angle to normal range or the tele range? If you shoot more tele (I love it even in street photog) then why don't you check out Canon's new EF 100-300/f.5-5.6? I do not have it because I prefer then my 70-200/2.8 II plus a compact 300/4 but according to many reviews (including the one in this site) I read this zoom offers quite an attractive trade-off between very good optical quality, versatility, fast USM AF drive, light weight and compact size. Like every late generation L lens it is fully weather and dust sealed, too. Actually I'd think about getting it for lightweight package if I hadn't for this purpose already the nice handy 70-200/4 IS.

Then you'd only need to fill in the sub 100 mm range with another zoom.

I'd suggest you look at some faster lenses too... the 28-300 looks like a nice lens to use when you absolutely don't want to swap, but it is relatively slow. Lots of people on the forum love the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but it's way too rich for my blood

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I'd suggest you look at some faster lenses too... the 28-300 looks like a nice lens to use when you absolutely don't want to swap, but it is relatively slow. Lots of people on the forum love the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, but it's way too rich for my blood

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for replying. I'm hoping the incredible ISO on the 5Dlll will make the slow lens mute. I've heard great things of that 70-200 lens too. The 28-300 was made in 2009 and hopefully will be refreshed in a year or less. I've waited so long for the 5dlll and i have a 55-200 I can use (school's) in the mean time.
    Newbie808.
    p.s any backpacks you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie808 View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for replying. I'm hoping the incredible ISO on the 5Dlll will make the slow lens mute. I've heard great things of that 70-200 lens too. The 28-300 was made in 2009 and hopefully will be refreshed in a year or less. I've waited so long for the 5dlll and i have a 55-200 I can use (school's) in the mean time.
    Newbie808.
    p.s any backpacks you recommend?
    High ISO will help you get the shot... but won't give you the background separation that many great photos have.

I really like the attached photo at f/2, it has background separation you just can't get with slower lenses.

2012_05_06_4669 by dthrog00, on Flickr

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Throgmartin; 05-11-2012 at 12:54 AM.

28-300 would be a bad choice. The, best of the best zoom is the 70-200mm f/2.8L II, I would suggest it.

Instead of the 16-35mm II, wait for the new 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, scheduled for release in June.

With those lenses and the 5D III you will have spent around 8K and have 2 left for accessories. You will have the most common ranges from 24-200mm and have an excellent kit, it doesn't get much better.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    28-300 would be a bad choice. The, best of the best zoom is the 70-200mm f/2.8L II, I would suggest it.

Instead of the 16-35mm II, wait for the new 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, scheduled for release in June.

With those lenses and the 5D III you will have spent around 8K and have 2 left for accessories. You will have the most common ranges from 24-200mm and have an excellent kit, it doesn't get much better.
    Aloha HDNitehawk,
    Thanks for your info. Wow, I didn't realize that $10K doesn't go very far in camera land. Man, those two combos sound good, but want that wide angle for video shooting. Much to ponder on...
    Newbie808

Newbie808,

You mention waiting for an update to the 28-300L, I just wanted to point out that could be a very long (years and years) wait. My suggestion would be to base your decision on what is currently available. One very good thing about lenses is that they hold ~70-80% of their value. So you should be able to buy what is currently available, use it for awhile and then resell them for a ~20-30% "rental rate" when a new lens that you want is released.

Regarding the ultrawide, just keep in mind that 24 mm on a FF is ~84 degrees diagonal angle of view and 16 mm is ~108 degrees. I picked up the EFS 10-22 in February, which is the same angle of view on my 7D, and honestly, I haven't found too many uses for it yet. I just haven't yet found too many subjects that I shoot where that extra 24 degrees is needed or doesn't cause distortion. Granted, if your mahalo means you are on one of the Hawaiian Islands, first off, very jealous, and second, you may have some great landscapes where maybe you would use it. And, of course, I am sure there are photographers whose subjects are almost entirely in the "ultrawide" range.

If I were you, I'd probably do something like this:
    5DIII kit with the 24-105 f/4 ($4,200)....new body, very nice general purpose lens
    70-200 f/2.8 II ($2,200...$6,400 total)....widely considered one of the best zoom lenses made, very useful range on FF
    16-35 f/2.8 ($1,500, $7,900 total).....as you asked for it. If interested in birds/dolphins/etc, personally I'd substitute in the 100-400L.
    Tripod with good ball head (~$700....$8,600)
    Good bag/backpack (or two) (~$200-$500....~$9,000 total)
    Then $1,000 for a good prime lens (35 mm L?), macro lens (100 mm L?), graduated/ND filters, or other misc gear (extra batteries).

While you were talking about a two lens kit, this would give you more option. Then, when needed, you could take the two lenses that are best suited for your use. I typically travel with my 15-85 and 100-400.

Good luck,
    Brant
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 05-10-2012 at 11:47 AM.