Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STOP the madness!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

STOP the madness!

Ok, someone please tell me if I'm insane or if this makes any sense at all to do! Other than the miscellaneous items I already posted for sale (none of which have sold []), I am thinking of doing the following ...

Maybe selling:
    Canon 100-400mm (less than a yr. old)
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 (only a couple months old)
    Canon 1.4ex II (less than a yr. old)
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 (less than 6 mths. old & one of my favorites)

and a BIG MAYBE ...sell my Canon 17-55mm f/2.8

AND maybe buying:

5D II
    Canon's new 70-300mm
    Sigma's new 85mm f/1.4

And probably would hang on to my 24-105mm, 35mm f/1.4 L, 50mm f/1.4.

Although, I would love to have the MP-E 65mm, I can't justify owning that one ...yet!

Does this make any sense at all to do or am I totally insane?

Denise

Re: STOP the madness!

The 24-105 & 70-300 would be similar focal lengths to what you
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I'm not sure I'd sell the 70-200mm f/4L and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L in favor of the new 70-300mm f/4-5.6L. The image quality from the 70-200mm is amazing as it is, I don't think the 70-300mm could be anything but marginally better, and even then in real-world situations you probably wouldn't be able to tell. The constant aperture of the 70-200mm is a big plus, I didn't check but I'm betting the 70-300mm is only about f/5.0 at 200mm. Seeing that you have the 100-400mm, you might be disappointed with the reach on the 70-300mm.

What are your reasons for wanting to go full-frame? It seems like with your proposition you'd be loosing a lot of flexibility just for the 5DII. It also doesn't help that there are rebates on some of those lenses now, so you'll lose even more money on them.

What other lenses do you have right now? It's too bad the 17-55mm f/2.8 won't work on the 5DII, it'll make you want the 24-70mm f/2.8L.

Some food for thought on the Sigma 85mm f/1.4:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPFX2L9Ve8
    - Trowski

Easy. Just buy the new stuff, but don't sell your old stuff. []

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Easy. Just buy the new stuff, but don't sell your old stuff. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Now you're talkin'!! Only bad part is my bank account is telling me something totally different!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Now you're talkin'!! Only bad part is my bank account is telling me something totally different!

Ah, that. Well, perhaps you could get the new body before buying/selling new lenses. After playing with the 5DII a bit (with the lenses you have) you might change your mind about what you need, or (more likely) be able to buy/sell those lenses with more confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Only bad part is my bank account is telling me something totally different!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I wish my bank account would stop telling me things lie this too.

Mark
    Mark

I would wait for some reviews on the 70-300

Personally the way I like to shoot, you would be double covered now with the 70-200 and 100-400. I would only sell if I traded up. And we do not know yet if the new 70-300 will be a upgrade in quality over those two. If it were me with what we know for sure on lens a 70-200 f/2.8 is would make more sense. Or next step up to primes.

That said, the new70-300 sure would be handy to carry around.

That might be a big consideration for you, it

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Easy. Just buy the new stuff, but don't sell your old stuff. [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Oh....this forum is so dangerous.

Hi Denise...would you keep your 7D?

A few quick reactions, assuming you are keeping the 7D:
    • 100-400L:I've seen a lot of great pictures from you with the 7D and the 100-400L taken at 400mm. Are you sureyou to give up that combination. Plus, the 100-400L IS II is rumored to be coming out in 2011 ([:P]). Ok...don't count on that. Do you think you'd be happy with 300 mm and the 7D? If you aren't going to keep the 7D, it seems like you would be giving up a lot of reach.
    • 70-200 f/4 (IS??): I recall a few photos from you with this lens, soI am not sure you use it much.Do you?
    • 17-55 f/2.8: Just a quick reaction here, but it seems that you'd be trading f2.8 on your 7D with this lens for better ISO performance with the 5D but f4 with the24-105.Of course, with your primes you'd get the extra light and better noise performance.
    • 70-300L. I was tempted by this lens too. Smaller, lighter and better IS/IQ (likely) than the 100-400L. But in 6 months it may be cheaper and you'll have reviews to judge it by.

Playing with the math, you may still be kicking in ~$1,000-$1,500. At that point, if you don't use it much, I might be tempted start your transition in steps andsell the 70-200 f/4 and buy the 5DII and leave everything else the same....for now []. But I am a boring engineer....[8-|]

Brant

Ok...I started my post, got distracted...posted it...and wow, about 5 new messages.....but the primary comment that now seems irrelevant is the third bullet about the 17-55 f2.8. I thought crop factors didn't impact aperture [8-)][*-)], but if they do....then this bullet is wrong and I might start considering a FF!!!<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"] <span style="font-size: xx-small;"](in about 2 yrs).......

<span style="background-color: #ffffff;"]<span style="font-size: xx-small;"]