Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rental suggestions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rental suggestions?

I'm heading to Seattle with my girlfriend for 8.5 days in mid-August. We'll be attending a wedding (she'll be in it) and I'll be taking some pictures at it. We aren't the hired photographers, and I want to make an (initial) effort to let the hired photog do his thing (his contract says the guest list can't include any professional photographers - I've never earned a dollar for any of my pictures, so it'll be interesting discussions if it comes up). We may also attend a Canon seminar "Environmental Portraits and Landscapes with EOS" at a park in Seattle. I'll bet we'll do a bunch of touristy stuff during our time there, in between her duties as maid of honor, etc. It's our "fun" trip for the year, and I'm willing to spend a bit for some fun stuff to rent while we're there. We'll have portraiture, landscapes, street shooting, etc. Any comments on the below list of ideas, or others you might throw in?

Our current owned/borrowed arsenal:

Cameras: Canon 1D Mark III, 40D, Rebel XTi

Lenses: Canon 16-35/2.8II, 24-105/4LIS, 28-135, 50/1.8, 70-200/2.8IS, 85/1.2

Other: Four 580EXII, stands, gels, umbrellas, reflector

Rental ideas (I'm thinking two rentals max, but could get talked into three with a good reason):

24 tilt/shift (I know it's manual focus, but since I'm not the prime wedding photog, I can play)

17 tilt/shift (it's Seattle...assuming the lens is even available)

200/2 (I've heard so many great things about this lens...mega-pricey, but it'd be fun!)

24/1.4II

35/1.4

Other thoughts?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Rental suggestions?

I'd take...
    1. 1D Mark III
    2. 40D
    3. 16-35 f/2.8
    4. 70-200 f/2.8 IS
    5. 80 f/1.2
    6. 2 580EX II

That's a lot already. The more gear you bring the less photos you take []

The only rental that I would consider is the 100-400 if you're into wildlife/bird, otherwise I'd only bring what listed above.

If I rent something, first I must know that the photography I'll be doingrequires it, then I'll use it exclusively on my trip to make it worth the fee, I don't rent in just so I'd have it available, that's just me []

Have fun on your trip..

Nate,

"The more gear you bring the less photos you take"

Truer words have never been said. I also agree with Sinh's suggestions with one exception, I'd switch out the 16-35 with the 24-105 because it's my personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I'd take...
    1. 1D Mark III
    2. 40D
    3. 16-35 f/2.8
    4. 70-200 f/2.8 IS
    5. 85 f/1.2
    6. miltiple 580EX II

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'll second this lineup. That's indeed a lot of stuff going with you already. I can imagine having the 40D + 85/1.2L and 1D III + either 16-35 or 70-200 will work out great.

For the sake of clarification, for the workshop and touristy activities, there will be two of us shooting (and therefore two people carrying two camera bags). We usually go into a particular event with a quick discussion that boils down to either "you shoot wide, I'll shoot tight" or "we'll share" or "I'm not shooting, but I'll carry a small bag", etc. She tends to prefer the landscapey, wider shots, and I'm more of a telephoto kind of shooter (most of the time).

The Canon 10-22 is another possibility. She's used it and liked it, but that was a time when our two main cameras were in separate places (i.e. I had the 1D3 and 16-35, so she had a 10-22 for her wide needs). And I may have a less-than-stellar 24-105, as I don't miss it at all if I have the 16-35, the 50, and a telephoto (85 or 70-200).

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I'm enjoying your input.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Would you be considering to rent a FF camera (such as the 5D II) and a 14mm f/2.8L II? The f2.8 is just about fast enough for indoors as you have known and the 14mm is very exotic on FF. This way you can come real close to your objects (i.g. group of people) to get an unique angle of view. If flexibility is the key then use the 16-35L on the FF body will give you real 16mm too, that way you can spare the 10-22. I guess the 16-35L on FF body will yield better IQ than 10-22 on 40D. The combo is faster too.

The 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 are good ones to try as well - I personally will not hesitate to rent if I need them.

Canon 10-22 Zoom is a lot of fun for city shots and general landscapes, not too spendy for rentals either.

I think you should rent the 200 f/2 just to get a picture of the photographer as he eyeballs that piece of hardware in the hands of an 'amateur'.

BTW, make sure to go to the fish market. way cool!

And since it's such a fast lens, I'm sure you'll have no problem focusing right on those nice wide-open eyes even in low light. LOL

But to make sure he really trips out, might I suggest the 400/2.8 instead? Just pretend you're at a Daytona rally instead of at a wedding. After all, some weddings are about as explosive. [&lt;)]

There is a store in Seattle called Glazers. It's right downtown, has a good selection of lenses onhand and if you rent on Friday afternoon and return on Monday morning you get 2-3 days rental for the price of one I'm told. Search "Glazers, Seattle" in Google and check out their rental list and prices.

Go to the Pike Place Market. It's a must for most tourists and a definite must for a photographer. Just as good on a rainy day (although your light won't be quite as good) since it is covered. You can also walk down to the Seattle Waterfront from there. If you have time, take a ferry ride just for the hell of it... but only if you have spare time.

The Space Neddle is so-so. If you want the all-around view then do it, might as well hit the Seattle Center in general (btw, Glazers is VERY close to there). If you'd rather a really good but more limited view, go to the Columbia Tower Observation Deck (I think they've changed the name of the Columbia Tower, but it's the tallest building in Seattle and black - the deck is on the 72nd-74th floor or somewhere thereabouts, and I hear women are supposed to check out the bathroom there, not quite sure why - supposedly something spectalular about it).

Pioneer Square is a good area for photographers also.

If it's a sunny day and you want a grassy area to hang out on the water with a decent view, and if you like shooting old rusty metalwork, check out Gas Works Park. Maybe grab yourself a picnic lunch from Pike Place before heading there.