Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 10-22 vs Sigma 10-20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon 10-22 vs Sigma 10-20

A friend of mine needs a lens for hotel room photography. He needs something wide, but with very little distortion. I recommended the Canon 10-22, but I wanted to double check with all of you.

Which lens would you get?

canon 10-22

sigma 10-20

tokina's?

also keep in mind he will most likely be using a crop body. Can't afford the FF cameras.

Thanks

Re: Canon 10-22 vs Sigma 10-20

I think this one really comes down to what you want to spend. I have the Canon 10-22 and I love it. That lens produces some amazing shots. Even without it having IS I've taken some really amazing shots at 1.5 and 2 second exposures (semi-hand held... i.e. no tri or mono pod, but good arm bracing).

I've been really impressed by the Canon 10-22. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    A friend of mine needs a lens for hotel room photography.

Another option is stitching ("pano"): take multiple frames with any old lens, then stitch them with automatic stitching software. Usually more work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

Another option is stitching ("pano"): take multiple frames with any old lens, then stitch them with automatic stitching software. Usually more work, though.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I wouldn't suggest stitching. I've put a toe in the water, and thought the initial results looked great--until I started really looking at the image and finding out that things that were supposed to connect simply didn't. There's alot of odd things that can happen when stitching, and I think a short working distance increases the distortion issues (where things don't line up) significantly. If your friend decides to stitch panoramic views of the rooms, make sure he researches, practices, and then pays close attention to the final images.

I am able to do stitching decently, and that's with some photoshop training. He has no photoshop training and will have to learn. I think I'm going to avoid suggesting stitching to him for now.

Is the 10-22 worth paying double a Tokina? What are it's advantages over it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozen
    I recommended the Canon 10-22, but I wanted to double check with all of you.

I originally ordered the Sigma 10-20 (the older version 4-5.6) but I got a horrible copy image-quality-wise. I returned it and got the Canon and I've been happy ever since.

Several folks like the wide Sigmas and Sigma does have a nice new constant 3.5 version. You just have to make sure you get a good copy, given that their quality of service seems to suck big time. I also have to admit that the Sigma did feel a bit more solid than the Canon, especially the zoom and focus rings.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Sean Setters[/b]]Unless you know exactly what you're doing, I wouldn't suggest
    stitching. I've put a toe in the water, and thought the initial
    results looked great--until I started really looking at the image and
    finding out that things that were supposed to connect simply didn't.
    There's alot of odd things that can happen when stitching, and I think
    a short working distance increases the distortion issues (where things
    don't line up) significantly. If your friend decides to stitch
    panoramic views of the rooms, make sure he researches, practices, and
    then pays close attention to the final images.

I agree with Sean here. Stitching is hit and miss. Sometimes it works nicely, sometimes it doesn't. I recently got a series of shots in Santorini, when rolling clouds were moving over the volcano. Stitching them turned out a disaster given that the clouds were moving fast and the edges between shots were sufficiently different and created obvious stitching lines...

Tony

Hello Cozen,

We have been using a Sigma 10-20mm 1:4-5:6 DC HSM for nearly 3 years now and have had no issues to date. The optical quality is superb for our purposes. We have used this lens for in &amp; outdoor architectural work shooting Hotels, Taverns, Government buildings, Homes and some landscape.

A word of caution though, when using a flash, either take off the hood or use an off camera flash system. I took extensive cave shots with this lens and had the hood on (wanted to utilize the hood as protetion from dripping water on the front of the lens) OOPPPS, bad idea. Good thing they were personal images and not for a client.

Hope this sheds some insight on the choice....

Be safe and happy shooting...

I have a mint condition sigma 4-5.6 that I will not be using anymore. It is in PERFECT PERFECT PERFECTshape with original box, lens hood, Tiffen UV filter and padded lens case. I have a 5D Mark II now and a 16-35mm II lens so it will probably never see the light of day again. Bought it new from amazon. I'll sell it with shipping within the US for 320.00 if interested. Email bthornhill@freelanceshots.com

One of the people that shoots with a 30D at the newspaper where I worked got the 10-22mm canon lens where I compared the two side by side for feel and image quality. Image quality was almost identical where I thought the sigma had a very slight advantage for my taste. As far as feel and what I can only refer to as build quality the sigma wins hands down. I know the canon is made well but it has a real plastic feel and the zoom and focus ring feel really loose and not what you would expect for it price. Also as I can remember you will also need to buy the lens hood and that cost 40-50 bucks. The sigma feels more like an L series lens when zooming and focusing where this was the biggest selling point for me alone. When it came to buying either of these lenses it came down to the end number where I paid 470 instead of the 700 plus for the canon.

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots

I have a mint condition sigma 4-5.6 that I will not be using anymore. It is in PERFECT PERFECT PERFECTshape with original box, lens hood, Tiffen UV filter and padded lens case. I have a 5D Mark II now and a 16-35mm II lens so it will probably never see the light of day again. Bought it new from amazon. I'll sell it with shipping within the US for 320.00 if interested. Email bthornhill@freelanceshots.com

One of the people that shoots with a 30D at the newspaper where I worked got the 10-22mm canon lens where I compared the two side by side for feel and image quality. Image quality was almost identical where I thought the sigma had a very slight advantage for my taste. As far as feel and what I can only refer to as build quality the sigma wins hands down. I know the canon is made well but it has a real plastic feel and the zoom and focus ring feel really loose and not what you would expect for it price. Also as I can remember you will also need to buy the lens hood and that cost 40-50 bucks. The sigma feels more like an L series lens when zooming and focusing where this was the biggest selling point for me alone. When it came to buying either of these lenses it came down to the end number where I paid 470 instead of the 700 plus for the canon.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have considered this sigma lens, and have heard some good things about it, but I also hear you can get a good copy and a really bad copy. Do you have any pictures you can post that you took with this lens? Thanks.