Thread: Anyone has this filter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone has this filter?

http://www.adorama.com/HY67CPLSM.html?searchinfo=hoya+super+hmc+polarizer +filter

I am thinking of getting this one. Any htoughts or feedback? Or better recommendation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Anyone has this filter?

I use the Hoya Pro1D Circular PL and have no issues. I have always used Hoya and found thier quality to be exceptional.

I own the 77mm version of this one, and have never had problems with it. I would not recommend the one you are considering, because it is an extra-thin one, you only need extra thin ones on ultra-wides, and it would not benefit you on your 17-85 IS or 70-200/4 IS. The extra-thin ones would be good for lenses such as the 10-22mm, but the 67mm filter won;'t work on that lens anyway. Also, circular polarizing filters have no advantage over linear ones except in theory*, the linear ones are actually more effective and cheaper.

*C-PL filters have no polarizing effect in the center. When AF and in-camera metering were introduced it was thought that for those systems to work properly the filter could not be polarized in the center (where the AF point and metering system were located), since polarizers change the light. However, modern cameras have AF points throughout the frame and multi-segment metering also throughout the frame, so any advantage that C-PL filters theoretically have is lost anyway because of camera capabilities.

Do you have any lenses which have bigger diameter or do you plan on getting any of them?

You can buy the largest filter size required according to your line up and use downsize rings to match each size. If you're looking at a Hoya Pro1D. Do check out the new Hoya HD filters. The new HD hardened filters are much stronger than normal and the CPL is tend to cost less F stops - which most time is a good thing.

btw, which lens are you going to use you filter on? A thin filter only shines on wide angle lenses as vignette will be reduced. On telephoto (i.g. 70-200/4L IS) it does not make too much (in fact, any) difference when using a thin filter or a regular.

i am planning on using it right now on my 17-85 and 70-200. i will get a different filter for my wide lens when I get it , i suppose you suggest a thinner one for that one? So what should I get for the lenses I want to use it on? What would work best? i am learning and know nothing, so I love all your advice.[Y]

you guys are the best! I could spend all day on this forum but I have to earn money to buy my lenses []

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    i will get a different filter for my wide lens when I get it , i suppose you suggest a thinner one for that one?

If you plan to shoot with the aperture wide open, you will probably want a thinner one. If you plan to stop down the lens when using the polarizer, it probably won't make much of a difference whether it is thin or normal.

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    So what should I get for the lenses I want to use it on? What would work best?

I would recommend this one. Of course, a more expensive one will probably be better quality, but I've never had any problems with mine (the 77mm).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lucia
    I've found Hoya filters to be high-quality and tough enough to take a
    smack or two, but for some reason they seem more difficult to clean
    than B+W. No matter how many times I go over them, my Hoya filters have
    this filmy smeariness (very light, but I can see it) that just won't
    come clean.

I've had this problem on my 2 Hoya UV filters, but not my Hoya polarizer. Maybe that's because I don't use my polarizer for every single shot. My 3 B+W Uv filters are really easy to clean, but they cost more. :-(

I've found Hoya filters to be high-quality and tough enough to take a smack or two, but for some reason they seem more difficult to clean than B+W. No matter how many times I go over them, my Hoya filters have this filmy smeariness (very light, but I can see it) that just won't come clean.

I've also been impressed with Calumet's house brand of filters, and the price is very good. A salesperson told me once that Calumet's filters are made by Hoya, but I haven't had the cleaning problem with them.

I should add that I haven't bought a Hoya filter in several years, and they may have changed since mine were manufactured.