Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Eclipse--May 20th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Solar Eclipse--May 20th

Just saw this on my homepage at work:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47372811.../#.T6vvROtKRLc

It looks like a solar eclipse on May 20th from China to Texas. I will actually be in California on business on May 20th, so I might get a shot at this. I thought I'd post in case anyone else is interested....

I'd say go for it if you've got the chance! I'm not sure if it's hard to photograph, but if it looks anything like a lunar eclipse, it's worth it

last time I saw one in Germany the sky was overcast. Is anybody here buying filters already, or are you all set with what you have?

Arnt

I am just starting to think about how I would shoot it and hoping for giod weather.

Suggestions are welcome.

I heard (read) a lot of shops in the US were out of ND10k filters already.
    Too bad it's mostly going over the ocean, nothing near aus. Just for reference, would ND400 be sufficient does anyone think?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

A bit better of image showing the track across the US. Bob, it looks like you may have a great seat. I will be in Monterey, CA, so I am a little south.

+

BTW, I am still looking into how to best photograph it, but here is a link I found:
    http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 05-14-2012 at 10:08 PM.

I recall as a child making a perfectly passable pinhole camera to "see" the eclipse. I have to imagine that with a perfect pinhole (from an optical supplier not the hole I made with the sharp end of a compass) one should be able to image this properly. The good news is there's plenty of time to perfect your rig as you can just image the sun until the appropriate time (or the moon at a massive ISO as the subtend about the same angle in the sky).

If you happen to have a really nice tracker for your telescope you can use a really small pinhole. Yes, you'll be diffraction limited but if it's a nearly perfect pinhole you should be able to process that effect out.

Kayaker,
    are you going to be in Monterey, or planning to head further north? Just wondering because I'm in the bay area, maybe I could help out with anything.

Btw, there are kayaking opportunities in Monterey and Moss Landing State Wildlife Area.

Arnt

D_rn I missed it. Any luck anyone?

Arnt

Too many buildings in the way. I think I am too far south anyway
    Mark