Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting a B-Ball Game tomorrow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shooting a B-Ball Game tomorrow

Hey all,

I have the opportunity to get a few shots courtside at a local College Basketball game. I think I am set on taking the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 F4 but I am wondering, should I take the 50D with its 6.3 fps or take the 5D mk II with its better low light performance. It is an indoor venue, and I have never shot in that light before, but something tells me it is going to be relatively low light. I don't really have the ability to take both bodies, which is what I would think is the best answer.

What would you all do?

Dave.

Personally, if you are anticipating poor lighting conditions, like in most gyms, even college, I'd sacrifice the 2.4 FPS you'll lose and go with the 5DII. While I've never used a 5DII I've heard/read if you stick to the centre AF point it's not too bad. Further, it's safe to assume that the 5DII kicks the 50D's butt when it comes to noise at 3200 ISO. Because, chances are that's likely where you'll have to be shooting, 3200 IS, with the 24-70 wide open at 2.8. Well that is if you want to get decent exposures with a high enough shutter speed to stop motion (1/500-1/1000 depending). You can try the 70-200 F4, but unless the gym is very well lit, you'll need the extra stop of light from the 24-70. To put this into context there are no shortage of photogs who choose to strobe college BB due to the poor lighting in their venues.

I am thinking a strobe gets you kicked off the floor.

Any chance of a local photo club notice asking to borrow/rent the 2.8 70-200? And a 7d for that matter?

Happy clicks
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Hi, I haven't done too much indoor sports shooting (besides hockey that I shoot frequently). However, I had a quick look through the photos from a few indoor games i visited (some handball and indoor soccer games). I have shots from three different indoor venues that I judge to be "averagely lit" and the exposure settings don't vary much - they're in the range ISO1600 - f/2.2 - 1/500 (EV 7.3) to ISO3200 - f/2.2 - 1/500 (EV 6.3). (I use EF85/1.8 that's great for this type of shooting.)

If your venue is similarly lit, the 70-200/4 wouldn't be very good for stopping action. However, I think you should bring it (unless you can get hands on a 70-200/2.8) - e.g. you can use it at longer shutter time both for tight player portraits (when they're yelling at the referee) and for panning shots. I would say it's worth to give it a try in the 3:d quarter. (Make sure to get som decent action shots during the first half, then you can experiment with the 70-200/4. If you like it - keep doing it, if you don't - switch back to the 24-70/2.8.)

Then your question which body to bring. My first answer would be to bring both - it would give you the option to use both lenses without switching and to choose the best option once you have taken your place in the venue. But since you don't seem to be able to bring both, I would say go for the 5DII. The reason is that I see a risk you may end up at ISO6400 and then the 50D noise would probably be too bad. This also depends on your focal length/AOV needs/requirements. The 24-70 on the 5D is wide/normal and you may want to get closer to the action.

Good luck!

You'll enjoy this experience Dave....I did a Div 1 hockey game (press pass) a couple of years ago and wore myself out running around the rink getting shots. I used a 7D (and 40D w/17-55 IS 2.8), rented 70-200 IS f/2.8 version 1 and got some great shots w/this combo....plenty of light.

Thought; I was able to get into a practice to test this equipment to make sure there was enough light for the 2.8. Do you think you might be able to do the same w/the B-ball practice?

I shot a friend's daughter's last HS volleyball match a few years ago w/the combo 40D and EF-S 17-85 IS f/4-5.6....I really had to crank up the ISO to get the shutter speed up to capture the action. I came away w/some really grainy memory shots. My friends and their daughter were happy w/the results....I wasn't, but that was my equipment at the time.

Also, I've shot my niece at swim meets w/the 7D, 70-200 version II....HS pool w/poor lighting. Again decent grainy memory shots, but I wasn't satisfied w/the results.

My thoughts/suggestions; I don't machine gun my shots, i.e. seldom going over 4/5 fps. With that in mind, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 5DMKll. I don't have personal experience w/the 5DMKll's AF in these venues, but I would think it would suffice. I would rent a lens though; at least a 70-200 IS f/2.8 or even the 200 2.0....the 2.8 was too slow in the pool environment. I found 200mm on the 70-200 to be perfect at the rink and pool (i.e. long shots of the starting blocks and isolating my niece's turns).

Good luck Dave, having close up access like this is a great experience.

Regards,
    Bill

Well,

you all have convinced me to take the 5D. Unfortunately, I was told I could shoot this too close to the event time, so renting is out of the question. I do have an 85 1.8 though. I will bring that along as well, assuming I can squeeze it into my bag somewhere. It may end up being my saving grace (speedwise) though the fixed focal length will limit my framing ability.

Wish me luck, Ill post my favorites probably tomorrow morning sometime.

Dave.

Dave,

I recently tried a couple high school games and often shot between f/2.2 and f/2.8 at 1/500 second and ISO was typically around 1600. I would guess the 85 f/1.8 would be the best option among what you've listed. The 70-200 f/4 could be good when the players aren't moving around as quickly, but you may be forced to really crank up the ISO to 3200 or so for action shots.

Dave

From years of experience the zoom is really nice on 70-200
    BUT
    4.0 is definitely too slow for the low light in most gyms realizing you need a speed of at least 1/100 and 1/250 if you want to freeze a ball in flight.
    the 70-200 2.8 is much much better but really not fast enough.

My best shots are from a 135 2.0 prime and using a foot zoom.
    Better yet get court side and walk around and use a 50 1.4 or 24 1.8 (never use flash)
    You need a fast lens to shot indoors and a fast shutter speed.
    This is really difficult: low light and fast moving objects
    good luck.
    position yourself on the wall close to the basket and change ends periodically.
    watch your background but with the fast lens you also get the blur

I did it! Started out with the 70-200 and couldn't do it with the noise. So I switched to the 85 1.8 and never looked back thanks for your input all. Here are a few of my favorites.

Untitled by johnstondox, on Flickr

Thanks again,

Dave.

Wow --- those are brilliant. You must be thrilled with the results. Thanks for sharing your experience -- it's great to see how well it worked out.