Thread: canon 24-70L vs 28-70L

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

canon 24-70L vs 28-70L

For those that have tried both lenses, is the 24-70L really worth @ $400 more than the older 28-70L? On a full frame body, the difference on the wide end doesn't seem to be much. Thoughts? Thanks.

Re: canon 24-70L vs 28-70L

Completely worth it? It matters who you're talking to and what they are shooting. In my shooting experience, there have many instances where I have been glad I chose the 24-70 L over the older 28-70 L. I shoot mainly events, portraits and sports on a 40D, and the extra 4mm gained at the wide end is, for crop users at least, a big deal in my opinion. Currently I don't use any lens wider than 24mm, so the 28-70 would have certainly set me in need-to-get-an-ultrawide territory. I find 24mm just wide enough for medium/large group shots, if I have the space to step back of course. Which is another thing about this lens - It's "just" wide enough on a crop body in my opinion. Luckily I haven't been stuck trying to squeeze an extra large group shot in to a 24mm frame on a 1.6x FOVCF body. I certainly hope that time does not come![]

But on full-frame, I find 24mm to be a great focal length. I have tried this lens on a 5D and 5D Mark II and for me, 24mm is wide enough for environmental portraits, group portraits and landscape images. I'm assuming that the noticeable perspective difference between 24mm and 28mm is less on a full-frame body, so you may be correct.

Also note that the 24-70 L is weather-sealed, and the 28-70 L is not. For me, weather-sealing is more of a security blanket than anything else. But I'm sure I'll find it handy sometime.

I have a 28-70/2.8L, and it is an amazing lens. But the 24-70 is slightly better. (Although I believe the 28-70 handles flare better.) The 28-70/2.8L is a great value for the price.

I love my 28-70 f2.8L. I can't compare. Never had the 24-70 version. I do however have the 17-35 f2.8L and love that lens as well. I use them both on a 5D. When Canon discontinues the 70-200 f2.8L, I'll have a full discontinued set. I'll feel so nostalgic!! []

Just think about all the award winning shots taken with these fine lenses. What a value!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

I love my 28-70 f2.8L. I can't compare. Never had the 24-70 version. I do however have the 17-35 f2.8L and love that lens as well. I use them both on a 5D. When Canon discontinues the 70-200 f2.8L, I'll have a full discontinued set. I'll feel so nostalgic!! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Just think about all the award winning shots taken with these fine lenses. What a value!!

I like to read about the equipment photographers use for certain shots. It is great when you read that they used an out of the ordinary camera or lens due to the characteristics it has, what ever it may be. I guess these days it is about perfection out of the camera and add character in post.

not weather sealed huh? Good to know. What are some other differences than the obvious focal length? Auto focus? Color/sat etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I like to read about the equipment photographers use for certain shots.

Like Annie Leibovitz using 3 to 5 different cameras during a shoot. It's cool. I wish I had that much time and equipment to devote.

Here is a good comparison;http://www.fredmiranda.com/24-70/

Quote Originally Posted by nickds7

Here is a good comparison;[url="http://www.fredmiranda.com/24-70/]http://www.fredmiranda.com/24-70/[/url]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for this link. Very useful and was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the 28-70 I saw for sale sold today before I could grab it. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I like to read about the equipment photographers use for certain shots.

Like Annie Leibovitz using 3 to 5 different cameras during a shoot. It's cool. I wish I had that much time and equipment to devote.

<div>

Annie does live the charmed life. I know she uses 1Ds III for quite a bit. I also see her shoot with Hasselblads. I read where she actually prefers the 1DsIII due to it lightness/mobility and ISO performance. Usually when I see footage of her shooting, she is using the 1Ds and the 24-70 lens.
    </div>